any one ever build their own trailer ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:38 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any one ever build their own trailer ?

I'm concidering building my own trailer and want to get some insite from someone that's already done this.

I have a large tig welder and plasma cutter and the room to do the fab work. I'm concerned about getting this thru the CHP and DMV. How do you get a GVWR?
This would be a 5th wheel type used to haul cars.

Thanks, KarlJay.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:42 AM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Call and ask. Most often its just the sum of the axles... but that assumes the frame is stronger than the axles.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:42 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
FWIW, I have priced doing it several times and for what some of these outfits are selling trailers for it has yet to be worth it.

gvwr will be based off your axle rating.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Northern Tool sells approved plans for trailers, might be worth checking out. I rebuilt a 5000lb landscape trailer into a 10k car/equipment hauler, but it's under 2000lbs empty so I don't have to title it or anything.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:22 AM
ponyboy123
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of BS involved when trying to build your own trailer for road use. Look around for a used/rebuildable trailer and then you at least have a ser. # and a permit to work with. Those seem to be the hardest part of the trailer construction. The rest is a piece of cake. My best adice for the building process is over build everything. I like to build mine to a larger safety margin than most would recomend. But then when I need to push them a little harder, I have the confidence to do so.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:03 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> How do you get a GVWR?

Your coupler or axles, whichever is lower.

A 6" x 1/4" channel frame is usually used for 7K car trailers with a 6 H x 3 W" tongue with two 3500 pound axles.

Sometimes the easiest way to determine how and what to build is visit several different trailer places and take measurements. You will find many of the cheap utility trailers have about 4" x 1/8" channel frames.

Last edited by rebocardo; 11-18-2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: word change for calrity
Old 11-18-2008, 11:45 PM
four4x4fords
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm with mudmaker on the price to build. I was given a 2 axle boat trail and checked into getting springs, axles, brakes, surge brake cylinder, lights, fenders lights wheels and tires.All new parts cost over $1500,00. I can buy good used car trailers for $1500.00 all day long an they have titles!!
If you want to build one think it through and as suggested, check out factory built trailers and see how they did it.A car trailer is really pretty simple and there is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:41 PM
stryder
Fleet Mechanic
Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts
I'd like to know how you guys come out with it being more expensive. Then again I guess it does depend on where you live. I'm in the works of building my own 2000lbs 5x10 tilt utility as soon as deer season ends and I have more time. When finished, I'll have spent about half building it and that is even with tubing for all the framework, and a diamond tread floor. Used ones around here are ridiculous, anywhere from $500-$800. Even then, they are pretty beat up. I went to an auction for one and it sold for $550, and it needed a new wood floor. Parts list below. Cost new averages $1100. For this you get 1/8" angle iron frame, and a wood floor. Here is my list below.
All steel -> $400
Axle/springs/mounts -> $180
Coupler/paint-> $50
Rims/tires (used) -> $40
--------------------------------
Total ->$670

Edit: If I would build it like the cheapo trailers, I could do it for under $500

Old 11-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Dan7378
Junior User
It is more expensive to build a trailer than it is to buy one,trust me I been working on them for years now.The trailer manufactures buy all their material and parts in bulk and get it cheaper than someone could if you were only building one.
I built a 4'X6' trailer for my mobile welder and it cost me about 3 times the cost to buy a trailer of the same size.
But me personally I'm all for building your own than buying it does cost more money but that's how I am.

If u got the time and money build your own if not buy one.

Dan

Old 11-26-2008, 11:09 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dan7378
It is more expensive to build a trailer than it is to buy one,trust me I been working on them for years now.The trailer manufactures buy all their material and parts in bulk and get it cheaper than someone could if you were only building one.
I built a 4'X6' trailer for my mobile welder and it cost me about 3 times the cost to buy a trailer of the same size.
But me personally I'm all for building your own than buying it does cost more money but that's how I am.

If u got the time and money build your own if not buy one.

Dan
Completely agree with ya!

