1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks
Old 11-19-2014, 01:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
  • Truck Value
    Important information to help you understand your Ford truck

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

1948 F100 Value? East Coast

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:18 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deyomatic, where are you from? We might be neighbors!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:31 PM
deyomatic
Senior User
I'm in Wethersfield. I was going to send a private message but I don't think it's available. If you know how then send me something so we don't clog up the board with our conversation.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:05 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
Hey bob j49f2, very well said! It surely takes a commitment! There have been several times as I am moving my project out of the way to work on one of the daily drivers or run the table saw etc... that I wish it were done and out of the way. However, you have to keep the end point in mind!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you like the truck and it is close-by---then offer whatever low-ball price you can afford....This is how it is usually done. If the seller balks --then call him with your offer again....Transportation without it running and bad brakes will cost also.....I have done this numerous times and they generally always call....Bill

Old 11-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs up I now have pictures!

Ok guys, I now have pictures. I hope these pictures are good for you guys to see the condition of the truck. I think he is willing to deal some and I now have his number to call and go over and see it. Please review below and let me know what you think. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:22 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Looks like a pretty decent, straight truck. The box will probably be your biggest problem, if it's been sitting outside the box floor will have absorbed water and have rusted the box sides. The rear fenders will also have rust where they bolt to the box. The front fenders look pretty rough but repairable, I've repaired one just as bad. The good thing is the sheet metal looks pretty straight and everything looks repairable. I have found the more banged up sheet metal is the worse the rust repairs. Overall it looks like a nice truck.

I still thing $4500 is quite a bit high. Did the seller do anything to it since he bought it that might make it more valuable? Major engine or suspension work? The guy may have paid $4500 for it three years ago but he might have paid too much for it back then. I once saw an ad on eBay for a drivers door for a '48-52 truck. The seller started bidding at $200 and in his description he said he paid $200 for the door but decided to sell the truck and didn't need the door. He said he hoped someone would buy it for $200 so he wouldn't take a loss on the door. Just because some one jumped on something for a high price doesn't mean some one else should pay the same price to help him. Some times you just have to take a hit. Does this guy need to get rid of the truck for some reason? City wants it out of the yard? Needs money for something else? Wife says to get rid of it? If so I am sure he'll deal, even at a loss.

One tip I've learned over the years of buying old trucks, if his wife or girlfriend wants the truck gone make sure she is near by when trying to strike a deal. I once got a guy down from $1500 to $300 because as I started negotiating a price his girlfriend piped in and told me I could have it for free if I got it out of the yard that day. The guy was kind of whipped. I've also heard women tell guys selling cars at swap meets, "Don't come home with it, sell it no matter the price!"

From your series of posts I have a feeling you really want this truck. If you want it and you can afford it go for it. When it comes down to it it's your money and if it makes you happy do it.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs up

Thanks for all the info Bob. Anybody else see these pictures yet? I should be able to go over the truck this weekend, and heavily inspect it. I will try to take really good pics, and possibly I will bring it home if the guy will work with me on the price.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:27 PM
49PROJECT
New User
Glockem45,
I normally only lurk on this site since I'm not too much of a computer guy. I know where this truck is though. Based on your location (Manassas) and questions I knew the truck before you posted pictures. What got me to post was bobj49f2. I have been reading his posts (and havi [sp?]) and respect the advice both have given to millions of guys like me who only read w/o posting. Now maybe I can help a guy like they have helped me. The truck was originally advertised in early September (two month's ago). The price then was 5,000. The ad said that's what he paid for it and what he wants for it. Now in mid November he only paid $4,500?. His ad in September said the gas tank and main brake line were disabled. I'm not sure what that means but I would think that's more than a new 6V battery and your on the road. There are also three other things that make me wonder about this truck. One is that there is no big push in this neighborhood (I know this neighborhood of over 1,200 houses on 1/4 acre lots) to get rid of "abandoned" cars. Also why was it advertised in Fairfax,Va. when it's in Falls Church, Va. Another is that if the truck has to go why isn't there a for sale sign in the windshield? I'll check in later to see if I can help. Again, thanks to bob, havi and the MANY others who have done more than they know, Jamie from Virginia.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:27 AM
Glockem45
Elder User
Angry

