Oil & Lubrication  

Mobil1 ATF Mercon V: old vs new: what is the difference and what is the best ATF??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Izb
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobil1 ATF Mercon V: old vs new: what is the difference and what is the best ATF??

In 2008 Mobil renewed formula of Mobil1 Synthetic ATF Mercon5.

The specification of old Mobil1 ATF MerconV now is absent on www.mobiloil.com, but you can found it on Australian site.

What is the difference?

OLD Mobil11 ATF Mercon V (2004-2007):
http://www.mobil.com/Australia-Engli...thetic_ATF.asp
http://www.mobil.com/Australia-Engli...thetic_atf.pdf

Brookfield Viscosity, ASTM D 5293 -cP @ -40º C 5190
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -54
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 236

NEW Mobil1 ATF Mercon V (since 2008, has yellow oval on the top of the bottle):
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...thetic_ATF.asp
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...thetic_atf.pdf
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx

New values:
Brookfield Viscosity, ASTM D 5293 -cP @ -40º C 10,040
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -41
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 200

As I understand, new formula is MUCH worse then old one?
Why?

Old 11-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't know what the answer is to your specific question, but I wonder if the answer is related to the recent change in Mercon V specs.

Unfortunately, it's been difficult finding information on what the differences are between the old and new Mercon V specs. And that makes me a little nervous, because I know my Ranger's 5R55E auto is very discriminating when it comes to ATF fluid. I've been wanting to do a flush and fill but I'm concerned about putting in some new, watered-down version of Mercon V.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:15 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
So buy the Mercon V directly from Ford-Lincoln-Mercury. Last time I changed my Lincoln's tranny fluid, the local Lincoln dealer had the best price.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
So buy the Mercon V directly from Ford-Lincoln-Mercury. Last time I changed my Lincoln's tranny fluid, the local Lincoln dealer had the best price.
It's not the brand I'm concerned about, it's the new Mercon V specs.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:38 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
I too wonder about the new recipe Motorcraft Mercon-V/Mercon, as it's recipe now says we can also use it in previous Mercon specified call outs, so seems to me they must have at least messed with the modified coefficient of friction properties.

Looking at the above viscosity, pour point & flash point differences, between the old & new Mobil-1 Mercon-V recipies, it kinda looks like maybe Mobil has messed with the base oil, maybe snuck in a group-3 base oil, in lieu of a PAO, because PAO supplies have been tight for years now & group-3 base oils have been improving in quality & price, maybe to the point Mobil just couldn't stand not raking in the gravy money, kinda like Castrol did when they switched from a PAO to Group-3 base oil for our domestic Syntech market when the courts decided that Group-3 base oils could be defined as "synthetic"!!!!! Heck theirs now even a Group-4 base oil.

Anyway Rockledge, I've been using the new recipe Motorcraft Mercon-V in my 99 Rangers 5R55E tranny for about a year now, so far without problems. I really couldn't tell any difference in shift quality after the change & I did a pan drop & full pump out on the 5R55E.

But I've not yet put the new recipe Motorcraft Mercon-V/Mercon, in my 94 Taurus AXODE tranny, which calls for the old recipe Mercon.

More Mercon-V thoughts for pondering.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:03 PM
212nut
Freshman User
there are few producers of the new mercon spec. the best advice is stick to your dealer. one of the biggest changes was the shear rate at low temps

Old 11-20-2008, 04:33 AM
Izb
Freshman User
I think newest Mobil-1 is SEMI-Synthetic ATF:
"Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF combines high-performance synthetic hydrocarbon base oils and a superior balanced additive system to provide significantly higher levels of performance above conventional fluids."

Old 11-20-2008, 07:20 AM
pawpaw
Yup, if we read between the lines, it's suggesting Group-3 base oils are used.

Nothing wrong with that, just that folks see the Mobil name & associate it & "synthetic" with a PAO base lube & assume their tranny fluid that they've just paid BIG bucks for, is all PAO, which it isn't.

Motorcraft Mercon-V is semi-synthetic, using Group-3 base oils too, but for less $$$$.

Use whatever makes you, your wallet & your tranny feel good!!!! lol

Old 11-20-2008, 09:21 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see two things going on here.

1. I know there is a shortage of PAO base oil right now.

2. Mobil One may be getting arrogant as the leading brand so that they can now just barely exceed instead of greatly exceed requirements and still charge a premium price based on past reputation. What percentage of customers have even heard of PAO? How many are going to notice a difference in performance? If this is so, it is typical for modern US companies and is contributing to our ultimate downfall as the world economic power.

Jim

Old 11-20-2008, 10:19 AM
pawpaw
Yup Castrol was the one that "broke" the meaning of the word "synthetic", by getting the courts to agree that highly refined mineral oil, technically met the definition of the term "synthetic".

Then continued on to change their US marketed "Syntech" recipe to Group-3 mineral base oil & charged the same price for it.

Now they have the "Liquid Engineering" marketing term attached, to try & enhance the character of the product some more, so the customer feels they are getting something really special.

I suppose "Castoria" & "Kool Aid" could also qualify for the term "liquid engineered"!!!! lol

Old 11-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Izb
Freshman User
I think new Mobil-1 is SEMI-Synthetic ATF:
"Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF combines high-performance synthetic hydrocarbon base oils and a superior balanced additive system to provide significantly higher levels of performance above conventional fluids."

Old 11-20-2008, 04:31 PM
212nut
Freshman User
actually there is not a shortage, the problem is they have cut back the number of lubricant refineries. this was done so they could produce items like gasoline, diesel and propane products