The price of steel is much different for us average guys than it is for the outfits that can buy it in bulk. (same goes for axles, jacks, etc.)

Old 11-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It really depends on your background and what you have to start with. Personally, I would not use 1/8" angle for a trailer I was putting much of any weight on. Mine is 1/4"x2" angle, with 4" ship channel for the tongue.
I got the axles for $150 a piece with tires, the bare worn out frame for $200, the tongue was $30, and the steel was about $150. That's just a bit under $700, for a heavy duty trailer with electric brakes, that can carry a loaded full size pickup with ease.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:42 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
In the past 40 years I have probly built a couple dozen trailers the last time I needed one I bought it new as cheap or cheaper than building it myself

Old 11-27-2008, 07:39 PM
stryder
Fleet Mechanic
Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Personally, I would not use 1/8" angle for a trailer I was putting much of any weight on.
Couldn't agree more. That is where most manufactures make their money...using light angle and wood floors. Its cheap compared to channel, and will handle lawnmowers, ATVs, and light duty stuff the majority of people use those trailers for. For that, light angle is fine. Its when you actually try to load those to the axle's full capacity that they get scary.
The only steel that has gotten ridiculous in price for the average fabricator is plate and tubing. Angle and channel are still relatively cheap. I went with tubing for ease of assembly and torsional strength. Plus I didnt want the weight of a 4 or 5 inch channel for the web width I would need for the spring mounts.
My point is, it can be cheaper to build if you have the tools and ability to do so. Plus if I want to load it to capacity, I dont have to worry about anything bending or twisting.
Also, try calling some local fab shops. A lot of times you can by raw stock from them cheaper than the distributor, and in some cases you can order it cut to length cheaper as well.

Now specifically to KarlJay. For a 5th wheel, you may be better off trying to find a good used one. However, you'll find most car haulers or flatbeds will be goosenecks. Not that I'd discourage from building your own, but you'll definitly have DOT inspections and so forth to deal with. With a good set of approved plans, you shouldnt have any problems if you decide to make one. Just a little more work to get it on the road.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:06 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The trailer I have in mind is a 4 car hauler. You've probably seen the 3 car wedge trailers, this is different than what I have in mind. I'm looking at a 2 car 5th wheel, with another 2 cars stacked on top. This would be lifted with a 12volt elec over hydro pump. I'm thinking the bottom would be about 33' deck length and 30 or so for the top. total length of about 38~40 feet.
the axles would be 2x12K.

The problem with buying one is a new one runs in the $18K+ range and the used ones are the 3 car design and usually far away from me.
The upside of this design is that I can fit it in my driveway for working on it, where as the 53' would be very hard it get down the driveway.
I know steel aint cheep, but it has dropped a lot in the last month or so.
One of the guys at the shop showed me his 5th wheel trailer that they made, he got a number thru CHP and DMV did an inspection. didn't seem that hard.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:06 PM
97squarebody
Senior User
If you are after something that custom, you are probably better off building it yourself. This of course is assuming that you have the necessary tools and skills. I am also from Northern California and it is not particularly difficult to register a home built trailer for personal use. From the sounds of it, this trailer may fall under commercial use (How this is determined may not actually involve the intended use of the trailer eg. weight.) and that may significantly change the process. Call DMV, AND CHP. I went through a circus getting the straight answer for a trailer I was looking to buy, finally I ended up getting a less than well known number to a commercial CHP at one of the weight scales on I-5. At that point, I got straight, real answers over what they wanted. In your case you must involve DMV also because you need a registration first. Not sure how it works but DMV and CHP do not always have the same requirements (how ever that works??????).

Secondly, as for the price of steel and axles, shop, shop, shop. I have found the variation between outlets to be huge. In many cases it is kind of like auto parts, retail is one price, business range in one area, and mechanics range in another. All of this adds up to significant possible savings. If you talk to the outlet, you may be able to get all the steel in one purchase for a significant savings. As mentioned you may be able to get a better price through a business, especally if they can just tack on your order to their regular order.