1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Master cylinder location

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Master cylinder location

I was just wanting some opinions on what you guys think about the best location for the master cylinder. Under the cab or moving it to the firewall on a 53 F100.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:49 PM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are looking for practicality rather than esthetics, then I would place it on the firewall. It is easier to add fluid and you do not need a 2 lb residual value in the front lines to prevent fluid from backing into the MC.
<o></o>
That said, mine is mounted under the cab.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:52 PM
flatheadjohn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say under the floor since it gives the firewall a cleaner uncluttered look as opposed to an ugly brake master cylinder and booster hanging out their for everybody to see. I don't believe there is anything you can do to dress up an ugly looking setup like that however this is just my personal opinion, it's your truck and you can build it anyway you like. Everything I build always has the setup under the floor. Something else to take into consideration is that if you hang the pedals/master cylinder on the firewall it will put undo stress on the firewall that was never designed to have this setup hanging on it. If you notice vehicles with firewall mounted pedals the area around the unit has additional bracing and material placed to deal with the pressure and stress put on it. I know this setup has been done successfully on all kinds of early cars and trucks but it is just something to consider when making that decision. For me there are three things that I won't compromise on and that's brakes, steering, and suspension as I believe safety is paramount.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
flatheadjohn, I was thinking if I put it on the firewall then I would not have to mess with putting in check valves. They make kits that use a brace that goes between the firewall and the dash and are suppose to give the support that is needed.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:12 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you buy the firewall mounted booster and bracket from CCP for the 53 thru 56 ( it will not fit a 56, bracket is to short by about 3/8 of a inch ) you may be suprised at how far left you have to mount the booster and m/c.

My truck was already finished when I started having brake problems, so I bought their kit thats how I know it will not fit a 56 and my fuse panel was where they wanted the booster.

I made my own bracket and pedal but used their other components, brakes work great now.

Do have a new ccp brake booster mounting bracket and pedal assy I would like to sell.

Chuck

Old 11-05-2008, 03:54 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
I put mine on the firewall. We replaced the firewall and added braces inside to support the brake pedal. This mc is off a 95 T-bird and front and rear brakes from same car. I put an adjustable proportioning valve on the frame. Brakes work excellent

Old 11-06-2008, 08:50 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Put it on the firewall where it will work the best. I used some flatbar and angle iron on the inside to prevent firewall flex. Those under the floor master cylinders are hard to fill, sometimes get in the way of exhaust, and the fluid drains back causing excess pedal movement. There must be a reason Detriot doesn't put them under there anymore...

Old 11-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Vern, the kits you can buy that attach to the firewall to the dash, will they support it enough? Does the pedal come out on he right side or the left side of the steering column? Do you have a picture of your setup? Thank you for the information

Old 11-06-2008, 12:00 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Hey Pappy, Check out "Industrial chassis" on the web, though the picture leaves a bit to the imagination, they are plenty strong and the weak firewall issue goes away as this component triangulates the dash and the firewall. I installed one on my 55, it fit like a glove and even had space left over to mount the steering column...LoL! It's actually designed for the steering drop ....

Old 11-06-2008, 12:13 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Since I tore out the original tranny crossmember on my 49 I didn't have a spot under the cab to put the MC back on. I fabbed my own hanging pedal assy and hung a MC and power booster on the firewall. I have disc prakes on the front of my 49.
When I fabbed my pedal assy I tied it into the firewall, dashboard, and steering column just like in modern cars.
I used the basic pedal, pivot, and spring from a mid 90's Ford focus (don't ask...it was a freebie) I fabbed the mount with flat bar and angle iron. I had to extend the pedal a bit. My pedal comes down on the right side of the steering column.

Good luck
Bobby

Old 11-06-2008, 02:48 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pappys53
Vern, the kits you can buy that attach to the firewall to the dash, will they support it enough? Does the pedal come out on he right side or the left side of the steering column? Do you have a picture of your setup? Thank you for the information
I don't know anything about the kits. I made my own supports like Bobby. Take an original hanging pedal and support out of just about any vehicle and fabricate braces to make it bolt to the firewall at one end and the dash at the other. It will be plenty strong enough. My pedal is on the left side of the column and hangs below it but I use my left foot on the pedal anyway so I wanted it there. If you use a wide pedal it won't matter which side of the column it is on because you would be able to brake with either foot. Sorry, I took a lot of pictures when I was building my truck but none of the steering column support. I used the pedal assembly out of my 87 Chrysler front suspension donor but you can make just about any salvage yard pedal assembly work so unless the kit is cheap I'd spend the money elsewhere...

Old 11-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
My power brake booster and dual reservoir master cylinder are under the cab. I do not like the looks of it sticking out there under the hood...when it was not put there originally.

I also have a vacuum reservoir under there to help with vacuum, since I am running vacuum wipers as well.

The kits fit well and work great.

Oh..as far as adding fluid, if you do everything right, you only need to check it once or twice a year. Just check the level (a hand mirror works great for this) when you have it in the air to grease everything. I have an oil squit can filled with brake fluid (in the box in the back) that I would use to fill it, if it ever needed it.

Mine has been under there for around a year and a half. Mine is almost a daily driver (I rarely drive my other vehicle). I have never had to add fluid to it.

EDIT: Here is a pic of under my hood as well (dirt and all):

Old 11-06-2008, 04:15 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Here's a pic of mine;

Bobby

Old 11-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Still not sure which way to go. Anybody else want to share opinions, pros and cons. Pictures would be helpful also.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Pappys53
Still not sure which way to go. Anybody else want to share opinions, pros and cons. Pictures would be helpful also.
I have had both setups, sometimes determined by space considerations, and the under dash is probably the best (for filling etc.) but it comes down to it, the choice is do you want this butt ugly thing on your fire wall or not?

My 51 f1 is going to be in da’ floor.

Quick Reply: Master cylinder location