1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

EBPS...cheapest place to purchase?

Old 10-27-2008, 10:56 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow EBPS...cheapest place to purchase?

Anyone know the best and cheapest place to get the exhaust BP sensor? I really dont want to have to go to the stealership....

Whats the disadvantage of having a malfunctioning sensor anyways?

Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The disadvantage is poor mileage. I just took mine off & cleaned it. It was pretty much spotless, which surprised me. A lot of folks have taken theirs off and the tube & sensor were packed with soot. I had a black film in there and that was it. I cleaned it out with B12 & break cleaner anyway, but it certainly didn't need it.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:27 PM
AustinS
Laughing Gas
That one that jdecker linked to is a smokin deal. I paid around $75 for the ones I ordered from the powerstrokeshop. I sent you a pm before this post to unload a brand new one for $50 I got stuck with. I ordered for a coworker who flaked out, but I'd buy the one off eBay for that price.

Poor mileage like Izzy351 said and really just a pain in the a$$ when driving in the winter. I replaced mine and also installed a single pole switch to manually shut mine off completely when I choose. I haven't logged enough miles or time to see if there is any mileage difference by disabling it, but if there is, it's minor.

good luck,

Austin

Old 10-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Austin, are you talking about disabling the EBPV (valve in the turbo) manually or the EBPS (sensor)? I'm not sure what you'd gain by shutting down the sensor.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:25 AM
AustinS
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Austin, are you talking about disabling the EBPV (valve in the turbo) manually or the EBPS (sensor)? I'm not sure what you'd gain by shutting down the sensor.

Sorry, my fault in not clarifying. I'm talking about disabling the solenoid that moves the valve.
The sensor still sends the proper signal the PCM so there is no issue with over fueling. I don't gain anything, but my neighbor who's bedroom is directly in the aim of my exhaust appreciates it. There are times when I'm leaving at 3:30-4:00 am and I like to spare him the Rolls-Royce 747 jet engine impression the exhaust makes when the valve activates and the idle increases. I only use it then, and for a very short time as I don't want wet stacking related problems from the extended cold idle.

I also use it at times when in real slow moving traffic in extremely cold weather. It's nice to not have to tap the brake pedal or goose the throttle every 10 seconds for the first 10 or more minutes before it warms up enough. It really annoys me. The next time I have to service the turbo for anything, I'm pulling the pedestal and I'll swap everything out and be done for good the right way. But I have no leaks or issues with anything there as of now, so I'm letting "the sleeping dog lie."

Austin

Old 10-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Flatdeck
Senior User
Originally Posted by triskit16
Anyone know the best and cheapest place to get the exhaust BP sensor? I really dont want to have to go to the stealership....
Sometimes the dealership is your friend.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...v-sensors.html

Old 10-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AustinS
Sorry, my fault in not clarifying. I'm talking about disabling the solenoid that moves the valve.
The sensor still sends the proper signal the PCM so there is no issue with over fueling. I don't gain anything, but my neighbor who's bedroom is directly in the aim of my exhaust appreciates it. There are times when I'm leaving at 3:30-4:00 am and I like to spare him the Rolls-Royce 747 jet engine impression the exhaust makes when the valve activates and the idle increases. I only use it then, and for a very short time as I don't want wet stacking related problems from the extended cold idle.

I also use it at times when in real slow moving traffic in extremely cold weather. It's nice to not have to tap the brake pedal or goose the throttle every 10 seconds for the first 10 or more minutes before it warms up enough. It really annoys me. The next time I have to service the turbo for anything, I'm pulling the pedestal and I'll swap everything out and be done for good the right way. But I have no leaks or issues with anything there as of now, so I'm letting "the sleeping dog lie."

Austin
Yeah I got you. Kinda figured it was something like that. Mine never closes off while moving, but it barely gets below 30 here, and even when it does, it's not there long. But I don't think these newer PCM controlled engines will wet stack. I think that's something the old mechanically controlled diesels did. At least, I've never heard of it recently. We have generators in the military that run hours (and days/weeks!!) on end at ~1500 rpm and never wet stack. The old ones used to if they ran unloaded too long.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:08 PM
MYSUPERDUTY
Freshman User
Found this one on ebay too, it was the best price I found. I will be picking one up if cleaning it and the tube doesnt fix my problem.

eBay Motors: ford powerstroke EBP sensor 97-03 4c3z-9j460-a NEW OEM (item 160291471239 end time Oct-18-08 11:21:02 PDT)

**EDIT** Didnt realize the auction had ended, hopefully he re-lists

Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
He did relist...I believe its the same fella selling them in the link Justin provided. He added $10 more to the price though!

Search this Thread