Sounds like you actually went and looked at the truck? I didn't know the entire brake system and the fuel tank were disconnected, and who knows what else. I would argue though that Falls Church is essentially Fairfax County, especially depending on where the house is. I knew this truck has been up for sale for a while now (several months), so I guess he might not actually need it gone ASAP, unless of course he has not had anybody come look at it.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:58 PM
deyomatic
Senior User
Now that I see the photos I agree with everyone else. That price sounds high to me even for my area. The one I looked at was in much better shape for the same money.

Good luck.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:01 PM
49PROJECT
New User
No, I have not checked out the truck. I have my own F-1 I am working on. You know as well as I do we live in an Accord / BMW area. That's why I know this truck. Not too many pre 1994 vehicles pop up around us. I printed out one of the owners previous sales ads when it was active. That's why I mentioned the other problems with the truck. To repeat his description from September "currently has the gas tank and brake main brake line disabled".

Yes, Falls Church is in Fairfax Co. but he listed the vehicle in the City of Fairfax. That would be the Rt. 29/Rt. 50 area vs. the Rt. 66/Rt.7 area where it's at. I know this may only be around 12 miles apart but in the Washington D.C. area that can be a half hour plus drive. Plus it's one thing to me that says the seller is misleading. Not truthful about a location but truthful about the condition?

The reason I have not looked at the truck is because there is no for sale sign on it. Don't go peeping into windows you know. I need to look at an original one for rear bumper bracket placement, dash **** mounting, and many other things that may appear simple. I bought a half stripped cab and chassis and have no idea about many original pieces.

From what I can tell from the street It's not a bad truck and very worth looking at. I agree with others it's a 3K truck. It may be worth more but I have not looked underneath or in the bed. At this point I will NOT stop to look at it. To me that would be showing interrest as a buyer and the current owner would try and stick closer to his price which would cost you more.

Good luck, Jamie

Old 11-13-2008, 07:12 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

I also agree with the price to be a little high, but its only worth what you are willing to pay. No one here can tell you what to buy and how much to pay for it. Good luck!

Old 11-14-2008, 05:21 AM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs up

Hey Jaime. Can you make your account so that I can send you a PM or email please. I was hoping to contact you about the truck offline. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
'49 F3
Freshman User
I know F1 's are more valuable than my F3, but I paid $800 for mine ,looked in similar condition and drove it home. That was $5,000 ago, and I don't have it painted and re-assembled, yet. Another $5k-$6k (doing all the work myself) and it'll be on the road, and worth less than I have in it. But I'll have had a blast, as with the Porsches we own! Our daughter lives in Reston, so we know you live in a premium area. Do what your heart tells you, and what your finances will allow. That F1 will cost you less than my Roth IRA has cost me the past 30 days! OOPS! Sorry.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:39 PM
four8fordf1
Freshman User
Thumbs up Would Not Take A Dime Less the $7,500 49 F1

If the truck you are looking at is rust free, it parts out at more then he is asking for it. The F1 rear fenders have not be repoped in steel. They sell on Ebay, when they come on at about $500.00 each. A good cab will bring $1,500 and the box will bring $1,200. Your already at $3,700 and just getting started. However, all this is dependent on the truck being really solid. With the economy being what it is, the prices are most likely dropping, but I paid $4,500 for my truck five years ago (a rust free South Dakota, never seen salt, truck, see my Galary) and though it was good buy at the time. I was offered $7,500 this spring and turned it down.

Truckin in Northern Illinois.

Just another opinion, and you know what there worth.

Good Luck
Regards,
Jerry Johnson

Quick Reply: 1948 F100 Value? East Coast