1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

A turbo with anti-surge counter measures.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 01:27 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A turbo with anti-surge counter measures.....

For those of you who know anything about electronics, heres my weekly long shot of a thought...

You may or or not know that an electric motor is basically magnets swinging past coils of wire (for simplicitys sake, anyways). When you spin the motor by hand, there is very little friction. If you ground out the power wires however, the motor becomes very difficult to spin.

Turbo surge is the dynamics of flowing air changing from a smooth flow, into a cycle that the turbo gains RPM's and looses efficiency momentarily, then the aerodynamics change and the higher RPM's catch the air better and reverse the cycle, only to be repeated to a greater extent the next time.

Heres my brainfart....

If, IF, we could take the stock compressor wheel, and somehow attach some small lightweight magnets along the outer edge of the wheel, not the fins, there could also be some special coils installed into the housing.

Then, we'd need a very simple computer that would short the coils when it senses the boost PSI dropping and the turbo RPM going up.

What do you guys think?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:23 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds like you have to much idle time for thinking.
I prefer to take simpler approaches to solving problems. Things like that may work in theory, but not be cost effective to apply.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:49 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Parkland, I want some of what you are drinking.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:58 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by miller_feed
Parkland, I want some of what you are drinking.
Lets not go there

Really though, this is a really simply thing, just sounds like a science project.....

Old 10-28-2008, 04:19 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can smell what you are cooking Parkland, BUT, the turbo is a highly balanced machine with ultra low tolerances for the rotating parts. I am afraid we might throw the balance off, and then we would be looking at carnage. Think of a jet engine that ingests a small bird. Take a small bird, one that really is not that tough, its just feathers, air filled bones, and some slimy stuff, now throw it into a turbo fan engine. POOF! pieces of compressor wheels, start falling out the back of the engine. I dont want any carnage, but I do appreciate the idea and the thought process.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:36 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, the larger turbine engines on airplanes are made of a single crystal material in order to minimize dislocations (weak points) in the structure. The stronger turbines can ingest larger birds without damage, but in testing, many iterations were used on turbine design, many times failing catasrophically. Maybe make a compressor wheel with ferrous blade tips, then you could induce a current to slow down turbine speed. Although, I'm not sure how much the compressor blades would like flexing back and forth...probably better than surge though. The problem with making a two material compressor is that thermal expansion could cause problems...maybe for the controller you could use pulse width modulation to 'soft' apply current to slow down the compressor wheel... I know they use pulse width modulation on the EATC control heads and torque converter strategy...maybe put it to good use... Food for thought I guess

Old 10-28-2008, 04:57 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
I can smell what you are cooking Parkland, BUT, the turbo is a highly balanced machine with ultra low tolerances for the rotating parts. I am afraid we might throw the balance off, and then we would be looking at carnage. Think of a jet engine that ingests a small bird. Take a small bird, one that really is not that tough, its just feathers, air filled bones, and some slimy stuff, now throw it into a turbo fan engine. POOF! pieces of compressor wheels, start falling out the back of the engine. I dont want any carnage, but I do appreciate the idea and the thought process.

So are the cleareances on a hydraulic pump Brandon.. so, there you can do it, maybe it can be done with a little work..

Old 10-28-2008, 05:35 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
The new GE engines(Boooo!!! GE) can take 2x4's and 4x8 sheets of plywood and still rmain intact. I like the theory parkland. I don't know how practical it would be as opposed to just designing and using the proper compressor for the application, but it is an interesting line of thinking.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:41 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does Eugene have a son ??

Old 10-28-2008, 07:44 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by TNT in Round Rock
does Eugene have a son ??
I sure hope he don't live in Parkland.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
HEY!! Maybe you could make that help recharge the batteries, thus taking some load of the alt, thus improving mileage. Would that then qualify us for that damn green leaf thing on hybrids & flex-fuel vehicles. Oh, BTW why aren't all (recent) diesels immediately considered "green" because we can all burn BD?? Therefore, we should be allowed in the HOV lanes, right??