2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 5.4 is Blown!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking My 5.4 is Blown!!!

sorry, I've been wanting to do one of those switcheroo titles for awhile now

but yeah, the RoushCharger is installed and running.

YouTube Video of the Dash while I rev the motor
YouTube Video of the motor while idling on the 1st start-up

Did the whole install with the truck parked like this

Motor went from this:

To This:

And finally:

Old 10-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

The install went fairly easy. I'm not totally happy with Roush right now though for 2 reasons.
1. The instructions were for a 2004/2005 truck. Theoretically the 06 trucks are identical...well they are except for vacuum hose routing. So that was a PITA for about 2 hours until I realized the Intercooled RoushCharger directions had the proper instructions to follow...and Roush has also upgraded the parts/peices since the 2004/2005 instructions were printed. So pictures don't match what is in your hand.

2. The Roush PCM programming is very very safely tuned...saying conservative would be a compliment IMO...I have virtually no boost down low. Half the time the Boost Bypass doesn't even shut until 2,000 rpm. At first I thought there was something wrong with the thing. After talking to some people, I have been informed that this is normal and can be cured by custom tuning to have the Boost Bypass close sooner...instead of at what is effectively Full Throttle.

I love SuperCharger whine. That stuff is freaking wicked. The motor putt putts around on the OEM power at light throttle. You cannot even hear the S/C'er operating.

Nail the throttle though and a little demon under the hood starts to scream. You can sorta hear it in my Inst. Cluster video.

I was going to the parts store today and ran across an SRT-8 Charger who was messing around from light to light. He was doing those jackrabbit jumps from idle to full throttle to about 40 mph. He wasn't a very happy camper when my huge truck was keeping withing 3-4 car lenghts of him...I think he finally heard the S/C'er whining though and realized something was up.

I'll try to post up in-cab videos later. There aren't many places I can open her up and let it all hang loose.

later

Old 10-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

oh yeah, got it from Roush Overstock on eBay for $2,400 + $350 shipping to Hawaii...I believe it's $60 shipping in the Lower 48.

some of you might remember the seller. he had and still has all of the Roush Grilles for under $100

Andy Comps from over at Roush
ajcomp@roushind.com

Old 10-16-2008, 10:35 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw your pics on both forums! lol

Kudos for installing it yourself.

But I don't know, it sounds like you have to really floor it to get some real power out of it? Doesn't sound very practical for everyday driving considering the cost of it, and when trying (at least some of us) to keep the revs under 2000 rpm in order to be more fuel efficient. It's not like you can go around flooring it all the time on the public streets. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your description of the power of it?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 PM
AA702
Senior User
So that is the non intercooled version? What do you think you are getting to the wheels? 50 HP over stock? I say that because it has a conservative tune. Can you intercool it?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:53 PM
boots6868
Elder User
good going tylus! ive been watching your posts for quite awhile now. when i had my fx4 i always wanted to do that but 5000. was too much for this dudes budget. looks like you did a heck of job on her!! now you might just have to finally change out those old spark plugs for ford racing zero degree plugs. remember i put them on my fx4 a while back. after i bought them i relized i probably didnt need them since i wasnt pushing too much power. your prob gonna need them.

ps hows the twins doing

Old 10-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
I saw your pics on both forums! lol

Kudos for installing it yourself.

But I don't know, it sounds like you have to really floor it to get some real power out of it? Doesn't sound very practical for everyday driving considering the cost of it, and when trying (at least some of us) to keep the revs under 2000 rpm in order to be more fuel efficient. It's not like you can go around flooring it all the time on the public streets. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your description of the power of it?
you don't have to floor it to feel the extra power. but you do have to give it more gas than is really necessary IMO since the tune is so conservative....but yeah, the most fun comes with a smashed pedal

the extra power itself shows it's head at the 1/8 to 1/4 throttle positions or more. just driving around at 30 mph or so you don't even know the Supercharger is there because the Boost Bypass is open.
Originally Posted by AA702
So that is the non intercooled version? What do you think you are getting to the wheels? 50 HP over stock? I say that because it has a conservative tune. Can you intercool it?
no idea what it is getting to the ground. I can kind of guess though. Using FTE Kens truck and his dyno graphs and the Roush projected #'s.

