Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:37 AM
Neil64
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor MPG and Snow Plow Install Questions

Hello All,
<o></o>
I have an 00 F250, 7.3 PSD, SC, LB, 4X4, 166K, DP Tuner, 4” Magna Flow, gauges, 6637, 265/75/16s.
<o></o>
Shortly after buying the truck, I had all fluids and filters changed and the driver’s side exhaust manifold replaced due to a exhaust/boost leak. I also cleaned the EBP tube the best I could as I could not get it off of the truck. I was able to thread weed trimmer line all the way through it.
<o></o>
The mechanic who worked on it thought it ran a little weak and thought I might have a minor injector issue but he told me to add the DP Tuner to it and be happy.
<o></o>
Well, my only complaint is the fuel mileage. I get around 14 running empty not really pushing the truck hard. It doesn’t matter if it is city or highway, I get around 14mpg with or with DK white or 2 cycle oil. Not much smoke that I have noticed. At WOT I build around 25lbs of boost.
<o></o>
What else can reduce the fuel mileage that I should have checked? Short of the dealer, is their someone in the Washington, DC Metro area I can take it to who can scan the computer for codes, check the injectors, etc? How much should I expect to pay for these tests?
<o></o>
Also, my CPS was changed by a Ford Dealer back in 05. I don’t know what color it is but have noticed that the truck runs a little rough while using the high idle program on my DP Tuner. Can a crappy CPS limit mpg? I do have a brand new Ford gray spare that I could swap out…
<o></o>
Any recommendations on anyone to install a Meyer Snow Plow on it for me?
<o></o>
By the way, I am a little confused about 2 cycle oil as a additive. Is it good to use or not?

Thanks…
<o></o>
Neil

Old 11-06-2008, 03:00 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
with winter blend fuel already out i dont do much better 14 to 15 MPG so your right in the ball park..

Old 11-06-2008, 06:45 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
winterblend is out??

Old 11-06-2008, 06:57 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by just another truck
winterblend is out??
It is here I have seen my MPG drop.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Neil64
Senior User
Summer...Winter

I get 14 mpg during summer too. Again, it doesn't matter whether it is city or highway either.

Thanks..

Neil

Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
winterblend will lower your mpg's a bit.......another thing nobody mentioned, do you have any boost leaks? Check your up-pipe, if there is soot around the top part.....you've got a leak, that will affect boost, and mpg's both.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:38 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your up pipes for leaks. Make sure that all the IC clamps are tight and that there are no more boost leaks. Fuel mileage depends on how you drive it too. (I know that one is way obvious)
There are a few members in MD that have AE scanners maybe you can hook up with one of them.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:11 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by megawatt00
Check your up pipes for leaks. Make sure that all the IC clamps are tight and that there are no more boost leaks. Fuel mileage depends on how you drive it too. (I know that one is way obvious)
There are a few members in MD that have AE scanners maybe you can hook up with one of them.
Definitely check the IC pipe boots. Mine are getting bad. Just started to notice some dusting around the spider on top of the engine. When I saw that I climbed up on my tow hooks to take a look at the IC hoses and I almost couldn't see the hoses there was so much buildup on them. I ordered replacements from Diesel Site to put on (about $250 for both kits). When I get in there to change the boots I'm going to check my up-pipes. I hope they're fine as I would like to stave off that investment for a bit until I can lump it in with replacing my turbo pedestal o-rings (they are weeping ever so slightly) and put on a WW.

If you are seeing dusting and want to check the tension on the boot clamps, I think that the torque is supposed to be at 71 in-lbs.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:13 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
He said he gets 25 lbs of boost so one would think his up-pipes and IC boots are good. Do to the limited info I can't offer an educated guess as to why his mileage sucks but he never said what program he is running in his DP, maybe he is running something like a 120hp program.

I just downloaded the mileage program into my Flaspak and no difference in power but the mileage is up at least 2mpg, general running around (not freeway) it is about 16.5 actual, not a lie-o-meter.

Good luck on figureing it out, try to find out what program is in the DP.

