Sponsored by: DP Tuner

sway bar link question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:11 AM
hdman6
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sway bar link question

i need to replace my sway bar links. The bushings are shot. I was thinking of ordering new ones from the dealer but im not sure if they have the top and bottom bushing installed when the arrive or if it is a sererate item. I figured i would then replace the old ones with the poly bushing and have them ready for the next time. Any one know if the links come ready to go in? I see Tousley ford has them for 45 bucks each. thanks Jeff

Old 11-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Orezona
Postmaster
The links will come ready. But I'd just order the poly bushings and be done with it. I did what you are thinking and regretted it.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:01 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the link ends from ford. They cost me a little over 60.00, there are cheaper and smaller ones, but I have a dually and mine are big. Make sure you have the right ones. When I went to a parts store, they showed me the ones that are for my truck. I took one outside and put it up next to the one on my truck and it was way to small.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:21 AM
firemedicgreg
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go for the poly's. I put them in mine. You will probably have to press the old bushings out. Mine didnt come out easy.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:37 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's a link for Energy Suspension LINK Under 35 dollars plus shipping for all the poly bushings and new endlink bolts, washers and nuts. This is where I got mine. The old endlink bushings are easier to get out than you think. I didn't even need a press.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:12 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Here's a link for Energy Suspension LINK Under 35 dollars plus shipping for all the poly bushings and new endlink bolts, washers and nuts. This is where I got mine. The old endlink bushings are easier to get out than you think. I didn't even need a press.
Robin, yours must have been really worn out! I ended up taking the links to a mechanics shop and pressed out with a 60 ton shop press for $20. The hydraulic motor on the press was groaning and when they popped, it sounded like someone shot a .44 in the shop!

Old 11-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
I had to get mine pressed out at a machine shop.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:30 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by guzzle92
Robin, yours must have been really worn out! I ended up taking the links to a mechanics shop and pressed out with a 60 ton shop press for $20. The hydraulic motor on the press was groaning and when they popped, it sounded like someone shot a .44 in the shop!
Bob, they were pretty worn but only had 95k on truck. This tip from Ron (Ron's Power Stroke) worked great. Run a small drill bit around the collar in the bushing, like a roto zip. Knock out collar and then using hack saw blade cut bushing lengthwise into two pieces and knock it out. Had all four endlink bushings out in about 20 minutes. The press expands the bushing in the endlink and it just gets tighter and tighter until POW when the press finally overcomes the pressure. The original bushings have a slight hour glass shape and that is why they expand in the endlink, just like they are designed to do. MHO.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:49 PM
dartol
Junior User
I just did mine today, replaced with the Energy Suspension poly ones. I used the Autozone 'loan-a-tool' ball joint press and it worked perfectly!
AutoZone.com | In Our Stores | Loan-A-Tool Program

It was $135 deposit, but I already got that refunded when I took it back.

Darren

Old 11-16-2008, 02:26 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
A propane tourch sure helps. That rubber burns pretty good. Just repaint the links before you reinstall.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:53 PM
hdman6
Tuned
Question

Ok, Thanks for the replies on this, I found the bushing set i think for 34.31. It says Complete front sway bar + end link bushings set -32 mm. Hope thats the right one. Now one more thing is I was told I need the rear stabilizer bushings as well. Im not sure whin=ch ones i need for the rear. Anybody done the rear ones also? Here is how i am doing all these repairs. I went to the dealer for my usual oil change/rotate tire stuff ( I purchased a 12 coupon book when i bought it) I them asked them to check ou the noises i have been hearing and i got a detailed list of the things that need fixing. i am also replacing the right front hub assembly this weekend. but i want to do the bushings before winter gets here. So any help on the back would be great also. thanks Jeff

Old 11-16-2008, 06:06 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Not sure about the rear, but the list can be thrown away. What's wrong with your hub and why do you need a new one?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:24 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
I think Ford offered an optional rear stabilizer and may have come with a package similar to what the newer SRW trucks have in the 'camper' package. You may have to call Energy Suspension to see if they even offer a kit for that.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:52 PM
hdman6
Tuned
I was already suspect of the right hub needing replacement. I just finished the left front about a month ago. My tire wore bad on the inside and I could hear the bearing grinding also. I replaced the hub assembly and its fine now. And now the right front is doing the same thing so I already was pretty sure but I figured I would let the dealer tell me as well to verify that. I will have to recheck the rear out to make sure about any bushings etc. If they dont make any replacement I may be going with the Ford version. Thanks for all your help ou there. Jeff

Old 11-16-2008, 07:31 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hdman6
the rear ones also?
The 32mm kit is the correct one. The rear bushing kit was right next to it. LINK Part Number: 4.5187