Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comprehensive "Steering Wander" Thread Compilation (and Excursion leaf spring spreadhseet)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 AM
19-kilo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Rich, with the suspension upgrades you're doing, I doubt you'll ever have to worry about this problem ever again.

After doing the V/B spring upgrade, I've never had to worry about steering wander again.

Stewart
Good to hear! I have been looking for the best way to keep the truck "stock" while still improving the handling flaws it has stock.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 19-kilo
Good to hear! I have been looking for the best way to keep the truck "stock" while still improving the handling flaws it has stock.
Can't do better than using OEM springs that, IMHO, should have come stock on the 4x4 Excursions in the first place.

Stewart

Old 04-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Rhatler
New User
Maybe i am thinkng all wrong on this but i am trying to go oppisite on this and smooth out my 2005 F350 6.0L by thinking of using the coils from a 2005 6.0L Excursion.
Does this make sense and is this possible or will i be running in to trouble.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:16 PM
03-6L-X
Elder User
IIRC coil springs were never an option for the Excursion. Only on the F250 and up.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:02 PM
19-kilo
Junior User
Originally Posted by Rhatler
Maybe i am thinkng all wrong on this but i am trying to go oppisite on this and smooth out my 2005 F350 6.0L by thinking of using the coils from a 2005 6.0L Excursion.
I am pretty sure that only 2x4 models had the coil springs, all 4x4 have leaf springs.
I would never put overly soft springs (like the ones from the excursion) on a heavy truck like the f350. Causes axle warp when the suspension moves and causes more wandering and instability in the vehicle. Now if you have track bars... different story... If you are looking for a softer spring that does not support towing like the F350 does... look at Deaver springs (think they are progressive)

Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Rhatler
New User
Thank all of you for the information on this

Old 04-14-2011, 06:18 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhatler

Call Cary at CT Performance - he'll have answers and options.

Home

Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 AM
the ponz
Senior User
Originally Posted by billman13
Things went well with the v and modded b swap. only problem is after pulling home my new TT I have a leak in the rear pinion seal. Is this a coincidence or related to the spring swap or TT? Either way I could use some advice on pinion seal stuff.
<!-- / message -->
when you installed the modified B code springs, did you use the stock Excursion block or did you use the 3.5" F250 block?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Guys that do the modded B's usually reuse the stock block.

Stewart

Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 AM
p-nut
Senior User
It seems that alot of owners are complaining of steering wander AFTER a ball joint replacement. I have come to a conclusion about this and it seems that there is an inconsistency with the procedure for the torquing of the ball joints. I have had a TON of problems with this and have replaced multiple sets of ball joints to try to correct this issue. After this last time I believe I found the culprit and it seems that with one small extra step and re-order of the ball joint torquing sequence will correct this (or it has in my situation).

Most of these problems are because of the upper ball joint alignment sleeve is being expanded too early when the upper ball joint is torqued not allowing the sleeve to move upward causing the ball joints to bind. If the alignment sleeve is fully seated in the axle, the new ball jont will make it expand before it can align with the upper ball joint while torquing the bottom ball joint. Here is what I did to remedy this.

I pressed in new ball joints. I then tapped the upper ball joint alignment sleeve up until it was roughly 1/4-1/2" off its seat. You have to understand, at this point someone will chime in and say that upsetting this sleeve will change your alignment. It wont. It has once side cut flat and can only set back in one positon. Anyway, your sleeve is 1/4 to 1/2" off its seat and you install the knuckle by holding it up and you then install the lower ball joint nut and torque it to the manufacturers spec. At this time your upper ball joint should NOT be seated in the sleeve. If it does seat, tap the alignment sleeve up a little to unseat it. You now thread on the upper ball joint nut and begin to torque it slowly. The sleeve will draw down on the ball joint and stop when its fully seated. Dont worry if the shoulder of the sleeve doesn't seat on the axle all the way. This means your upper ball joint has seated properly and is not going to cause a bind. Swing the knuckle left and right a couple of times. It should be smooth and shouldn't take more than the force of one finger to turn it. If it does, bust it all loose and try again. My left side took two times to get it right.

My experience.... ALL moog ball joints will give you problems. I replaced stiff moog joints for new moog joints and they were manufactured too stiff again. One set I ran for two years without them ever loosening up. NAPA house brand ball joints are spicer and the uppers are the best you can get, even compared to the stock ones. Lower ball joints are a different story. Best you can buy are the motorcraft stockers.... They ARE the standard. Best build quality I've seen for a lower ball joint and there is a good reason they aren't greaseable, the cup is coated with teflon or something to that effect. They have just enough grease in them to last a lifetime and the seal is designed to not be damaged by outside objects.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
With my newly acquired Mod powers, I decided to edit this thread and rename it. I also merged all of my posts where links were attached, to make it easier for future searches.

Stewart

Old 12-21-2011, 12:22 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Great job Stewart, any chance to make this a permanent 'Read First' sticky?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it back to the top

Old 12-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
With my newly acquired Mod powers, I decided to edit this thread and rename it. I also merged all of my posts where links were attached, to make it easier for future searches.

Stewart

I noticed the other day you were made moderator. Congrats Stewart!

Old 12-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Thanks.

Stewart

Quick Reply: Comprehensive "Steering Wander" Thread Compilation (and Excursion leaf spring spreadhseet)