Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Got to Drive in a Tundra

Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Got to Drive in a Tundra

And I have to say it was impressive... the power train particularly so, and in this regard quite superior to the 04-08 F150
I haven't driven an 09 as yet, but in the powertrain department at least, I don't think they will quite have the Toyota's measure.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:30 AM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
And I have to say it was impressive... the power train particularly so, and in this regard quite superior to the 04-08 F150
I haven't driven an 09 as yet, but in the powertrain department at least, I don't think they will quite have the Toyota's measure.
Have to agree, the Tundra powertrain is much more impressive than my '06 F150. But other then that, I wasn't impressed with the rest of the truck. The build quality and interior quality just didn't seem up to par with my F150.

Too each their own, but this is just what I experienced.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
They are quick, no doubt about it. Awesome engine, lousy truck.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
I bought an 07 Tundra V8 Auto.

Sold it after just 7 months and bought another Ford.

It was a horrible truck in every aspect, of a truck.

Yes, it has power when passing or such, but it handles poorly with a large load in the bed, or towing.
It was very unrekliable.
And after just 4 months was full of squeeks and rattles.

My 07 F150 is now 18 months old, and been flawless other than the CD player in the dash has gone crazy and cycles thru all 6 discs, and whirs and whizes for about 2 minutes after starting the truck every damn time.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:00 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Originally Posted by Saleenguy
And after just 4 months was full of squeeks and rattles.
This seems to be a common theme. Can't remember tha name, but someone on FTE has a Tundra that says the same thing. Even some of the less loyal Toyota fans on some other forums will admit this.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by V8EXPLR
This seems to be a common theme. Can't remember tha name, but someone on FTE has a Tundra that says the same thing. Even some of the less loyal Toyota fans on some other forums will admit this.

It had lots of issues, a fun one was that every time it would rain, it would flash the check engine light, and misfire like crazy.

The ABS light came on randomly, but the dealer could never tell me why.

It would hunt for the right gear all the time, and then eventaully settle on a gear for a while, but when I would then punch it to say pass on the HWY, it would not want to shift down.
Yes, eventually it would shift down, spool up the motor to pass, but the delay was way longer than it should be.

The truck bed dented easily, and if I tossed 2,500 pounds in the box, it was sunk right down, and handled like a wheel barrel full of bowling *****.
My F150 can haul 2,500 pounds fine...Yes, its squated down, but it still drives fine.
And my ford has not one rattles, or squeek in it.

The seats are also FAR more comfy in the ford, than the toyota seats are.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 AM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Saleenguy:

Have any pics you can post of your Tundra & F150? Always appreciate seeing what people move frrom and to. If not, no worries.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:04 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I admit to not having driven the new Tundra, but we have owned an '05 since new. No squeaks an rattles, even though it has been driven offroad. No other problems except a tailgate latch adjustment (my Ford trucks had latch problems also) and the lower ball joint recall (they were not worn out on ours). Towing is stable and it handles fine with the slide-in camper installed.

Compared with the '05 F-150 (5.4, FX4 pkg) that was test driven, the '05 Tundra superior in every way except interior.

As for putting 2500lb in the bed, only an F-150 "Payload Package" 7700lb GVWR model (really a light duty F-250) can handle that and Toyota does not offer a comparable model, so that is not a fair comparison. My '94 F-150 that the Tundra replaced was just over 6000 GVWR and the Tundra is about the same. The "Twin Traction Beam" really squatted down with the camper installed.

Toyota quality may have slipped since then, as the new Camry also seems "cheaper" than older ones. Tundra production moved from Princeton, Indiana to a new San Antonio plant, but that should not, but may have, made a difference.

Jim

Old 11-12-2008, 05:04 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Compared with the '05 F-150 (5.4, FX4 pkg) that was test driven, the '05 Tundra superior in every way except interior.
The '06 Tundra I tested prior to purchasing my '06 F150, felt solid and well built, but felt the F150 was superior in many more was than simply the interior. Biggest issue was the cramped interior. Now the '07+ Tundras do have a lot more room and capabilities than the 1st Gen, but the truck doesn't feel nearly as solid nor built as well.

Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Toyota quality may have slipped since then, as the new Camry also seems "cheaper" than older ones. Tundra production moved from Princeton, Indiana to a new San Antonio plant, but that should not, but may have, made a difference.

Jim
Actually, only the 5.7L model Tundras were initially built in SA,TX. They continued to build the 4.7L & 4.0L models in Princeton up until the recent credit/economy ordeal. All production has been moved to SA,TX now and they are re-fitting the Princeton facility for smaller vehicles. Even though I think this could have been part of the problem, I don't think the facility change is the only issue. The entire truck doesn't feel nearly as solid, reliable or as quality built as the 1st Gen was.

Just my opinion.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by V8EXPLR
Saleenguy:

Have any pics you can post of your Tundra & F150? Always appreciate seeing what people move frrom and to. If not, no worries.
I can likely find pics of my F150 to post, if not I can take some.
I have none of my Tundra that I can think of.

My current truck is an 07 F150 4 door crewcab, in two tone grey, XLT with 5.4L and automatic, oh ya 4x4 to.

I did have a smaller toyota truck years ago, it was an amazing little truck, and gave me 4 years of nearly trouble free driving before I sold it.

Apparently my 1996 toyota was the good model....My 2007 was a piece of junk.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
I have never really been one to take pics of my trucks and cars.
But have by accident more than anything gotten my 07 F150 in a couple pics.
The first one my wife snapped quickly because I was pretending to strangle my kids at the lake this summer.
We were at a resort in the interior of BC, and the grey F150 in the background is mine.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Okay, need a little help posting pics it appears. Thanks

Old 11-12-2008, 10:58 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Try photobucket.com to host your pics. Makes it a cinch.

I have an '07 Tundra and my whole interior is screwy. Not much lines up and it squeaks every second - sounds like a loose tooth you rock back and forth like 3 days before you pull it.

I love Fords and our two '98 and two '99 Expeditions (one of each MY used) gave us essentially trouble free miles. That first '98 we bought new was absolutely flawless at 150K miles. I still wish I had that thing. Biggest mistake I ever made was getting rid of it.

-rockstate

Old 11-13-2008, 12:23 AM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've driven in one.

Tightest, quickest, nicest 1/2 ton out there by far.

Just as many problems on the net with Fords and GM's.

Luck of the draw I guess.

Tim

Old 11-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Big Bad
Elder User
I driven in several now, and quickest is the only part you got right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got to Drive in a Tundra