1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Opinions and Advice on Bed for '49 F-1

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 PM
TNVOL
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions and Advice on Bed for '49 F-1

I have '49 F-1 that I intend to restore eventually, but don't have the time or money right now to do it. The only major body pieces I need are a bed and front fenders. I had planned to just buy fiberglass front fenders.

I came across a complete bed on the internet, haven't seen it in person, but from the pictures it looks to be in good condition. The seller is asking $400. Is this a good price? I know you can buy the bed kits new for 50 up models, I think they're like $1,000 but the side stakes aren't curved like the 48 to 49, and you still have to put them together.

I have a bed off a 1940 to 47 model, it seems to be in pretty good shape but will likely need some work. I know the bolt holes will not match up for the 49 fenders, but otherwise would it work? I have it sitting on the truck right now in storage and it seems to look right.

Should I buy the bed or go with what I already have? Just want to get some advice.Thanks.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:44 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
You indicate that you plan to "restore" the truck someday. With the exception of Corvettes and a few other unique cars restore and fiberglass do not generally go together. I assume that you mean to fix up the truck someday. If that is the case and originality is not critical the choice of a bed is quite broad. The original 49 beds had a metal over wood floor as do the 42-47. If your earlier bed is in decent shape I would relocate the fender mounting holes. If you go to a new bed most guys go to the 50 and up style with the wood/metal strips. I replaced the original metal floor in my 49 and would not recommend it. If I had to do it again I would have gone the wood/metal strip route.
I would be very reluctant to purchase a bed sight unseen. If it is to far to drive to to look at it, the shipping, should you buy it, will add significantly to the cost.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:49 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Bed

This topic is of interest to me, since I am in the process of building mine. I chose to replace my original, as the bottom 1ft was rusted through. Originally I was going to rip that portion off and "splice " new metal to the bottom. I opted to have sides braked at metal fab shop for less than $ 150.00 from there I welded after market stake pockets, and bought tailgate. If you are going to replace fenders anyway; and don't want "accurate restoration" then I would either salvage the eary model box you have now, by replacing the bad metal. The problem with buying these bigger parts, as stated, is the freight costs. Why not get the truck running, patch up the box, it can easily be replaced after, when you've had more time to make your decision.

my 2 cents

Tom

Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,840 Likes on 1,839 Posts
49willard made some excellent points.
If you are just going to be fixing up your truck and not an actual full blown factory restoration then you have alot of leeway with the bed. Like you, I prefer the look of the pre 1950 beds (they actually changed over in mid year 1950). If your 47 box is in good shape you can buy all the accessories for it; stake pockets, front panel, rear sill, etc.This place has good prices;
https://www.mackhils.com/

The bed floor, as has been m,entioned, is another sticking point and most people opt for the wood and metal strip option instead of going original with the wood covered with sheet metal. In my case I used the metal bed floor from a late model truck in my 49.

Bobby

Old 11-06-2008, 08:13 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think if you were building a rat rod or even a daily driver a good used bed would be fine or even use the older bed you already have. I put fiberglass front and rear fenders on my 48 but bought an aftermarket 51/52 styled bed from ProsPick. If you plan to make a show or even semi-show truck out of it eventually then I'd spend the extra money for a new bed now.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:58 PM
TNVOL
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. I guess the word "restore" was a poor choice. I would just fix it up nice for weekend driving and occassional local shows. No full original restoration.

It sounds to me like keeping what I have now would be the best choice given I don't have the extra dough and it will be a while before I get back to it.

Thanks for the link Bobby I haven't heard of that company before, I'll keep it for future reference.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:55 PM
jmerson
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bed replacing

I don't know how much you want to spend but there is a shop in Galt,CA that specializes in old ford beds. I talked to him about a year or so ago and at that time he wanted $1900. for a complete bed for my '48. He did outstanding work but at the time he only did smooth inner sides and I wanted the raised ones. It took me about a year to make the bed with mostly new parts and rebuilding some of the old ones and I still haven't done the floor, which is going to be wood with polished SS strips. I'm making the floor like an old basement set of doors, opening the long way, hinged at the sides. The point on this runaway answer is I COULD OF HAD A NICE BED FOR NOT THAT MUCH MONEY A YEAR AGO, or maybe it was two years ago.
Jim

Old 11-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi TNVOL!

Welcome to FTE, and the world of Bonus Built Trucks. OK there are a couple of things you need to know - and ask this guy right off the bat.

First of all, the F-1 "Pick-up Box" was quite a bit shorter than the F-2/3 "Express Box." It was also not as wide. Thus, the back fenders on the F-1 were wider. Also, despite the fact that the later boxes look VERY similar, the 48 thru mid 1951 beds had paneled sides and the fenders had notches in them to fit right. Also, the running boards on these later models were different and hooked up differently. The 53 and up beds look very similar, but of course the fenders are difference and they are somewhat wider. But to the untrained eye, many folks have bought trucks that have the later 53+ boxes on 48-52 trucks.

One of the great features of this site is it has the ability to pull up past threads on this kind of thing. $400 for The correct bed, in decent shape is a very good deal. But, remember, "if it's too good to be true......."

I'll post this and then try to find the thread we had about 5 months ago on this. There were quite a few drawings from the "Salesmans Handbook" which is an incredible source for such info) that explain all this stuff.

I'll be back!

Julie

FOUND IT! This is an excellent discussion on these Boxes. It all started because one of our friends here bought an F1 and had some questions about his bed. Well, come to find out it had a latter model box on it - way later. It looked great, but he wanted original. Anyway, I would suggest you read this thread through AT LEAST ONCE, and look at the pictures. THEN, you will know the right questions to ask of the guy selling this bed. And, make him put the info he gives you in writing. Pictures from him of the corners and front headboard to floor joint, fenders where they join the running boards, and in the back, stake pockets, etc. Here's a few questions I'd ask: What year did the box com eoff of and was it the original installation. What is the length of the box...width. Does it have paneled sides? Are the fenders ON the box. What year is it? F-1 or F-2/3? Steel floor or wood? What shape is the roller pan in? What shape is the headboard in? Tailgate? Rust in box corners? Rust in fenders, front and back? WHY IS HE SELLING IT? Just for starters!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...r-51-52-a.html

Here's the link! After you read, come back and ask more questions! (you didn't know we were going to give you HOMEWORK assignments did you! )