Sponsored by:

Ultimate vehicle recovery

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:14 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ultimate vehicle recovery

Alright now that I have your attention, I should preface this with a description.
This was perhaps the worst attempt at vehicle recover ever. I could go on record to say that I have never in my life seen something so funny. Yes, there were chains involved, and fortunately no one was hurt.
This took place in So, Ca. This facility is known for its many different types of mud. This mud had a stiff surface, but would barely hold vehicle weight. Small bubbles, and water quickly filling the tire tracks would indicate that this was deep. Almost like walking on a waterbed, this Jello like substance was ready to eat vehicles.
This Jeep decided to attack the goo, and was stopped almost immediately. Multiple attempts were made to free the vehicle, and none were succesful.
A rather large truck with 44's made the most valiant attempt, only to loose its wonderful lift blocks, and lost the rear axle. Axle slid all the way back to the shackles, and the rest was history. Now there were two dead vehicles. All the while, each vehicle is sinking at a rather alarming rate. Yes, here you cant leave a vehicle stuck for too long, the mud will eventually eat a complete vehicle. Some have never been recovered.
Junk truck on 44's now out of the way, some genius decides that pulling the vehicle from the side would break the suction that the mud had over this vehicle, and that all they had to do was pull a little from the side. Genius number two agrees, and wraps a recovery rope around the roll cage. Yes, the roll cage, I mean where else are you gonna get that type of leverage right?
Keep in mind this is a stock roll cage, and is more of an ornament than a real cage.
Pull number one, slight tug, and the vehicle moves, hey,,,score one for the genius that came up with the idea right?
Pull two, since the slight tug worked well, a little bigger hit would be better right? Here goes! Little bit if a run, and POW! Off comes the entire body!!!!
Yes, they managed to pull the entire body from the chassis! 20 feet away is the body, and what is left of the chassis is still in the mud, only to be extracted by real recovery vehicles, and real recover equipment, and real operators that have the experience to perform such a task.
Just for the record, it took a couple of Old Fords to get her done!!!!

Enjoy the pics!
Image of Looks like a Jeep - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Image of What could this be - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Image of Body lift bushing - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Image of Top view of the Jeep that could not stay together - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Image of The remains - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Image of Just what is left - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Image of Big Fords doing the deed - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

They put the body back on the chassis, and got it back on the trailer.
This was entertaining to say the least.
I can say, only one jeep was destroyed making this little picture show, and nobody was hurt. Than goodness for small miracles. This had disater written all over it.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:55 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exactly how did they just rip the body off? Hook the chain to the doors???

Old 10-27-2008, 03:14 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
I have to say that thier theory was sound. Unload the vehicle weight and minimixe the suction created by the thinck heavy mud, and have another vehicle pull the vehicle out. They attempted to lift it by the roll cage on the opposite side of the vehicle, and while one vehicle tugged away from the side, another let it rip from the rear.
All they accomplished was pulling the entire body off of the vehicle.
I can still hear the noises that is made. Not quite like a train wreck, and to tell you the truth it was total comedy.
I still laugh when I see this.
Some peoples childeren I tell ya.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. That is pretty funny. Just goes to show you that you have to not be stupid.

(Obviously)

Old 10-27-2008, 04:20 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LMAO hilarious!!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
It's a Jeep thing... you wouldn't understand

Old 10-27-2008, 10:30 PM
unrulee
Posting Guru
That's great!!!!

Is that Azusa Canyon? Looks similar to what I've seen on Utube. Looks like very hardcore mudding even if it isn't.

It's a Jeep thing you wouldn't.............mind helping me bolt the body back on would ya !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:56 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by unrulee
That's great!!!!

Is that Azusa Canyon? Looks similar to what I've seen on Utube. Looks like very hardcore mudding even if it isnt
Yes, it is Azusa Canyon. It is actually very good mud. This is a reservior that we pay to wheel in.
There is several different types of mud here, and depending on the silt layer, it can get very deep. Often it may have some sand, and other times, thick like clay. It can happen in different spots too. Reading the terrain is difficult, and it is not a water mess like I see elsewhere in the country.
Azusa has been mentioned as one of the top spots to wheel.
Dont know what you consider hardcore, but you are always welcome here, and,,,dont be fooled by small clips on You Tube. There is enough technical wheeling and mud to make any truck suffer.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:31 PM
shooter123
Elder User
everytime i make a mistake i will look at those pics and feel better about myself.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:33 AM
straightsix4x4
Elder User
Originally Posted by shooter123
everytime i make a mistake i will look at those pics and feel better about myself.
hahaha, you sure hope anyway right?

Old 10-28-2008, 04:59 AM
shooter123
Elder User
I done some stupid stuff but I could never imagine saying that I accidently lifted a body from it's frame.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:45 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 75F350
Yes, it is Azusa Canyon. It is actually very good mud. This is a reservior that we pay to wheel in.
When I used to be in the service, stationed in California, I drove down there one time. It is pretty cool. I sure wouldn't try it with anything I own.

It's a shame you have to pay, but that is the California way. Everything has a useage fee

Old 10-28-2008, 12:45 PM
unrulee
Posting Guru
I meant that it's still hardcore mudding even if it isn't Azusa. I thought that it looked familiar.

I'd never put my junk through any of that, from what I've seen!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:01 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
It is tough on trucks. I have to keep after all of the trucks. Water crossings are tough, and the mud can be brutal. I go through the bearings at least once a season, sometimes twice. I am not one to leave anything alone, and let them fail, and I have the front end, and rear hubs off every third trip. Thats a bunch of maintenance, and gear oil alone can drive a guy to the poor house, but it beats breaking down. I hate that.
Heak, I had several dozen D60F spindles at one, time, because I felt they simply needed to be changed.
I am a little crazy when it comes to this type of maintenance.
Depending on how deep one wants to get, there is mud for all different levels of vehicles.
Two of the last TTC competitors call Azusa (San Gabriel Canyon OHV) home.
Not uncommon to see many of the big boyz (greater than 44" tires) burried to the doors.
Severl of us are in the 500 plus cubic inch club, and the mud can get thick enough to bring a large displacement thumper stroker to its knees, yet still can provide enough fun for a a stock showroom FJ to play. Enough for all types of off roading here.
Fun place,,,,,, close to home, and only costs a few bucks.
I do not mind paying to play. It costs money to play one way or another.......

Old 10-28-2008, 05:18 PM
unrulee
Posting Guru
Yeah that Cheeto truck was in it this year.

Quick Reply: Ultimate vehicle recovery