Dave

Old 11-06-2008, 11:21 PM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
Well i was going to say the bigger tire, but on my tire calculator, a 265/75 is smaller than a stock 235/85... anyway, the tire only made a .25% change so you'd go from 14mpg uncorrected to 14.035 corrected so my theory is ruled out and I am useless lol

Old 11-08-2008, 05:15 AM
Neil64
Senior User
Mpg

I am running the truck using the 80E tune on the DP tuner. I do need to consult Jody why the trans seems ti hit 2nd gear then imediately shift to 3rd on downshifts. Again, I drive it pretty gentley. Maybe I should try the 60tow? Then again, I got the same MPG running stock before the DP Tuner.

Going to run BFG A/T 285/75/16 Load Range D tires for the winter. Hopefully that won't reduce my MPG but will help it on the highway going over 70mph....

I'll look again for boost leaks. Does anyone have a picture of key areas to look at?

Thanks...

Neil

Old 11-08-2008, 05:46 AM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Neil64
Hello All,
<O></O>
I have an 00 F250, 7.3 PSD, SC, LB, 4X4, 166K, DP Tuner, 4” Magna Flow, gauges, 6637, 265/75/16s.
<O></O>
Shortly after buying the truck, I had all fluids and filters changed and the driver’s side exhaust manifold replaced due to a exhaust/boost leak. I also cleaned the EBP tube the best I could as I could not get it off of the truck. I was able to thread weed trimmer line all the way through it.
<O></O>
The mechanic who worked on it thought it ran a little weak and thought I might have a minor injector issue but he told me to add the DP Tuner to it and be happy.
<O></O>
Well, my only complaint is the fuel mileage. I get around 14 running empty not really pushing the truck hard. It doesn’t matter if it is city or highway, I get around 14mpg with or with DK white or 2 cycle oil. Not much smoke that I have noticed. At WOT I build around 25lbs of boost.
<O></O>
What else can reduce the fuel mileage that I should have checked? Short of the dealer, is their someone in the Washington, DC Metro area I can take it to who can scan the computer for codes, check the injectors, etc? How much should I expect to pay for these tests?
<O></O>
Also, my CPS was changed by a Ford Dealer back in 05. I don’t know what color it is but have noticed that the truck runs a little rough while using the high idle program on my DP Tuner. Can a crappy CPS limit mpg? I do have a brand new Ford gray spare that I could swap out…
<O></O>
Any recommendations on anyone to install a Meyer Snow Plow on it for me?
<O></O>
By the way, I am a little confused about 2 cycle oil as a additive. Is it good to use or not?

Thanks…
<O></O>
Neil
Where in MD are you? You might have a hard time getting someone to install a plw this time of year since everyone else is doing the same thing. My dad put his on himself wasnt too hard if you have the tools. I would still look at removeing the EBP tube first. ...

Originally Posted by Neil64
I am running the truck using the 80E tune on the DP tuner. I do need to consult Jody why the trans seems ti hit 2nd gear then imediately shift to 3rd on downshifts. Again, I drive it pretty gentley. Maybe I should try the 60tow? Then again, I got the same MPG running stock before the DP Tuner.

Going to run BFG A/T 285/75/16 Load Range D tires for the winter. Hopefully that won't reduce my MPG but will help it on the highway going over 70mph....

I'll look again for boost leaks. Does anyone have a picture of key areas to look at?

Thanks...

Neil
Are you going by the overheard computer? if your hitting 25 lbs of boost I dont thik you would have a boost leak.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Neil64
Senior User
Things

I live in Bowie, MD. From my understanding, installing a mounting carton on a 2000 F250 requires drilling the frame. I probably don't have the drill required but might be able to borrow one. I certainly don't have the bits or another pair of hands to help me so I'd rather pay to have it done right. I just received the hardware (expensive) to mount everything.

l suppose taking the tube off help me clean the tube better but I was able to get the weed trimmer line from one end to the other and brakekleen too. If I was to have the computer scanned, would a clogged BPV tube or bad sensor show up?

Thanks..

Neil

Old 11-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Neil64
Senior User
Answer

I do not have an overhead computer. Filling the tank up to the point of seeing the fuel sitting in the filler neck.

Thanks..

Neil

Old 11-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Tim J
Mountain Pass
I have an early 99 F350 and the Meyers Mounting carton was very ez to install. Yes....you may have to go spend $20-30 on a good drill bit (5/8 I think) but the bumper bolts are right up front and ez to access. If buying new....the control harness will be plug & play.

Quick Reply: Poor MPG and Snow Plow Install Questions