6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Gas Pedal goes dead

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 05:01 PM
yz400f
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Pedal goes dead

Anyone with an idea about this? Every once and awhile (maybe once a week or two) my gas pedal goes dead or has no affect anymore. Most of the time it just idles fine but will not increase in RPM with the push of the pedal. Every 5<SUP>th</SUP> time (guess) it will run rough and die. Every time I let it sit for 2 or 3 minuets and she cranks up and goes.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Just for some history, I have changed both fuel filters ( long shot) I had the EGR replaced about 2 months ago ( sticking open and would not run), ran a speedo cable down the Exhaust pressure sensor. I unplugged the EGR after it was replaced and now have plugged it back in (thinking just maybe had something to do with it.... it did not.)
<o></o>
It does not give me a light and there are no codes with my scanner.
<o></o>
I have an
<o></o>
05 scurge with a 6.0
AirRaid
Cat seems to be missing………..
Edge Juice with Attitude

Old 11-14-2008, 07:14 PM
FTX
Senior User
Check the connector on the electronic pedal and make sure it is seated completely. Of course you could have bigger issues, but it could just be the connector.

BTW, when you have this issue do you see the yellow "wrench" lit on the instrument cluster?

Old 11-14-2008, 08:46 PM
yz400f
Senior User
No light at all.
I will check the connector in the morning. That makes sense. It has the adjustable pedals and they are set diff for me and my wife. I would love for it to be something that simple.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:03 AM
WesDaBest
Freshman User
My Dad's 7.3 had the exact same symptoms and it turned out to be the cam shaft position sensor. Like you said at times the gas pedal would have no effect and then all of a sudden it would pick up and go. May not be your problem just throwing some options out for you.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:39 PM
yz400f
Senior User
Pedal seems to be plugged in pretty well. Would the Cam Sensor not throw a code? Also, My wife is stating that it Surges during the times that we are having problems. I have not noticed that but she is pretty good with these things. Says that she will be stopped at a light and it will want to take off for 1 or 2 seconds and then go back to normal. I am going to be in trouble if it has two problems.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:23 PM
FTX
Senior User
When it seems to be running properly, including the idle, turn off the engine (and remove the key) wait a few minutes, unplug your EGR valve, then drive it for a while and see how it does. If it starts to act OK you have a sticking EGR valve.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:08 PM
yz400f
Senior User
Bad or sticking ERG will cause a Dead gas pedal?

Old 11-15-2008, 04:17 PM
FTX
Senior User
Some of your symptoms fit, and verbal descriptions of symptoms can be presented and interpreted many different ways. I am throwing out some simple easy 1-2 minutes tricks to try, in hopes you can find an easy and/or inexpensive fix to your problem.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:57 PM
pete98cobra
Mountain Pass
I had the same issues with my 07. I shut mine off on the side of the road ,and it would not start. Had to have it towed in. Dealer could not figure what was wrong. They said no codes poped up.The truck now has a black box to record data.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:56 AM
grady24
Freshman User
pete, any more info on this issue? Anybody else have this problem?

My 07 F250 is doing the same thing. Initially it had intermittent starting issues and if it would start it would barely idle and had a dead gas pedal. It now is happening while driving that the gas pedal will go dead and will be driving down the street barely idling.

It's been at the dealer 3 times with no fix as of yet.

This problem is intermittent and appears to be tough to troubleshoot. No codes and no warning lights.

Anybody have a clue what might be happening?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:07 AM
lawnboy1965
Senior User
My 04 did the same thing. If I held it to the floor while it was in this mode and the turbo viens would slam open, dump a lot of smoke and then work again for awhile. Finally ended up changing the turbo, that was before they cleaned them as they do now. So if you try this and you get the black and I mean BLACK smoke and a over boost situation you are probably experiencing the same thing I did. Might just need a turbo cleaning.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grady24
pete, any more info on this issue? Anybody else have this problem?

My 07 F250 is doing the same thing. Initially it had intermittent starting issues and if it would start it would barely idle and had a dead gas pedal. It now is happening while driving that the gas pedal will go dead and will be driving down the street barely idling.

It's been at the dealer 3 times with no fix as of yet.

This problem is intermittent and appears to be tough to troubleshoot. No codes and no warning lights.

Anybody have a clue what might be happening?
Mine did this 1 time I had to idle across the bridge and pull over ,, shut her down and fired back up all was well ,,a week later it completely died
the ICP harness was replaced and no future issue on mine

mine threw a code when the peddle died
p0299 turbo underboost related? not sure

when the icp harness finally failed i pulled a p2289

Old 12-02-2009, 12:07 PM
barnbridge
Elder User
Mine did the same thing. It was the accelerator pedal assembly.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:04 AM
pete98cobra
Mountain Pass
Grady...My 07 did it once .Dead gas peddle.Had to idle across a big intersection.I shut the truck off .Checked everything I could think of.Truck wouldnt start.Disconnected battery to see if that would help.Truck still wouldnt start .Called to have it towed . Dealership said there was no codes thrown except history of me disconnecting batteries.They told me truck was fine. Sent me on my way. Two weeks go by .Start truck up in my driveway .Starts up fine. Go to backup ,and its running really rough.Reved the motor a lil to see if it would help.No power .Would only idle back into driveway.Didnt touch batteries this time.Looked everything over again ,and everything looked good.Started next day .Ran fine .Then went to dealer to drop off.They still couldnt find anything wrong with it....lol.Just said they gave it the updated flash
Sorry about the brief response . Trying not to make it to long winded.
So far truck has bein running fine. Except for fuel gauge sticking on "E" after fill up a couple times,but thats a different story.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:20 AM
yz400f
Senior User
It has been awhile ago on this but I "THINK" the issue ended up being my ICP. (someone suggested that) Anyway, it did it again, dead peddle, I hopped out, and unplugged the ICP (mine is in the valve cover) looked at the connector, blew in it (seemed like the thing to do I guess) and plugged it back in. (the Scurg was running this whole time). It immediately started running great and it has never done it again. I do not know if unplugging it reset something, or if it was not making good contact or what, I know better than to unplug things while it is running, but at the time I was VERY sick of the thing and did it out of frustration.

Anyway, that was over a year ago now and I have not had the issue ever again.

My guess, ICP values were not what was expected and it locked the whole thing up.

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal goes dead