Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Ever try an electric supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:42 PM
EMD_DRIVER
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ever try an electric supercharger?

I know they only produce 8lbs of boost, but I want to know if anyone here has ever tried them..

Clicky

Old 01-14-2009, 09:25 PM
charlie92/7.3l
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they draw amp load do you know how much becauce it loads the alt witch takes hp

Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 PM
PhilBell
Senior User
Smells like Bullshkit to me. However, I had a Supercharged VW Corrado a while back, and the torque curve on that car was phenomenal, thanks to the ol' blower. The boost is always there, no lag whatsoever. I much prefer supercharged over turbocharger, but this little gimmick seems pretty skectchy to me.
sorry, i freak out about my cars. and brag about them every chance I get.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 PM
91f2504x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to sound negative but that would be a big waste of money. I really really doubt they would even produce 8psi of boost if you blocked off the output and ran them on 24v.

Did you notice they never actually show a picture of their "electric supercharger". More than likely it is just like the one sold on ebay, a squirell cage fan. It would be like hooking one of the heater blowers from your truck to the intake. It would probably be more restriction than boost, and then you are sucking bits of plastic into your intake when it flies apart.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 PM
1dieselman
Elder User
Well at least this one seems to be better than the one that looks like a boat bilge blower that I've seen here and there

Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 PM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Did anyone look closely at the engine picture of the Integra on the "press" page... I see a normal, exhaust driven turbo on there.
There is a electric motor driven supercharger on the market, and that sucker ain't cheap: thomas knight : turbo upgrades + superchargers
It is proven, and it works, but, it's short bursts of power only, sort of like nitrous. Maximum duration is 15 seconds, it's not something practical or worthwhile on a diesel.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:30 PM
PhilBell
Senior User
Originally Posted by 82F100SWB
Did anyone look closely at the engine picture of the Integra on the "press" page... I see a normal, exhaust driven turbo on there.
There is a electric motor driven supercharger on the market, and that sucker ain't cheap: thomas knight : turbo upgrades + superchargers
It is proven, and it works, but, it's short bursts of power only, sort of like nitrous. Maximum duration is 15 seconds, it's not something practical or worthwhile on a diesel.

Yea, I noticed that also, an exhaust mani. with a turbo, a blow off valve.... No belt driven charger. I'll bet this product is an extremely overpriced "Tornado Fuel Saver" (which actually do what they advertise, and a good job at it.. I'm seriously) This looks like some jerk job trying to scam people and make money. Check out some Eaton superchargers if you're looking. They are not the most efficient, but kind of the standard. Hope you know of a good machine shop.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:22 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
for a single cylinder lawn mower engine, an electric blower will work. for anything else, just send me the money you would spend for it, and i will send you a detailed slip of paper saying you are an idiot.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:12 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
I think one of the bigger names (Paxton, Eaton, Whipple or somebody) made a single-digit PSI 12V electric "blower".
It seems like I saw either "Shade Tree Mechanic" or "Hot Rod TV" (now Horse Power TV) install one on a Camaro or something at least 10-12 years ago. Back when Spike was TNN.
Obviously those shows install what their sponsors tell/pay them to but it wasn't some fly-by-night company.
I don't know if it sucked or what but I'm sure I saw one.

I remember thinking at the time it would be cool on a gasser, if it worked.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only $130?? I say someone should try them and post some results. My concern (if it wasn't a scam) is it might be able to produce 8psi, but how many cfm??

Old 01-15-2009, 09:27 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Any of the "cheap" electric superchargers are junk. They have been proven so. They can't move the kind of CFM that even a four cylinder needs at WOT, and thus become a restriction.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I copied this from the FAQ page.

The electric supercharger compresses air via compressor electrically, then sends it into your combustion chamber. Air is taken from your intake filter, and is sent down the intake manifold. The supercharger is hooked in parallel to your vehicles existing intake plenum. The wiring diagram of the supercharger is shown below:

So the stock intake path is left as is, the electric supercharger is hooked in parallel with the stock intake.

So any boost the unit produces will blow back out the stock intake and when the motor is needing more CFM's than the electric supercharger can produce it can still suck air in through the stock intake.

The 30% power increase is a direct result of the lighter wallet in your pocket.

Notice no CFM/PSI charts, just send money and you will recieve what you need.

Also read the terms and service page.

Also notice "Up to 8 PSI boost"

No claim was made it will produce 8 PSI boost, just that it can produce up to 8 PSI.
That may be 8 PSI with the outlet port blocked off.

Don't waste any money on this.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:39 PM
tabascom16
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had someone tell me about these at one point and I looked into them. For one thing...8lbs of boost is wrong from what I have been able to find. They are lucky if they can put out 2-3lb of boost...and they only try and sell these things for little four bangers.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:44 AM
LilDuke
Elder User
You know where this actually would be usefull. how about cold starts and warmup. Maybe hook one up to the high idle selenoid. Hmm, Does anyone know what cfm input this engine uses at 850rpm's? I have a 3800cfm blower that only draws 4 amps. umm, @240VAC lol

Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is amazing how well the false advertising is working, these questions keep coming up, even though many of us find plenty of proof for them not to work.

Taken from the Feb 2009 edition of Hot Rod Magazine:
Q: I see a lot of ads on eBay for electric turbochargers. Basically, the turbo is driven off an electric motor rather than the exhaust gas. I am assuming that since I have yet to see this particular setup on any of the cars you feature , it doesn't really work. My guess is that to be effective, the turbocharger probably needs at least 5 hp and that is not really practical for a 12v motor to put out. I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

A: You're right on track, but the numbers are much more extreme than you surmised. According to Turbonetics engineer Dave Austin, it takes about 68lbs/min of air to make 15psi (1 atmosphere) of boost with a moderate sized turbo installation on a typical 350 ci engine, which would be good with intercooling for about 650 hp When compressor discharge pressure, compressor efficiency, air temperature, pressure losses, adiabatic efficiency, and other factors are taken into account, Austin calculates that it actually takes 61.54 hp to drive the turbo at 15 psi.

How much electrical energy does it take to generate 61.54 hp? Watts is not only the expression for electrical power, but is also how horsepower is expressed in the SI (metric) system. Seven hundred forty six wats is about equal to 1 hp, so 61.54 hp is roughly equivalent to 45,909 watts of electrical power(61.54 x 746 = 45,908.84). That would take a humongous electrical motor maybe larger than the vehicle itself.

But wait, it gets worse: Electrical devices generally should not operate continuously at a 100% duty cycle, which means you'd need some additional reserve built in - figure about a 20% safety margin. So now we're looking at 55,090.608 watt motor (45,908.84 x 1.20 = 55,090.608)

That is just the figures, I cut it short when they go into talking about the charging to keep up with such a monster...
Now, I used to build industrial fans and blowers, so that kind of pressure is doable, but it takes a lot of motor, and rpm, to do it.

Quick Reply: Ever try an electric supercharger?