Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Hi, new member- Roush Nitemare owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Jbad
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Hi, new member- Roush Nitemare owner

Hey how are you all doin? I look forward to talking with you guys, sharing and recieving advice. The most important opinions to me are those from fellow owners of the vehicles in this catagory because we have similar intrists and taste. Anyway, names Jessi.. live in Tampa FL. I own a 07 Roush Nitemare (#39) which I've done a few things to already and the list of things to do still runs pages long. I'm having to prioritize what I want by how bad I want it and how much money I have. I'm currently deployed.. yes obviously I have internet access, but good news is that my wife is supportive enough and willing to take the Nitemare to Brandon Ford and display it when Jack Roush visits that dealership for one day (actually he will only be there for one hour). She plans on getting photos of coarse and coolest of all she's got a paint marker ready in case he's willing to sign the truck. Don't hesitate to hit me up, that's why I'm here.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:25 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Jessi, and welcome to FTE!

I have a 2006 Roush F150. Here's the list of what's been done so far:

2006 F150 FX4, Roush Stage 1 (supercharged) with the following performance related items
- Intercooled Roushcharger with slightly larger Lightning lower pulley (brings boost up from 6 to 8 lbs)
- Troyer E-fan kit
- Dual core radiator (its the heavy duty/towing radiator that Ford offers, twice as thick as the standard radiator)
- BC Automotive transmission with Level 10 (Mag clone) deep pan, triple disc hi-stall converter)
- Dynatech long tube headers
- Dynatech Supermaxx intermediate tubes with hi-flow catalytic converters
- Roush street exhaust (loud enough as it is with the long tubes, it would be obnoxious with their off-road exhaust), with Roush tips. Included with delivered truck
- Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires
- Autometer P-Tech gauge
- Autometer boost gauge with calibrating manifold
- Autometer wide-band O2
- Long Motorsports wide-band O2 (I use this one for tuning data-logging)
- DashDAQ data-logging/digital gauges computer, mounted in an Edge gauge mounting kit modified to fit the larger DashDAQ.
- Air/oil separator (had to make this myself, none of the good Lightning kits fit this truck
- Dyno tuning (3 times) by my good friend Mike Troyer
- Propods triple gauge pod

Roush Options Included with Truck as it was delivered:
- Full upper and lower stripe kit, and windshield banner
- Roush hood scope (not functional, but if any of you have seen the huge size of Roush's air filter you'd understand a functional one isn't needed!)
- Roush tailgate spoiler
- Roush chin spoiler
- Roush wheel flare kit
- Roush pedals
- Roush dash and door trim kit
- Roush leather seats
- Roush floor mats
- Roush 20 inch wheels, with Roush wheel lock kit
- Roush full suspension kit (very good kit, corners on rails considering the weight of the truck)
- Roush side and tailgate badges
- Roush billet grill

Roush Options added:
- Roush/Brandmotion navigation kit
- Roush billet fuel door
- Roush door sill plates
- Roush instrument cluster (wasn't offered until 2007, I need to give Brian over at Roush a shout out for his kindness in getting my 2006 retro-fitted!)
- Roush grill and tailgate oval overlay badges
- Roushcharger hood scope decals

Non-Roush non-performance add-ons:
- Retrax retractable tonnueu cover
- Brandmotion hands free Bluetooth with voice recognition
- UPR underhood and interior billet kits
- Black Harley-Davidson headlights and taillights
- Scangauge II (moved to my Super Duty now that I have a DashDAQ)
- Fumoto oil pan drain valve
- Brandmotion iPod interface
- Chromed stealth bulbs
- Viper Alarm
- Bell radar detector, hard-wired in the overhead console

Old 11-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Adamg247
New User
Hey Jbad,

Welcome to the forums. I am from Bradenton, FL. Have you contacted Troyer Performance yet? First thing I would do.

Adam

Old 11-15-2008, 02:37 AM
Jbad
New User
Originally Posted by Adamg247
Hey Jbad,

Welcome to the forums. I am from Bradenton, FL. Have you contacted Troyer Performance yet? First thing I would do.

Adam
I've never heard of them, but I did just check out their website. What specificaly did they do to earn your loyalty?

Old 11-15-2008, 09:02 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Mike Troyer has tuned more F150s than anyone else in the world. He's probably tuned more Roushcharged F150s than anyone as well. He's even given Roush some pointers, such as pinpointing the reason people were blowing motors in cold climates. Roush blamed that on the customers saying they weren't using premium, Mike looked at the calibrations and let them know they were adding too much timing as temperatures went down.

He's had my truck on the dyno 3 times. Part of that was tuning for me, part was R&D. I'm going for a 4th session later this winter, we'll be doing some things with... well, I'm not at liberty to say yet! I tuned a lot of vehicles over the years (still do but not commercially any longer) and he's the only guy besides myself I trust with my F150's calibrations.

Compare the results of his Roush tunes, mod for mod, to anyone. He gets more power, safely, than everyone else.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Jbad
New User
Thanks

Adam.. Ken, That’s a rather valuable tip that you guys just dropped in my lap! Thanks, I don't know what to say except that as soon as I get back I'm gonna have to try and meet this guy!

