Cat,Cummins,Detroit? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Cat,Cummins,Detroit?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:17 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Econoline 150 View Post
Pretty sure they're using Volvo engines with revisions, since volvo owns them.

all 25 mack we have that have been made in the past 10 years have Renault engines in them.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Econoline 150
Elder User
Econoline 150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post

all 25 mack we have that have been made in the past 10 years have Renault engines in them.
Are they the smaller Macks, like the mediums or cabovers ? I might be wrong.

In reference to bad diesels, those CAT 3208s never seemed to be very good engines, my employer blew alot of them up and kept a bunch of new crate ones on standby to keep the trucks up and running.

As far as the Detroit 71 goes, they were the best in their day, inexpensive to rebuild, too.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:29 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
full size trucks.
tri-axle dumps, and tandem and tri-axle tractors.
RD-686's, and Granites.
E-7 engine classification, in 350, 400, 427, and 460 hp.
they have Renault cast rite in the passenger side of the block

Old 11-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Econoline 150
Elder User
Econoline 150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
full size trucks.
tri-axle dumps, and tandem and tri-axle tractors.
RD-686's, and Granites.
E-7 engine classification, in 350, 400, 427, and 460 hp.
they have Renault cast rite in the passenger side of the block
Well, I'll be damned. I never dealt much with Macks, they were more commonly found in quarries and construction sites.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:23 AM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier
bigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by The_SnowMan710 View Post
as far as i kno, nothing... it's been awhile since i took the class, but i did get from it that kittypillar could do more to make it work, but they would rather not.
From what I've heard, Cat IS getting out of the truck engine business. Rather than throw money at the 2010 emissions, they'd rather stop altogether. Cat makes money as an equipment builder. Engine builder, while lucrative in the past, was just a drop in the bucket.

Originally Posted by Econoline 150 View Post
Pretty sure they're using Volvo engines with revisions, since volvo owns them.

Have you guys seen any Macks built in the last 12 months with an ISX in them? I have. I've even done a couple or three oil change on it.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:21 AM
The_SnowMan710
Posting Guru
The_SnowMan710 has a good reputation on FTE.The_SnowMan710 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by bigrigfixer View Post
From what I've heard, Cat IS getting out of the truck engine business. Rather than throw money at the 2010 emissions, they'd rather stop altogether. Cat makes money as an equipment builder. Engine builder, while lucrative in the past, was just a drop in the bucket.
i think the number was like only 10% of their total sales. that's wat they told us at work anyway, probably less.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:34 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by bigrigfixer View Post

Have you guys seen any Macks built in the last 12 months with an ISX in them? I have. I've even done a couple or three oil change on it.

that is an buyer order item Joe.
over the years, i have seen macks with cat, cummins, detroit, mercedes, duetz, and mack engines in them.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:52 PM
rangersvt04
Posting Guru
rangersvt04 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
No not Mack, MaK. Pronounced M a K kinda like initials, look here
Caterpillar Marine > MaK Propulsion Engines

btw Volvo aint got nutin on these baby's