Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new transfer tank. how do I clean it out?

Old 11-09-2008, 02:36 AM
twags6
PAA Member #7 and FTE
twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.
new transfer tank. how do I clean it out?

I picked up a used 100 gallon delta transfer tank and 12 volt GPI pump earlier this week. The PO used it for diesel, but I have no idea how long it sat empty. Its got some gunk on the bottom and possibly some moisture. Any good ways to clean this thing out?

I'm also thinking of having it line-x'd to keep the random junk I throw in the bed from wearing at the paint (and maybe the guys there could tell me if thats whats alread on my bed).

More shots in the album

Old 11-09-2008, 03:12 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
How much room do you have in your access hole? I'd start by seein how hard that crud would be to remove with a lets say yardstick or something that can reach in there and scrape it off. YOu could always put some biodiesel or something stronger like acetone in the tank to eat up the varnish and then you gotta rag it out real good. Either way you'd definitely couldn't go wrong with an in line filter.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:35 AM
greedy737
Elder User
greedy737 has a good reputation on FTE.greedy737 has a good reputation on FTE.greedy737 has a good reputation on FTE.
I was going to say, some Bio and an inline filter also!! Just change it often the first couble of times..

Old 11-09-2008, 10:18 AM
nlemerise
Postmaster
nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.
You could put a few gallons (so maybe an inch of fuel is in the tank) of biodiesel and a few pounds of ball bearings. Run the truck around for a week or so, then suck out the fuel (park on a side hill so the fuel and the bearings are below the bung) and use a magnet to get the ball bearings out. Your tank will be like new inside. You can use the vacuum pump of the truck to make an aspirator which will draw the dirty fuel and debris out of the tank. Then I'd mount a filter to the side of the tank and replumb the filler hose to it.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:28 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
I love the ball bearing idea!! I have two 6' long 75 gal tanks for my boat I need to clean, and ball bearings would would great instead of chain.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
That would clean out the inside of the tank as good as shot peening it.
Great idea Neal!!!

Old 11-09-2008, 10:52 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
except you might drive around sounding like a coffee grinder for a few days LOL

Old 11-09-2008, 11:09 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
You can also remove the pump & vent lid, flip it upside down, then stick the nozzle of a pressure washer in there to clean things up. Let it dry, then use some bio & an additive (not too much bio in the cold weather) and install an inline fuel filter on the pump. The metal tank will form condensation, so make sure the filter also has a water separator.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:11 AM
twags6
PAA Member #7 and FTE
twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by mongo75 View Post
How much room do you have in your access hole? I'd start by seein how hard that crud would be to remove with a lets say yardstick or something that can reach in there and scrape it off. YOu could always put some biodiesel or something stronger like acetone in the tank to eat up the varnish and then you gotta rag it out real good. Either way you'd definitely couldn't go wrong with an in line filter.
All I have are 2 2 inch threaded holes for the pump and vent cap. Most of the sludge looks like its pretty goey and would come off easily. I'm definately planning on picking up an inline filter. Tractor Supply sells all the parts for the pump I have, so I'm gonnna swing by and see what they have filter wise.

Originally Posted by nlemerise View Post
You could put a few gallons (so maybe an inch of fuel is in the tank) of biodiesel and a few pounds of ball bearings. Run the truck around for a week or so, then suck out the fuel (park on a side hill so the fuel and the bearings are below the bung) and use a magnet to get the ball bearings out. Your tank will be like new inside. You can use the vacuum pump of the truck to make an aspirator which will draw the dirty fuel and debris out of the tank. Then I'd mount a filter to the side of the tank and replumb the filler hose to it.

Awesome idea! I gotta find someone around here who sells biodiesel though.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:37 AM
nlemerise
Postmaster
nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by twags6 View Post
Awesome idea! I gotta find someone around here who sells biodiesel though.
Heck, a few gallons of gasoline will do the same thing...you just want a good solvent in there and gas will do the job.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:52 AM
nlemerise
Postmaster
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
...install an inline fuel filter on the pump. The metal tank will form condensation, so make sure the filter also has a water separator.
Fleetguard (and others) makes a spin-on with a water separator (used by Cummins) built into it...I have one on my truck and it works great. Fleetguard FS1212...go here for a pdf on the filter.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:36 PM
nlemerise
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mongo75 View Post
except you might drive around sounding like a coffee grinder for a few days LOL
How could you hear it above the 7.3 ?