Sponsored by: Moser

Lets see lowered attitude 2wds dents here

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:43 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
This is all a personal preference thing of course and what makes it so our trucks don't all look exactly the same. My grill inserts and bumper are black on Muttly (74 crew)
Yep, our trucks are like snowflakes!

You can see I painted my inserts and bumper black too. Muttly is awesome too, I'd love to have a 4X4 crew like that!

Ok, now back to the topic Lowered trucks. I found this one while I was looking for the pic of the red one. It says in his description it's body dropped 6 inches.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:45 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
not bad looking. The wheels look a bit small on that one though...

Old 01-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Dr. Dirt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the green and the red ones. not so much the burnt orange one.

back when our trucks were new Ford and Chevy had different grills and paint schemes for vehicles. nowadays when the new body style comes out so does a new grill; they always use the same grill throughout the years. i.e. the dentsides had 3 different grill styles in the 7 years they were built. and it also seems like there are only a couple of different colors for the new truck.....black, silver, red, white, and that's about it.

I have a black grill on my truck now. several weeks ago I found a gray argent grill in a junkyard in rather good shape (1 crack). so now one day when I go back and get the grill shell, too, I'll swap over to a silver insert.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:59 PM
89fiveohman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so whats the easiest way to drop one of these trucks ,suspension, or body drop like the green one says they did?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:30 PM
torch78
Freshman User
man their just aint no easy way to lower these trucks. the green truck has lowered suspension and a bodydrop. you need beams to do the suspension right and to bodydrop or channel as us ol hotrodders call it you have to cut your cab and bed floor out. dang i need a raise

Old 01-23-2009, 06:27 AM
rickh51
Senior User
80F100man! .030 over 302 . . . . . . with a few extras.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:07 AM
80F100man
Elder User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rickh51
80F100man! .030 over 302 . . . . . . with a few extras.

Sure looks good under the dual carbs.......

It Rocks

Old 01-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Witty73
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 74 I installed the Fatman MII setup, and rear 4 bar all with coilover shocks right now. It sits about like the green one pictured above. Unfortunately, I dont have any pics of it right now because the wife deleted them off the camera and its in pieces right now while I work on the body. As near as I can figure, I dropped the front about 6 inches and the back about 8. I put 1 degree of rake on it when I mocked it up. I like the way it sits. The plan is to swap out the coil overs with airbags some day so I can drop it another 4 inches when I pull up to the curve.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:05 AM
bmarkline
Elder User
The green truck is NOT Body dropped. If it were , it would have the rocker panels and front bumper sitting right on the ground. Our dent side frames dont hang down really far right, what, 6" or so under the cab? As stated above, a traditional body drop consists of cutting out the cab and bed floors, sinking the cab and bed down OVER the floors, sectioning out enough sheet metal to sit the rockers down flat, then rewelding it all back together. Some people even go as far as going to the doors, and just cut off the rockers. I'm in the middle of doing a traditional body drop to my '88 ext cab S-10. I AM keeping the rocker panels though. Yes I know, not a Ford... what ever, its my first truck, I love it, and I'll never part with it, no matter what emblem it wears. So anyway, A channel job refers to basically just cutting "channels" in your floors to fit the frame rails up into, vs cutting the whole floor out. Usually this also requires fabbing up a trans and driveshaft tunnel too. This is how alot of old school hot rodders did it back in the day. A "stock floor body drop" is when you build either a full tube chassis, or just tube it from the firewall back, and Z the stock frame for up front, in order to lay it out flat. Most of the time floor modifications are not nesesary then, hence STOCK floor body drop.

Last edited by bmarkline; 01-24-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: forgot sumthn
Old 01-25-2009, 11:08 AM
89fiveohman
Junior User
could it be body dropped 6 inch but not much suspension drop?

Old 01-25-2009, 12:49 PM
bmarkline
Elder User
Originally Posted by 89fiveohman
could it be body dropped 6 inch but not much suspension drop?
In theory yeah, but I don't know why anyone would go through all the trouble. You can bag a suspension for around 1,500 - 2,000 bucks, if you have a few resources and do it yourself, or spend a rediculus amount of time and money bodydropping it. Alot of people dont think of all the stuff you need to tweek, like fenderwells, firewalls and heater boxes, door jambs, sterring column locations, fuel tanks and filler necks, shorter pedals with shorter throws, relocated brake boosters and the list goes on. I can't say based on those photos either way, but it looks to me like all the ones I've seen that are bagged and laying frame, without a body drop. But you're right, anything is possible. I'm wondering if the green one is running a Mustang II front suspention cuz on beams you ussually have alot more camber up front aired out. Then again, if its not bagged, just lowered... Looks good either way though, thats whats important right?

Old 01-25-2009, 11:25 PM
fuelinjected73
Freshman User
Old 01-26-2009, 01:59 AM
bmarkline
Elder User
Originally Posted by fuelinjected73
Thats friggin awsome! I cant beleive that they did a full front and rear frame clip like that, and still left the stock sections under the cab though.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 PM
GPZF100
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bmarkline
In theory yeah, but I don't know why anyone would go through all the trouble. You can bag a suspension for around 1,500 - 2,000 bucks, if you have a few resources and do it yourself, or spend a rediculus amount of time and money bodydropping it. Alot of people dont think of all the stuff you need to tweek, like fenderwells, firewalls and heater boxes, door jambs, sterring column locations, fuel tanks and filler necks, shorter pedals with shorter throws, relocated brake boosters and the list goes on. I can't say based on those photos either way, but it looks to me like all the ones I've seen that are bagged and laying frame, without a body drop. But you're right, anything is possible. I'm wondering if the green one is running a Mustang II front suspention cuz on beams you ussually have alot more camber up front aired out. Then again, if its not bagged, just lowered... Looks good either way though, thats whats important right?

bmarkline
can I ask you what kind of coil overs you are running up front?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:07 AM
bmarkline
Elder User
Originally Posted by GPZF100
bmarkline
can I ask you what kind of coil overs you are running up front?
Me? I bagged a Chevy, alot easyer than a Ford, but when doin an air bag suspension you do not use coil overs, just air bags (I used double conveluted, single ported, 2600lb ones) and shocks. Well you don't really need shocks, but for safety's sake put them on. Air ride technologies has the "Shock wave" which is nice because they have the shock built into the air bag, but they are a little pricey and only get like 5" of travel from what I'm told. Those WILL bolt in place of a coilover- alot of hot rodders use them.

Quick Reply: Lets see lowered attitude 2wds dents here