7.3 Engine build got any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:33 AM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 Engine build got any suggestions?

Hello all,

I need to tap into the knowledge of this site for my new build of my 7.3 so heres what I got.....

I have a new set of Mahle 0.030" pistons, and my crank is good with a fresh polish.

My truck is a early 99 and its use is for towing my a 8500 lb trailer combined with my gear in the box for about 10,000 lb total. I have a banks otto mind chip, air filter and full 4" exhaust as mods.

Money has to be spent as best as I can but I have built enough 2stroke motors to know that while your in there you might has well replace other items for preventitive and performace gains so I need a experienced POV on what to replace on a must have basis, but also being cautious and safe and mabey some cost-effective mods to do (stock over aftermarket) if I need to replace it anyway.

Heads/cam:
So without going into the heads at this point I need to know is there a pushrod/lifter/spring combo that everyone is using or stock, and my cam had some damage and needs to be replaced so is there a combo or cam thats better than OEM for me or a special grind?

Turbo:
Mine had a banks wheel, bearings and wheel are both toast, is it worth my while to have the seals/bearings and wheel replaced or just buy a rebuit unit and upgrade to a new aftermarket wheel?

Injectors:
I know the cylinders that had damage more than likely did some damage to the injectors of those cylinders so whats the best option here? Just to inspect the injectors is costly and the rebuild isnt cheap either, so am I better off with a whole new set and or should I go with the 100hp sets I have been hearing mixed reviews about?

Sensors:
My CPS was done under recall but is there any other sensor I should replace while the motors out or just put them back in?

Any info on anything helpful on my build is much appreciated, I really want to get this thing together and get the biggest bang for my buck, but still be solid.

Thanks,
Todd

Old 10-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Damaged cylinder will not likely cause damage to an injector. More likely the other way around but this is more of a bump than anything else.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:11 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You may want to think about a 17 degree HPOP. Early 99 was a 15 degree HPOP. New IPR or rebuild the one you have. Also, if you replace the turbo get a late 99 up so you can go to bellowed up-pipes. The donut style will eventually leak. You will also need a compatible turbo pedastel. Stock cam will do just fine. Early 99 has AB code injectors. The late 99 to 2003 AD code split shots would do you. If you go single shots you will need programming for them. Watch ebay for a new ICP sensor. There are a lot of expensive upgrades to get big power but you just want reliability while towing, right?

That's about all I can think of. I gotta get up early so am going to hit the rack.

Good Luck with the rebuild.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:05 AM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
You may want to think about a 17 degree HPOP. Early 99 was a 15 degree HPOP. New IPR or rebuild the one you have. Also, if you replace the turbo get a late 99 up so you can go to bellowed up-pipes. The donut style will eventually leak. You will also need a compatible turbo pedastel. Stock cam will do just fine. Early 99 has AB code injectors. The late 99 to 2003 AD code split shots would do you. If you go single shots you will need programming for them. Watch ebay for a new ICP sensor. There are a lot of expensive upgrades to get big power but you just want reliability while towing, right?

That's about all I can think of. I gotta get up early so am going to hit the rack.

Good Luck with the rebuild.

Well reliability is #1 but bigger power is right behind that if I can put together the proper combo. Thanks for the suggestion I will do some research on those items.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
bigger power is right behind that if I can put together the proper combo.
Tell us your power goal and we can tell you what parts to get.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:31 PM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pocket
Tell us your power goal and we can tell you what parts to get.

Its pretty simple, if I have to spend $500 on a cam/lifter setup from ford or I can spend $6-700 in a much better aftermarket piece then the choice is a no brainer for me. I dont know whats out there and even if there are bigger/better gains to be had with the aftermarket stuff so I thought people here might have run some products that might suit me well. I am not looking to snap axels, just have a better than average truck without spending insane amounts of dough (I do have 2 kids, mortgage bla bla bla)

Old 10-14-2008, 06:51 PM
suprdzlduty
New User
depending on your miles you should have the heads checked. the intake valves take a pretty good beating over time, but a good stock rebuild and some warm injectors, stage 2's and a upgraded turbo,(van, PDR, or a BB garret) and a really good tuner will get you a long way in performance and reliability. it all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.