Tranny Slipping, and I'm feeling kind of sick. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Slipping, and I'm feeling kind of sick.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Senior User

Sparkplugless is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Tranny Slipping, and I'm feeling kind of sick.

I have a late 99 (I think :-) (I didn't think an 02/99 would be late) F350 dually cc that I thought would pull my house if I liked. I've done a little towing (about 7000# now and then) and after only a few months of owning this truck the tranny goes. I had it flushed and installed the 6.0 tranny cooler before I towed w/ it, I did that because the aftermarket tranny temp gauge showed it was getting hot (180 degrees +) on extended highway use, but it acted and smelled fine. I'm leaving for a short temporary duty (5 months) to AZ w/ A.F. in a couple of days. I was planning to drive my truck. What timing! I guess I'll put a new one in when I get back. I've looked through a few threads, who or what are JW and BTS? And the question that really makes me not feel so good, how much? Thanks for any and all advice to a new guy.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:28 AM

Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Quote:
I've looked through a few threads, who or what are JW and BTS? And the question that really makes me not feel so good, how much?
John Woods and BTS are probably two of the most recommended trans builders for these trucks. The reason is for their rock solid reputation for building very strong transmissions, their great customer service, and their outstanding warranty. There have been plenty of horror stories on this and other forums where people ignored the advice of others, and went into the dealer or local trans shop for a new transmission. For some of those people, they ended up with more problems than they bargained for, and in the end spent more money than they would have if they went with BTS or JW first.

As for pricing, BTS runs about $3900 plus shipping. They only build one stage of transmission, but will tune the valve body pressures for your particular application and mods. John Woods has 4 different build levels for the 4r100, with prices starting at $3400 plus shipping.

My dealings have been with BTS. I had it installed by Rocky Horn of Rockin-S Performance, who is a local BTS dealer here in Colorado. I've also talked to Patti and Brian of BTS on the phone when I've had questions, and both are extremely nice folks. I have been very pleased with my transmission, as well as the customer service I recieved from everyone. The BTS warranty that Brian gives is a 2 year unconditional "I dare you to break it" warranty. After 2 years, he will fix any problem with labor on his dime. All you pay is shipping and parts.

As for John Woods, I have never dealt with him. But I have heard just as many good things about his transmissions and servce as I have with BTS. So there are quite a few satisified customers out there. If that many people are singing his praises, you can't go wrong.

Here are the web sites for them:

BTS - Brians Truck Shop

JW - John Wood Automotive - Home
Old 11-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Postmaster

cleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputation
I have to ask why you think your transmission is "slipping". Just for morbid curiosity's sake.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Senior User

Hi Cody, I think the tranny is slipping because when I push the go pedal it doesn't go :-) The engine RPMs go up (but not as though straining), 1st gear is the worst (but not as bad when I put the gear selector into 1st where I think there is another band), 3rd and 4th seem fine right now. Last but not least I had the tranny flushed a month or two ago and now the fluid smells burned (like a friend of mine says "it smells of death")
Do you have any personal experience with the aftermarket trannys? I guess I'm experiencing sticker shock. Advance Auto has one for $1700 and a heavy duty one for $2400 (I think). If a BTS is really that much better I guess ... Oh it hurts thinking of $3700 plus shipping.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Post Fiend

just another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputation
Morning Sparkless, man am I sorry to hear this. Do you want to do a little troubleshooting, or are you just looking to get it going? I ask, because I have a list of info I can share if you want to look further.

As far as you looking into whos tranny you want, good job. But, if you are stuck, and just need to get going, I paid 1850.00 complete from a local shop, this got me the three disk torque, it got larger clutch packs, a valve body, ect. ect. So. good luck!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Post Fiend

just another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputation
This comes from one our memember here, Mark. He is a retired Ford Engineer.

The port is a 1/8" NPT, standard pipe thread.

The port is on the driver's side of the trans, towards the front, just above the pan. It's near where the shifter cable attaches to the trans.

Here are the pressures to look for:

IDLE----------------------STALL (foot on brake throttle to the floor)
P 55-65------------------ N/A
R 75-99------------------240-265
N 55-65------------------ N/A
OD/D 55-65-------------156-174
2 55-65------------------156-174
1 75-99------------------157-186

Old 11-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Senior User

Thanks for the reply Pat. I can do some troubleshooting, I'm just kind of short on time, and knowledge. I don't know how to check those pressures.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Post Fiend

I had thought there was a little instruction there. You would need a 1/8 2" nipple, possibly a coupling, a presure gage. You will find a plug just above the shifter linkage
Old 11-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Postmaster

That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
John Woods and BTS are probably two of the most recommended trans builders for these trucks. The reason is for their rock solid reputation for building very strong transmissions, their great customer service, and their outstanding warranty. There have been plenty of horror stories on this and other forums where people ignored the advice of others, and went into the dealer or local trans shop for a new transmission. For some of those people, they ended up with more problems than they bargained for, and in the end spent more money than they would have if they went with BTS or JW first.

As for pricing, BTS runs about $3900 plus shipping. They only build one stage of transmission, but will tune the valve body pressures for your particular application and mods. John Woods has 4 different build levels for the 4r100, with prices starting at $3400 plus shipping.

My dealings have been with BTS. I had it installed by Rocky Horn of Rockin-S Performance, who is a local BTS dealer here in Colorado. I've also talked to Patti and Brian of BTS on the phone when I've had questions, and both are extremely nice folks. I have been very pleased with my transmission, as well as the customer service I recieved from everyone. The BTS warranty that Brian gives is a 2 year unconditional "I dare you to break it" warranty. After 2 years, he will fix any problem with labor on his dime. All you pay is shipping and parts.

As for John Woods, I have never dealt with him. But I have heard just as many good things about his transmissions and servce as I have with BTS. So there are quite a few satisified customers out there. If that many people are singing his praises, you can't go wrong.

Here are the web sites for them:

BTS - Brians Truck Shop

JW - John Wood Automotive - Home
After the first of the year they uped the price to $4100 at least thats what it was when I called them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplugless View Post
Hi Cody, I think the tranny is slipping because when I push the go pedal it doesn't go :-) The engine RPMs go up (but not as though straining), 1st gear is the worst (but not as bad when I put the gear selector into 1st where I think there is another band), 3rd and 4th seem fine right now. Last but not least I had the tranny flushed a month or two ago and now the fluid smells burned (like a friend of mine says "it smells of death")
Do you have any personal experience with the aftermarket trannys? I guess I'm experiencing sticker shock. Advance Auto has one for $1700 and a heavy duty one for $2400 (I think). If a BTS is really that much better I guess ... Oh it hurts thinking of $3700 plus shipping.
Its the last tranny you will ever buy...It will end up paying for itself in the end.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Checking the pressures is usually a good idea, but this one is toast. If it slips that bad and the fluid is burned there is no point in further diagnostics. It has to come out and be rebuilt or replaced. It's done.

Sorry.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Checking the pressures is usually a good idea, but this one is toast. If it slips that bad and the fluid is burned there is no point in further diagnostics. It has to come out and be rebuilt or replaced. It's done.

Sorry.

Thanks Mark for popping in!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Post Fiend

ron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud of
i wonder if Pete (pete's_7.3) sold his BTS yet???

the early 99's where built before 12/7/98..just so you know...mine was built 3/98 but they never sold a PSD in 98....