When I bought the truck from Champion Ford up in Kentucky (yes I drove to Kentucky to get my baby and yes I got a speeding ticket on the way back, haha.. I wouldn't have it any other way) and I opted for the extended warranty.. well, I came to regret that decision as all the ideas began coming to me of what I could really do to this truck. In defense of the decision I made to get that extra 3 years of warranty.. I thought.. what could I do and why would I do anything to a truck that already has 445 HP? Lol.. definitely not thinking that way now and I did get a refund on that extended warranty.

Last edited by Jbad; 11-15-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: errors
Old 11-15-2008, 04:30 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Get him on the phone and ask him some questions. Then call his competitors and ask the same things. It'll be really easy to judge who knows what.

I got pegged doing 120 in a 70 in the middle of the boonies, log stretch of straight road with no one around for miles. Believe it or not... he let me go with a warning!

As to a 445 HP truck... driveability. If tuning did nothing for horse power its still a night and day difference. The transmission shifts can be so much crisper, and the biggest plus is throttle response. The nagging delay with boost when you goose the pedal is gone! Longevity... yes, you heard that right! Roush pegs the duty cycle on the fuel pump damn near 100% at wide open throttle. My Roushcharger with its mods and Mike's tune is putting out almost 100HP more than a stock Roushcharger (at the wheels!) and the pump duty cycle is below 90% at max RPM.

Engine safety... Mike's tune can pull out a lot more timing, faster, than Roush's does, so if you get some bad gas you have a little extra margin. (This is something I did when I was tuning naturally aspirated engines, I put in more aggressive advance but allowed the tune to pull out more timing when needed). You probably won't run into this problem in Tampa, but trust me you don't want the combination of bad gas on a sub-freezing day with a stock Roush tune --- hit the wrong condition with intake temps and there goes a piston!

That's a bad *** truck you have, a lot lighter than my 4x4 Supercrew, and it'll run like a scalded dog with just a larger crank/boost pulley and a good tune. You think its quick now... just wait. 0 - 30 mph my 6500 lb Supercrew beats my brother's 2006 Corvette (I'm not foolish enough to try to take him on in the quarter mile though).

Here's the history with my truck and tuning/upgrades...

Started off as a Stage 1 Roush (no supercharger).
2006 F150 Supercrew FX4 (4x4) with heavy 20" Roush wheels it put out about 215 HP to the wheels. Installed the Roushcharger and it went up to 328 RWHP (that may not be the exact number but its close, I have to look up the article I wrote for the exact number). Your truck should be putting out slightly more (10 - 15 HP) power to the wheels because it doesn't have a transfer case.

Next, we put it on the dyno, added an extra 1 to 1.5 lbs of boost across the RPM range with a larger pulley and tuned it. Throttle response became instant and RWHP shot up to 376.

Next, removed the heavy stock radiator fan and replace it with dual electric fans. Dyno HP went up by about 10HP overall but throttle response at low end RPMs went up even more.

Next, added long tube headers with high flow catalytic converters. More tuning was done, since Mike's Roush tuning had advanced a lot since the last time, plus the "transport delay" for the O2 sensors had to be adjusted for the long tubes. Horsepower varied (several pulls and the engine heat soaked just a bit) from 410 RWHP to much higher. We couldn't get exact numbers but estimate it to be around 425 RWHP. The reason we don't have the exact peak numbers is because at the same time a higher stall torque converter was installed. The high stall speed causes the dyno not to plot numbers until the horsepower curve is on the way down. When I go back this winter we're going to address fueling, plus try a few tricks to see if we can get the peak numbers on the plot.

Good call on the extended warranty. The reason? Because the dealership probably didn't tell you this but Roush will only warranty the drive train to 36,000 miles whether or not you have an extended warranty. All that extra money you paid would only cover non-drivetrain issues after 36,000 miles.

Oh, almost forgot to mention, prior to the last dyno session I gapped the spark plugs down from 42 to 35. That helps a lot when you increase boost. There's a trick to gapping these plugs properly since they aren't standard plugs. When you get to that point let me know and I'll tell you how its done.

Really glad to have you here. Hopefully we can look forward to sharing info in the future with each other. For instance, how to make an oil separator for it, because eventually the boost will cause oil buildup on the intercooler due to it getting sucked in through the breather hose on the driver's side valve cover.

I'm in the Atlanta area. Maybe one day we'll get to meet at an event and trade kill stories! One word of advice, when you see one of those ricers in a Subaru WRX STi.... don't take him on because he's gonna see you his rear view mirrors past 30 mph until you do some mods to the truck.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Adamg247
New User
Well I think Ken has pretty much covered Troyer's capabilities and technical know-how. What I can tell you is Mike Troyer is fantastic to work with. He treats you well and you quickly get the feeling that he is as invested in making your ride better as you are. He walked me through every step and helped me plan out what mods I could afford now and what to do later.

I have the 07 HD Saleen Charged 150. He did not dyno my Truck as he had a truck just like mine on the dyno at the same time. So far I have only had mike provide me with tunes. I was way impressed. The truck runs completely better than the saleen tune. More power, better throttle response and firmer shift points. I even get better gas mileage, go figure.

You won't be disappointed with Mike.

Good luck and keep us posted at to your progress.

Adam