1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

94 Powerstroke Cold Blooded All Of Sudden

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 02:13 PM
mikeski
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 Powerstroke Cold Blooded All Of Sudden

I have a 94 PSD 170k miles. It starts right up and I can drive about a mile and it looses power and throttle response. It smokes like crazy and the RPM's will not come up. After 5 to 10 mins. it will clear up and run fine. If I plug it in or let it idle for 10 min (warm up) I don't have this problem. This is happenning when it is 4o degrees out. I 've owned this truck for 12 years and never had this kind of problem at this temperature. Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:52 PM
ftowelding
Senior User
Sounds like Glow plugs or possibly injector o-rings. I have been having similar problems with this new to me truck that I recently accuired. Have you checked the glow plugs or any of the wiring connectors at the valve cover gaskets? All of the Powerstroke diesels I have owned have burnt the wiring connectors to the valve covers when a Glowplug has shorted out. Also if it is Glow plugs make sure to use factory Ford or Navistar only, the other brands have too many problems to list. I'm sure one of the many gurus around here can give you much more technical info than I am able to. Good Luck
Justin

Old 11-01-2008, 03:19 PM
mikeski
New User
Thanks for the response. I'm not thinking glow plugs because it starts right up. I rebuilt he plug ends off the main wiring harness and changed the valve cover gaskets and wiring harness under the covers in Dec. 06. I guess they may have gone bad again. Anyone had this happen?

Old 11-01-2008, 04:01 PM
mikeski
New User
I took the right side valve cover off. Everything looks good. Anyone got any ideas.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:37 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Did you scan for codes?

Old 11-01-2008, 07:13 PM
the_old_ranger
Senior User
Ask the Dieselmann, I really don't know without seeing the truck..
dieselmann's Page

Old 11-17-2008, 08:22 PM
mikeski
New User
I thought I had it after reading the dieselman's page. No luck. It has been cold more consistantly now and the problem still exists. The part that puzzles me is, will start up and I can drive it for a mile and then it shows the symtoms from above. Any ideas? Like I said I have owned this truck for 12 years and have been through most of the normal problems in this forum. I have used the search and cannot find one where the truck starts ok then exibits symtoms similar to a hard starting issue. By the way no check engine light so no codes.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:44 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
is your EBPV still hooked up?? if so you might want to give it a look

Old 11-17-2008, 08:46 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
unplug the EBPV. It the two wire connector on the driver side of the turbo. Unplug that and leave it and all your problems will go away.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:22 PM
mikeski
New User
That is what I got from the dieselman's page. It didn't work. Maybe I unplugged the wrong thing. I unplugged the 2 wire connector on the driverside on the intake side of the turbo. Anyone got a picture please?
Thanks again Mike

Old 11-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikeski
That is what I got from the dieselman's page. It didn't work. Maybe I unplugged the wrong thing. I unplugged the 2 wire connector on the driverside on the intake side of the turbo. Anyone got a picture please?
Thanks again Mike
Here ya go.

Be sure the EBPV is staying open (it should). Wire it if you need to

Old 11-18-2008, 08:26 AM
westcoastslider
Senior User
How long has it been since you changed your fuel filter and cleaned your FPR screen?

I was having those same symptoms, although not so bad. It would start fine, run for a mile then start to miss just slightly for about a mile and clear up. Changing the filter and cleaning the screen made it go away.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:08 PM
mikeski
New User
Thank you Jim, I disconnected the correct plug. The valve shows open right now (truck has been sitting over night). Can the valve close any other way with it unplugged. New fuel filter. I hate to say it but I have never cleaned the FPR screen. Not really leaning that way because this is definetly a temperature related issue. No problems all summer.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:39 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
When was the last time you got fuel? Could be that the fuel is getting cloudy, (ice crystals forming) and plugging up the fuel filter. After the heater gets the fuel warmed up, the crystals go away. Have you added any additive to the fuel? Anti-gel?

Old 11-18-2008, 02:57 PM
mikeski
New User
Fuel is fresh. The problem existing through several tanks. And goes away as soon as it warms up outside. I have never added anything to the fuel in 12 years. Maybe the newer low sulfer diesel needs it more? If I can't fix it by the end of the day tommorrow I'm going to have to take it to the dealer for the first time ever. Consistant cold weather coming.

Quick Reply: 94 Powerstroke Cold Blooded All Of Sudden