Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New diesel owner. Cold Starts??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 01:21 AM
dannykelsey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New diesel owner. Cold Starts??

I live in Texas and it does not get all that cold here, but we do have some nights at about 30 sometimes lower and a lot of nights in the 50's and 40's. When is it proper to use a my block heater? I live in an apartment so electric $$ is not a problem cause I use the provided plugs outside. Also, I notice that a lot of people talk about a high RPM with cold starts. I have not noticed that at all with mine, but it has only gotten down to about 50 so far. Any info? thanks.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:29 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude, I live in canada, and I've started mine as low as -20 without being plugged in.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:44 AM
AustinS
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually don't plug mine in until it gets below 25°F, and I have never had any problems. Just see how it goes plugged in and unplugged at the colder temps. Then decide what works best for you.

The high idle you hear people mention is a feature of the exhaust back pressure sensor and regulator to help the engine warm up more quickly.

The Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor is a variable capacitor sensor that is supplied a 5-volt reference signal by the PCM and returns a linear analog voltage signal that indicates pressure. The Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor measures the pressure in the RH exhaust manifold. This sensor is used in conjunction with the exhaust back-pressure regulator to form a closed loop exhaust back-pressure control system.

Exhaust back pressure is controlled to provide more heat to the coolant for cab heating when ambient air temperature is below 7°C (45°F) and engine oil temperature is below 75°C (167°F) during low load. At high load, high speed conditions, the back pressure system is disabled.

The exhaust back pressure regulator solenoid and exhaust back pressure piston are contained in the turbocharger mounting pedestal. Turbocharger pressurized lube oil is routed to the exhaust back pressure solenoid. Oil regulated by the exhaust back pressure solenoid actuates the piston which operates the back pressure valve in the exhaust housing.

You'll know it when it kicks in. Your truck will hiss like it's exhaust is obstructed and the idle will rise. As soon as you touch the brake pedal or give it more throttle, it disengages.

Austin

Old 10-28-2008, 06:20 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I plug mine in when it drops below 40. Not because the truck needs it to start, but because it makes the heater work faster in the morning.

The high idle will only kick in if you start the truck and leave it at idle for a minute or so. If you just start the truck, count to 20 and drive off, you'll never hear it. Also, it hasn't been cold enough yet for the high idle feature to kick in.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:06 AM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
If I had free electricity, I would probably use my block heater every day, even in the summer. It can only do good, and the only thing you'd be wearing out is the block heater itself, which is relatively cheap to replace.

I know these engines will start at pretty low temps without using the block heater, but the closer to operating temperature you can get it before you start it, the better. Better flowing oil means less wear. This might seem extreme to some, but I would like my 7.3 to last forever. The only reason I don't use my block heater every day is because I pay for the electricity.

Another thing, and I only suspect this, I wish someone would prove or disprove it: I suspect that improved efficiency of a warmer start might offset the cost of electricity, for those of us with a relatively short commute. This is another reason I use my block heater probably more frequently than most, and at milder temperatures. I start it up cold, drive it nine miles, and then shut it off. But, when I use the block heater, it's up to full temperature and blowing hot air out of the vents at two miles. Plus, when it initially starts, it's running much smoother and at a lower idle than when I don't use the heater.

It wouldn't take much of a mileage increase to offset the cost of that electricity. And even if there was no fuel savings, I'd probably still do it for the startup wear issue, as long as I wasn't running it all night (I use a timer).

I see no downside to using the block heater, as long as it's not costing you a fortune in electricity.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:25 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
I live in Central Texas and have never pluged the block heater in wouthout any problems in over 3 yrs. I pretty much do what F350-6 (Chris) said, start it wait a sec. and drive easy at first till she warms up a bit then drive normal.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I never plugged mine in until I moved to Colorado. My truck is a Texas truck, then lived in SC for a while.

These trucks start fine in 40 and 30 degree weather without a block heater. 20's and teens might be a little rougher if you run regular 15w40 oil. Some people get the cold start romps. Switching to synthentics usually takes care of that problem until you get down into the negatives.

Starting a truck at -15 or less without a block heater makes it into an entirely different animal. These trucks are grumpy at those temps.

On a similar subject, my GPR decided to take a dump on me this morning. That's the third one to toast since I've owned the truck. Crank crank crank.... lots o smoke.... crank crank crank... lots o smoke.... crank crank FIRE UP...... so much smoke the next door neighbor walking his dog runs away. LOL I fogged the entire street this morning.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:13 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Curtis -

Sounds like you need to do the Monster Stancor GPR that Guzzle wrote about. Heck, it's even Halloween!!!! A perfect time of year to put a monster under hood!! LOL

Old 10-28-2008, 08:31 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I haven't had any problems with cold starts, but I like to use my block heater when it dips down to around 30* or below. Not so much for starting, but the quicker warm up. I use a HD timer on the cord to start the heater about 5 hours before I leave for work. I just plug it in the night before. I found a cover plug (similar to the Marinco) from an OTR diesel truck that I'm thinking of mounting so that is easier to access. I have a little bit of a problem getting the cord from behind the license plate. Just haven't found a good place to put the covered plug yet.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by papadelogan
Curtis -

Sounds like you need to do the Monster Stancor GPR that Guzzle wrote about. Heck, it's even Halloween!!!! A perfect time of year to put a monster under hood!! LOL
Yeah I know I should. Probably going to use the AIH relay (since I don't have an AIH anymore) as a temp fix until the Stancor gets here.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:00 AM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mueckster
I found a cover plug (similar to the Marinco) from an OTR diesel truck that I'm thinking of mounting so that is easier to access. I have a little bit of a problem getting the cord from behind the license plate. Just haven't found a good place to put the covered plug yet.
Check out what I did:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ater-plug.html

No more bending over.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:41 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks,
Good idea, but my grille guard has expanded metal in front of the griile and doesn't allow me easy access to the openings.