1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'53 F-100 with an OHV Y-block V8 and a 4 speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:14 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'53 F-100 with an OHV Y-block V8 and a 4 speed

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">OK Folks,
I'm looking for help, hints and opinions about this truck. Yesterday I brought home a rusty old '53 F-100 that I bought from Bill, (WALFORD'S 56). At some point in time somebdy changed the engine. It has an OHV Y-Block V8 and a four speed transmission. I do not know what transmissions were offered in '53 but it seems to me that this truck originally came with a four speed on the froor because there is no sign of there ever having been a shifter on the column and the floor has not been hacked for the tranny.

I need to know some way of identifying what particular Y-block it is, I know the engine was swapped because they left in the old 4 port flathead radiator which they modified by soldering brass covers over two of the ports. They also left in the shroud which does not align with the fan on the Y-block. It has a small two barrell carb on it. From what I can see, it appears the engine was swapped over from another truck because they have all the correct linkage parts with no improvised stuff.

The truck has a good title and some good parts I can use such as glass, trim, and a few body parts. I'm not quite sure what I am going to do with it yet but it is complete and the frame, drive line, suspension and cab mounts look good. Most likely a lot of it will be sold or traded. I have posted pictures of the truck on the bottom of website for my '53 at the bottom of the home page, CLICK HERE.

Any opinions and ideas about how to ID this engine and the transmission would be appreciated. In a few days I will get some more pictures posted. If anyone is looking for something that might be on this truck let me know. I don't know what I am going to do with it yet but if I know that there are parts someone is interested in, it could help me decide what to do with it. It's in my trailer right now, so my wife isn't to upset about it. As long as it is hidden, she doesn't care. When I get it out and start taking it apart she will probably not be happy. Maybe I can take most of it apart in the trailer.

Later Folks...

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 11-07-2008, 03:11 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Dave--you may have a 272 and from what I saw--looks like the 272. I cannot believe this truck sat for 25 yrs in a field in Ohio and is as good as it is. Must have been mint before that!! Bisbee Arizona also helped.
If you do tear it apart -I may want to ask for the driveshaft.....will see!!
I loaded the 53 lightning on my trailer today--to get it running---buddy 4 miles away will get it running. I may switch to 12 volt also.
Dave--I left message to Bill -the po of the 53 and wait to see what he says about notary. Well,did the wife fall down after seeing it? haha!! Terri almost did!! Bill

Old 11-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to this site to identify the block:

TECHNICAL

You can identify most of the Y-block parts from that site...just look around some.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:22 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
Dave--you may have a 272 and from what I saw--looks like the 272. I cannot believe this truck sat for 25 yrs in a field in Ohio and is as good as it is. Must have been mint before that!! Bisbee Arizona also helped.
If you do tear it apart -I may want to ask for the driveshaft.....will see!!
I loaded the 53 lightning on my trailer today--to get it running---buddy 4 miles away will get it running. I may switch to 12 volt also.
Dave--I left message to Bill -the po of the 53 and wait to see what he says about notary. Well,did the wife fall down after seeing it? haha!! Terri almost did!! Bill
Hi Bill,
I'm not sure exactly what will remain of the truck or what will go into another one. However, if I don't need the drive shat you are welcome to it. Want to trade a hood for the driveshaft???

Jill didn't seem to get upset but she did think that little radio was cute. I haven't looked but I am assuming that truck is a 6 volt system.

I'll send you an e-mail about the title. I have an idea about what to do.

Later Man...

Old 11-08-2008, 09:35 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Brian_B
Go to this site to identify the block:

TECHNICAL

You can identify most of the Y-block parts from that site...just look around some.

Thanks Brian,
Now all I have to do is find the number on the block. I'll probably need a chisel and hammer for that. Now all I need is some info on the tranny. I dfidn't think they offered a four speed on those F-100s.

Later Man...

Old 11-08-2008, 09:59 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Dave--no problem (TITLE) and the trans is most likely a t98. I moved all my trucks yesterday and that took ALL day....LOL...........Bill

Old 11-08-2008, 03:40 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Dave-- the trans is most likely a t98. ...........Bill
I was just curoius because I was not aware that a floor shift 4 speed was offered in a '53 F-100. I wonder how much other stuff it will fit in. I'm thinking of selling it if it is worth anything.

LATER...

Old 11-08-2008, 05:01 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I was going to strip all the sheetmetal and clean and blast the frame and rebuild the yblock and trans. ALL new brakes and then set a 56 cab and new bed and front-end on it. But-----I have too many irons in the fire so I sold it. You can park it in front of your house and plant flowers in the bed and wife might not kill you....lol yard-art is a cool thing......Bill

Old 11-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Y-block did not come in a 53 either, so who knows what the trans came out of. I had a friend with a 57 that that the Y-block and a T-98.

Scroll down on that link I gave you to see where the numbers on the blocks are:

Block identification number generally on side of block above oil filter for blocks cast at Cleveland. Dearborn block I.D. number near distributor and above generator. Most Dearborn blocks used in trucks. No Dearborn blocks after 1957. There were no special truck blocks. Heavy duty trucks with steel cranks used C1AE or C2AE car blocks. Nearly all Dearborn blocks after 1954 were 272's. Most 292 and 312 blocks are from the Cleveland foundry.
Took me a little cleaning and a couple of contortionist moves, but I found mine.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:25 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Brian_B
The Y-block did not come in a 53 either, so who knows what the trans came out of. .
Brian,
I knew the OHV Y block was not a standard in '53 except some of the bigger trucks like fire trucks. that is why I said above I knew that it had been switched. The truck had to have the 4 spedd floor shift tranny in it because it has never had a column shifter and the floor pan is made for the floor shift.

Later Man...

Old 11-09-2008, 09:53 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Look at your vin data tag and it will list what trans was originally in the truck. Should say 4SP if thats what it came with.

Kevin Bigwin

Old 11-09-2008, 10:17 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
Look at your vin data tag and it will list what trans was originally in the truck. Should say 4SP if thats what it came with.

Kevin Bigwin
Good idea Kevin... That must be why you make the Big Bucks. I'll check it later and get back to you.

Later Man...

Old 11-09-2008, 10:28 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Dave, No big bucks here , That was free info! cant get rich on that!

Kevin Bigwin

Old 11-09-2008, 10:42 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
That is why bigwin should open his own----(48-62) effie repair shop----he knows all this stuff and more---and has the shop and the age on his side. And.....with a top-notch mechanic like Andrew---mr4speed.....he would do great!!! I still would not quit my day job till you go global.........No crap---you should think on this!!
Bill

Old 11-09-2008, 10:47 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
That is why bigwin should open his own----(48-62) effie repair shop----he knows all this stuff and more---and has the shop and the age on his side. And.....with a top-notch mechanic like Andrew---mr4speed.....he would do great!!! I still would not quit my day job till you go global.........No crap---you should think on this!!
Bill

Go Global ??? You guys are makin' me feel bad. I can't hardly make it out of my back yard.

Later Guys...

Quick Reply: '53 F-100 with an OHV Y-block V8 and a 4 speed