General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

WHAT radio do I listen to?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WHAT radio do I listen to?

You gotta figure that it goes out in waves. What we like we listen at....

Old, new, bad, good, fast, slow, easy listening, hard, new age, "X", bounce, beat, rasta, RIP, HARD, classic rock, hard rock, country, hard country, OLD country, the list is so long I can't even explain it........

Old 11-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on my mood,,,

I'm like you Wolfie,, The list is long and distinguished!!!

I can handle anything but Opera. And throughout the course of the day, I will bounce around to several genres!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Learn German, and even opera becomes interesting.

THE SAME - but still interesting....

Suppose in German it were said:

"I can not live without her here..."

But not understanding it - it came out "BLOOD UNT BRAUNSCHWIEGER ALL OVER EVERYTHING!!!"

It becomes a mis-lingual non comprendo....

The music is still phenominal.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Odd that you should mention this!!!

That is exactly what I plan on doing as soon as I finish EMT classes!!!

My brother lives in Germany, so I figured it would be the best second language to learn!!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Ischt WAST????

If there is a software shop near you - try to find the "Instant Immersion TALK NOW!" series of german and other foreign language teaching discs. They will probably be on the discounted software racks, but they are excellent.

It makes a game out of learning to speak new languages....

They load onto your PC, and can even teach how to PRONOUNCE words.

- Besides, it's kinda fun.

Probably what will happen is that you will pick up a little bit, but it might just work. The rest you will get when you get there.

*I note that you never learn so much spanish so fast as when you are LOST in TIAJUANA...

Old 11-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I've been listening to classic rock and country lately since there isn't a good rock/metal station here. I did bring my Metallica CDs into work today, since I was the only one there. I had the stereo maxed out and the owner walked in- Turned it down and said something to the effect of "I thought you were a good Mormon boy", I just kinda laughed and told him I liked the sound.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
One of the weekends that I worked at the first RV place, I brought a RAMMSTIEN CD....

They left me alone to do what I had to do.

Strange, I haven't really rocked hard in a while....

Rufuss is indoors with me tonight, I wonder what he will think of RS.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Rammstien is awesome!!! I stole my daughter's CD!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
The one you want is the double CD/DVD set of the tour....

"VOLKERBALL!!!"

- it's the ultimate BOMB.....

You don't have to understand the words - they come to you or can be looked up online.

The sound itself is BITCHEN!!!

Umm....

I asked a lot of people, and they classed it as "INDUSTRIAL ROCK".

*If she doesn't make you GIVE IT BACK she's a poser!

I bet she do - cause SHE IS JUST LIKE YOU!!!

(SMACK ME BACK, JUST LIKE DAT!)

Old 11-08-2008, 11:38 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My "radio" taste and "musical" taste are often poles apart. I seldom turn to radio for music, except for "very" oldies when I can find them (I collect pre-WWII antique radios).
For a quick trip in the car, it's modern rock in all of it's incarnations on the plethora of stations here around Cleveland. We are blessed with great radio in this area, regardless of your taste.
Morning and evening drivetime is usualy local "talk" talent, Glenn Beck or Rush (don't hate me, please). I used to be a devout Howard and O&A fan, but my tolerance for that has dwindled in recent years. Same with Rover. I must be getting crusty in my old age.

My "musical" taste runs the gamut from Folk to Industrial depending on what I'm looking for. I'm partial to 80's Hair stuff, 70's top 40 etc, but I've heard it thousands of times. I love Bluegrass, grew up on Country and play the Dobro (resonator guitar), and mandolin. On the 180, I like Ramstein and Godsmack. Musically, I'm all over the map.
Right now, I'm listening to some pretty sweet pre-war Glenn Miller (MP3, via an SST-1000 transmitter to a 1937 RCA C15-3 radio) thinking about heading toward some early Sinatra.
I hate hardcore Rap, but there are some rap influences that have crept into more mainstream music that sound pretty darn good. I find that I'm into some Urban Contemporary stuff lately.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:11 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Snowbunny
I can handle anything but Opera.
Yeah, I don't like her very much either....
'course you spelled her name wrong. It's Oprah.

I am listening to Essential Lynyrd Skynyrd right now. Some of their early stuff was damn fine! (all their stuff was/ is still great) They really brought a blues influence into Southern Rock. I also have found that no matter how stressed out I am, I mellow out when I listen to SRV. "Blues at Sunrise" has me very relaxed in no time at all. My other favorite is ZZ Top's 'Rancho Texicano.' When I bought it, I had never heard the song "Brown Sugar." MAN! What a song.

Country is still the old stand-by, though. Even though much of the new stuff is closer to top 40 than country (I don't care much for Rascal Flatts, though they can really harmonize- I jokingly refer to them as a pop group with a fiddle).

I saw a remake (25th anniversary remake) of "A Country Boy Can Survive" and it reminded me of the beer drinking days when all we needed was a couple cases of beer and a Hank Jr CD! (and a quarter )

Old 11-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Gashead
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It all comes around again. If you like The Boss try listening to this.

YouTube - The Gaslight Anthem - "I'da Called You Woody, Joe"

Old 11-09-2008, 01:31 AM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like lsrx101 mentioned my musical taste and what I listen to on the radio vary quite a bit.

I have my mp3 player going about 75 percent of the time, I listen to a lot of punk, rockabilly, hellbilly, psychobilly, metal, and other good stuff they just don't play on the radio.

I use to listen to the only country station we got around here, but they switched formats a little while back and they absolutely suck now. Everything they play is like Rascal Flats and the rest of the boy band pop country whiners. Me and a handful of friends call up the station 10 or 15 times a week and request Hank Williams III, Rebel Son, Groovy Rednecks, ect ect. Figure if they get enough requests they might play something worth a damn one of these days.

For the most part now I listen to our classic hard rock station, happens to be preset 1 on the stereo in all my vehicles. Presets 2 and 3 are other classic rock stations, preset 4 is alternative rock, and 5 and 6 are oldies. I don't listen to the last 5 on the list very often. If I'm out driving at the right time I'll listen to Neal Boortz, there's also a couple programs I like Fox news radio.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:40 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I listen to a broad spectrum of tunes as well. Everything from new rock, old rock, down to jazz. To go hand in hand with the other poll about news, on my drive to or from work in the morning CNN is the sound of the moment and when the news starts to repeat, the playboy channel is the runner up. Funny how much my taste in music spanned when I began commuting an hour and a half to work and the same on the return trip.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:30 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Listen to a lot of Howard Stern on satellite. When I am tired of talk, go to Sirius Disorder that plays arguably the widest range of musical styles, and Coffeehouse, which plays a lot of softer, calmer covers of well known songs. Also like Classic rewind for 70's classic rock and The Vault for classic "B" side songs that you mostly never heard before unless you had the album.
Sundays is NPR day with CarTalk, Whattayouknow, This American life, and Prairie Home Companion.

Quick Reply: WHAT radio do I listen to?