FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome bc4x4f250!

Our 196th chapter member.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:54 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
hey bc4X4f250 hows it going? tells us a bit about your self and your f250...

Old 10-15-2008, 08:48 PM
bc4x4f250
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do I Get To Wear A Badge?

Hey guys,

As for myself, I'm just a kid from upstate New York, who wandered far and wide - as soon as he could. Los Angeles has been home to me - on and off - for thirty years. By this time next year I expect we will be living a few degrees north of the equator. For me, L.A. is not fun anymore. As well, if I'm going to have to speak another language, I want to make sure I enjoy it.

We now live in Bell Gardens (original home of John Force), after moving from the beach in Redondo Beach. Why? Well, we're trying to save our pennies, and a small house in BG is about 1/4 the price of a large apartment in RB. Besides, we'll have our home - forever - on the ocean soon enough again.

I've come to a point in my life where I find myself expendable by any corporation. Apparently, they would prefer to hire three morons than a single well-experienced prospect. Halfway through our life, we have decided it is better to work for ourselves than hope any employer will not push us to the curb.

With al that being said, we have a great life - with a partner who puts up with my antics (she really understands most guys are just big kids). She isn't about to try and change me, nor is she ever expecting a miracle. Somehow, I lucked out (but it took me a long time to find her).

As for my truck...

I had a LandCruiser FJ60 for over two years. Poured way too much money into it, only to see the value drop (by more than half) due to fuel prices and our economy. Our plans changed, and we are not taking it south with us. So, it just sat, collecting dust. Finally, I accepted that I could not make a pig look any better than it did - and sold it.

Lucky for me, I sold it the same day I bought my Ford. I got a real nice truck for my efforts (not to mention, luck). Original. Unmolested. Just over 100K. Just like I like 'em. Now I have a rig that I can consider 100% useful. No longer do I have to figure out how I can get something somehwere.

I will not be doing very many modifications. The wheels and tires are going back to stock (I want that old Ford 4x4 look) - gray wheels with tiny hubcaps. Probably, I am going to opt for the BFG Commercial tire (in the snow/ all weather version). It might not be best for L.A. freeways, but I really like a skinny tire with an agressive tread.

Possibly, we will outfit it with a 5th-wheel hitch, and get a small RV. We'll be putting a bunch of lights on it (emergency/ fog/ driving/ spot/ clearance). Maybe put some deadening material inside, and install a stereo we can enjoy (since the stock unit sounds like music eminating from tin cans).

I will also consider a beefy bumper and winch - if I can find one for a song. Beyond all that, I doubt I will do much more. Drive it, maintain, enjoy it. Oh, it will get air horns - for the proverbial moronic L.A. drivers' attention. Hell, I may even install a P.A. and an electric horn for the truly insipid drivers.

Otherwise, we're just gonna drive it. We may end up taking it south with us. Or, drive it back east one last time, and let a fan from NY enjoy a rust-free ride.

It's all good. I appreciate becoming part of the fold. If there any plans for future meet's, let me know. If anyone needs help, let me know. I have no problem hitting the highway to help a kindred spirit.

Thanks again for the welcome,

- Wm.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking We ain't got no stinkin' badges!

It sounds like you've got a good plan, William. I understand Costa Rica is a beautiful place, and there are many ex-pats living there. Here's hoping everything works out for you toward that end.

Keep your eyes on the forum here for our next get together. We should be having a bbq meet and greet sometime in the middle of November - no date set yet.

Meanwhile, join in and post up about anything that's on your mind.

Again welcome, and thanks for joining us.

Steve