Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help with decision on buying an '03

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Bowie
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with decision on buying an '03

I am looking at buying and '03 with the 7.3L. Is there anything that I should be weary of? It does have 35" tires and a banks 6 gun tuner. Did the 03 have any issues? I know that it had the non forged rods but I am not planning on building a 400 hp rig. (as cool as that would be).

Also what would be a good price for buying this rig?

options:
lariat
50,000 miles
banks 6 gun
35" tires
6" lift.
everything else looks fine on the truck

Thanks for the help

Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 AM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
I bought an 03 Excursion with 140K on it I have put another 30k on with no issues. Get rid of the banks ASAP it is well worth it to go with a DP, I had a Six gun on my ex and wish I would have switched sooner. The only thing I would be leary of is the Lift and bigger tires as far as wear and tear on tires...and mileage reduction

Old 10-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maintenance records would be ideal if you can get them. The '03's are nice trucks, had a few more bells and whistles that the early trucks didn't have. The mileage is really low so nice score on that. If you really want some useful info, get the VIN and have an OASIS report ran to see any warranty work performed by the dealer.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Adam0331
Posting Guru
I just bought an 03 F350 EC LB in July and love it. Bought it with 93,000 and just rolled 100,000. No issues yet. Someone will give you a link of things to look out for when you check the truck out.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam0331
I just bought an 03 F350 EC LB in July and love it. Bought it with 93,000 and just rolled 100,000. No issues yet. Someone will give you a link of things to look out for when you check the truck out.
Here's the link:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...questions.html

Old 10-22-2008, 10:47 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I bought my 03 with 165,000 kms on it, and it now has 240,000 kms on it. Had to replace the speed sensor, and the idlers on it so far and thats it. Mine also has a reconditioned tranny in it, did some digging and found that the guy that had it before me pulled light loads with it, the tranny started to act up a little bit, so he took the original out, "beefed" a reconditioned tranny up and put it back in.

He never specified what he did when he beefed it up.

Auto tranny can be a weak point to watch out for.

Also for price, it all depends where you are located.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Bowie
Elder User
Well I am located in Washington State. Any ideas on cost? Also been reading on the DP Tuner. How hard to install and what is the exact best combo to get. Cost on the DP Unit?

Old 10-22-2008, 01:47 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bowie
Well I am located in Washington State. Any ideas on cost? Also been reading on the DP Tuner. How hard to install and what is the exact best combo to get. Cost on the DP Unit?
Total cost of the DP is about 400 depending on what programs you get. I have the F5 with the square controller and the guage mount. I would recommend stock, possible high idle, a tow tune (depending on weights you normally tow), possible decel tune, 80 econo, 140 Aggressive (or smoke), drive through tune. Also pay the little extra for the tunes that do not throw codes.

It is reall easy to install, with my banks there was a diablo chip stacked so it was simple plug and play, but getting the pcm ready is not difficult and the instructions are real good.

Removing the banks is not bad either, it is plugged in to you ICP sensor and your MAP sensor electrical plugs under the hood, but if you just trace, and remove the banks plugs and reconnect the stock plugs you will be good.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Bowie
Elder User
This is a little off topic but now I am interested. I am brand new to tuners, chips and what ever else to upgrade the engine.

1. The F5 1-16 Position Switch on the fly Chip:
You install this with the upgrades you select from DP. If you want to change them you have to take the module out and some how reprogram it, send it back or download the new tunes?

2. X3 Power Flash 7.3L Diesel:
Lets you change the tune or add more tunes to your f5 chip. (nice to have but not needed)

3. Does a switcher come with the f5 or you have to buy that seperate?

4. Gauges:
You buy these seperate. (EGT, Trans Temp, Boost) How hard are these to install?

5. Does the DP have safety built in or is it up to you to know what you are doing? EGT wise or any other safety issues?

6. Does the DP have any effect on longevity of the engine if kept within safe ranges?

7. The banks unit is so bad because?

Thanks for all help.

Kyle

Old 10-22-2008, 02:40 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
DP is just top of the line because Jody is one of the leaders in developing new tunes for our trucks. Tony Wildman is really the only other guy out there that is at or near the same level (that is at least the widely accepted thought process) Banks uses some short cuts to provide the feel of more power....dp just changes more parameters

Old 10-22-2008, 02:44 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bowie
I am looking at buying and '03 with the 7.3L. Is there anything that I should be weary of? It does have 35" tires and a banks 6 gun tuner. Did the 03 have any issues? I know that it had the non forged rods but I am not planning on building a 400 hp rig. (as cool as that would be).

Also what would be a good price for buying this rig?

options:
lariat
50,000 miles
banks 6 gun
35" tires
6" lift.
everything else looks fine on the truck

Thanks for the help

Even if you dont plan on pushing 400HP, didnt mean he didnt, and metal stresses over time.

Personally, I'd walk away unless you get a steal of a deal. I'd never buy a modified vehicle like that, better off to do it yourself and buy a truck that has been driven normally, not hot rodded.

my .02

Old 10-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Bowie
Elder User
Originally Posted by parkland
Even if you dont plan on pushing 400HP, didnt mean he didnt, and metal stresses over time.

Personally, I'd walk away unless you get a steal of a deal. I'd never buy a modified vehicle like that, better off to do it yourself and buy a truck that has been driven normally, not hot rodded.

my .02

This is one of my big fears, inherit someone elses problem. What would be a good price any idea?

Also are you saying to stay away from the non-forged rods?

Also you say you have "nothing out of the ordinary for a truck". Didnt I read a post from you that said you put hydrogen on your truck.

Thanks

Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
I got mine for 16k......lots of road miles but very well taken care of

Old 10-22-2008, 04:19 PM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
I paid $10k for mine when it had 150k on it, but well maintained, less the trans lol

Old 10-23-2008, 09:22 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
50K on a 7.3 is NOTHING and he really couldn't have done much to it with that POS 6gun in my opinion. I am a little biased but I really like the 2003's and they are the end of an era. Have it looked at, maybe get an oil sample and let Blackstone tell you what's going on inside. I wouldn't NOT buy it just because it has a programmer. Lot's of very good owners on this site have programmers, would you tell me that their trucks are pieces of crap because they have them?