Roush says Non-Intercooled gains 112 HP and TQ
Roush says Intercooled gains 145 HP and ??? TQ

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...no_Charts.html

Kens RoushCharger (Intercooled) put down 328 RWHP and 372 RWTQ on the stock tune. My version has ~30 less hp at the crank and I have the OEM 18" rims...so I can somewhat confidently say I've got about 290-300 RWHP and 340-350 RWTQ.

here is Kens dyno graph with stock and OEM Roush tuning together...before he custom tuned it

here is Kens dyno graph showing Stock, Roush, and then Custom Tuning. I can't make these kind of #'s without an intercooler of course, but I should be able to pull down 320-330 RWHP and 370+ RWTQ easily I believe using custom tunes. We'll see in about 4 months though.

honestly, I probably won't run a max performance tune. The truck has a godawful amount of power right now...it just needs to get off the line first. There is plenty of power to push me back into my seat when that Boost Bypass is shut. If I can just get the Boost Bypass to shut alot earlier than it currently does, I'd be 100% happy. I want a roaring tire burner off the line...no interest in going fast here

and yes, I can intercool it later...for about $3k according to Roush. I'd love it to be intercooled, but that $3k would only gain me an extra 30 HP...not worth it IMO
Originally Posted by boots6868
good going tylus! ive been watching your posts for quite awhile now. when i had my fx4 i always wanted to do that but 5000. was too much for this dudes budget. looks like you did a heck of job on her!! now you might just have to finally change out those old spark plugs for ford racing zero degree plugs. remember i put them on my fx4 a while back. after i bought them i relized i probably didnt need them since i wasnt pushing too much power. your prob gonna need them.

ps hows the twins doing
I've been wanting to get one since I discovered that Roush made one. But I'm like you. $5k is alot of money...even for 100+ hp.

after talking to Ken about the install and his recommendations, I will be going with an Autolite HT0 plug (2 heat ranges colder than OEM).

Roush sent me 8 new plugs. Motorcraft Part #SP-462 (PZT1F). Apparently these are the new style plugs that 06+ trucks get to help reduce carbon build-up. Since my truck already has them, there is no reason to do just a swap of OEM for newer OEM.

So sometime I'll pick up some of those HT0's and muster my courage for the change.

btw, the twins are doing great. one is actually starting to holler her little head off...guess it's time to feed 'em

y'all have a good night.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:27 AM
pohlmeyr
Cross-Country
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Good Job Tylus,

Can you tell us how many miles are on your truck? Also what are you using to tune the truck?

Thanks

Old 10-17-2008, 05:34 AM
f150v602
Senior User
NICE truck buddy. very nice.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:29 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm sitting here in a pool of envy... great stuff man!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Tylus I believe in the Ten Commandments but you are making it hard to keep the one about not coveting. Great stuff!

Old 10-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Matt983
Senior User
Thats freakin' Sweeeet! I'm jealous too haha
I'll be a poor college student in the spring so I don't see that upgrade happening any time soon.

P.S I like your garage parking sign too

Old 10-17-2008, 08:39 AM
BrianFX4
Senior User
Great job Tylus! Very cool!

Old 10-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
tylus...can you keep us updated on mileage vs stock mileage.....I have a really hard decision here...i could keep my 07 (which i think is the best truck i've ever owned) or I could trade it up to a Platinum 09 or 10 when they're out..... afterall i've already got 33000 miles on my truck in 1 year.....but if i'm going to keep it to 150,000 miles...i really want a supercharger

Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow man that is freakin sweet i love that supercharger whine to that thing must just haul now lol

Quick Reply: My 5.4 is Blown!!!