How to use the TW chip.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 06:56 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question How to use the TW chip.

I got the chip working and I have some questions:
I choose 6 pos: stock, economy, heavy tow, street, race and high idle.
My questions are: when Im towing my TT, I always has to use the Tow setting on hills or flats, or I can use economy in flat ? this is because I want to get the best MPG and lower EGTs.
The other question: reading at the DP tunner page they said that you can Tow heavier loads with light Tow, than with Heavy Tow, Im confused about that, what do you think?

Thanks to all.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Aberasturi_c
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason they tow settings are like that is because in light tow you are going to be getting less fuel which mean's less heat (main problem with towing). So heavy tow will allow you to tow lighter loads while still feeling that strong TQ and not get hot.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:55 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jose you can tow in what ever program you want as long as temps are where they need to be. I wouldn't recommend towing in Econo simple due to the earlier shift points. I towed a 24 foot enclosed car trailer loaded in street race with no issues at all other than kicking OD off to keep temps in check.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:17 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Talking

Originally Posted by Aberasturi_c
The reason they tow settings are like that is because in light tow you are going to be getting less fuel which mean's less heat (main problem with towing). So heavy tow will allow you to tow lighter loads while still feeling that strong TQ and not get hot.
Thanks for the explanation.

Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Jose you can tow in what ever program you want as long as temps are where they need to be. I wouldn't recommend towing in Econo simple due to the earlier shift points. I towed a 24 foot enclosed car trailer loaded in street race with no issues at all other than kicking OD off to keep temps in check.
And what about the MPG?

Thanks a lot guys. I cant wait to tow with the chip in.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:39 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I can't speak for MPG. My MPG were splattered in soot all over the front of the white trailer

Old 10-25-2008, 10:14 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aberasturi_c
I think you have that backwards. I have both heavy and light tow settings on my TW chip. The heavy tow has nowhere near the power of my light tow setting, that's why it's better for heavy loads, less fuel.

I base my chip setting choice on my EGT, if my load is too heavy for a particular setting, I turn it down a notch. Now that I have added the IC, I don't need to use the heavy tow anymore.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:30 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Talking

Originally Posted by tjbeggs
I can't speak for MPG. My MPG were splattered in soot all over the front of the white trailer
he he he, that was a good answer.

Originally Posted by MagKarl
I think you have that backwards. I have both heavy and light tow settings on my TW chip. The heavy tow has nowhere near the power of my light tow setting, that's why it's better for heavy loads, less fuel.

I base my chip setting choice on my EGT, if my load is too heavy for a particular setting, I turn it down a notch. Now that I have added the IC, I don't need to use the heavy tow anymore.
Well, thats bad for me, because maybe I misunderstood about that, I thougth that the heavy Tow has more power and IIRC Neal, also said so, but maybe Im wrong about what he said. I would like to hear here to Neal about that.

Thanks

Old 10-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
My light tow doesn't blow as much smoke and therefore has less power. My heavy tow has more power to pull the heavier load.

If the load gets too hot in the heavy tow I would switch to the light tow because of less fuel and heat but also less power.

Kind of sounds funny or almost backwards but that is how Tony lists them on his burn list.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:41 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
My light tow doesn't blow as much smoke and therefore has less power. My heavy tow has more power to pull the heavier load.

If the load gets too hot in the heavy tow I would switch to the light tow because of less fuel and heat but also less power.

Kind of sounds funny or almost backwards but that is how Tony lists them on his burn list.
Thanks for the input, and thats what I understood and only choose HEAVY TOW. Maybe some other will chime in.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:53 PM
79_250RangerLariat
Posting Guru
That's what I understood on the Heavy Tow as well. I like the way it runs with a heavy load and don't regret not getting light tow to find out. I don't think I've had it on any other setting for normal driving, just like the torque feeling.
I haven't ran extreem enuf to know how it does, biggest thing I've noticed is in lower gears it revs almost too quickly.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Talking

Originally Posted by 79_250RangerLariat
That's what I understood on the Heavy Tow as well. I like the way it runs with a heavy load and don't regret not getting light tow to find out. I don't think I've had it on any other setting for normal driving, just like the torque feeling.
I haven't ran extreem enuf to know how it does, biggest thing I've noticed is in lower gears it revs almost too quickly.
Thanks, thats what I wanted to hear.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:05 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
I agree mine revs so quick I can't even take my hand off the shifter. Next thing I know I am flying.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:28 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not arguing, but I still think that light tow is more fuel and power than heavy. You can't throw more fuel at a heavier load for long, if that worked, everyone would tow 20K lbs. in their "extreme" or "race" tune. My tunes are in order of increasing power/fuel, stock, high idle, heavy tow, light tow, daily driver, and stupid. There is a very distinct difference between the two tow tunes, heavy isn't a lot more powerful than stock, and light isn't much weaker than my daily driver. To me that makes sense. If I'm pulling a light trailer, I ought to be able to manage EGT with almost as much fuel as I'd use running around empty. I'm done now.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MagKarl
I'm not arguing, but I still think that light tow is more fuel and power than heavy. You can't throw more fuel at a heavier load for long, if that worked, everyone would tow 20K lbs. in their "extreme" or "race" tune. My tunes are in order of increasing power/fuel, stock, high idle, heavy tow, light tow, daily driver, and stupid. There is a very distinct difference between the two tow tunes, heavy isn't a lot more powerful than stock, and light isn't much weaker than my daily driver. To me that makes sense. If I'm pulling a light trailer, I ought to be able to manage EGT with almost as much fuel as I'd use running around empty. I'm done now.
Could somebody call directly to DP and TW to ask that and clarify this for ever?, I dont call them because as I have told you I dont speak English fluently . And Im not going to know because I dont have light tow

Thank to all of you.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:08 AM
westcoastslider
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is from Tony's site.

• Tow is going to be approximately 50hp increase for the 94-97 models and 65ish for 99-03 models.
  • Heavy tow will have shift points adjusted and an increase in power over the regular tow program.
So it sounds to me like heavy tow will produce more power and higher EGT's which could be a problem when pulling a heavy load without an intercooler.

Oh yeah, he doesn't list a light tow option...
Just tow and heavy tow.

Quick Reply: How to use the TW chip.