General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got an Isuzu 4HK1TC diesel engine transmission combo in a work trade.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Cyruscosmo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got an Isuzu 4HK1TC diesel engine transmission combo in a work trade.

I am looking for some information and or parts for a 2005 Isuzu 4HK1TC engine and trans out of a GMC W4500. I have not found a wrecking yard anywhere around the Seattle area that has any of these trucks to get parts off of and the dealers are less than helpful. The truck this engine is out of was in a fire and pretty much burned everything off the top and rear. The cab was hot enough inside to melt the dash into a puddle on the floor.

Now I know what you may be thinking, it's not a Ford. Well it's not a chebby either and it was very reasonably priced. I did a bunch of welding work, which was a snap, and I got this for payment. I pulled it out of the frame so I know the condition of the truck and I have even driven the truck a time or two.

I have this engine complete with automatic transmission and parking brake, drive-line sections and all the mounting brackets. I thought about getting the frame as well but the frame had been hot enough in the fire to bake the paint off of it. Mostly where the fuel tank and wood decking of the cube van had been and the rear axle had the rubber burned off the rims too. So now I have an engine trans combo with about 45k miles on it waiting for a second chance.

What I need to make this combo work is a complete wiring diagram for the cab, which the dealers don't want to part with for this new of a truck or a wiring harness for the cab. I have no problems with wiring but still need to know what wire is for what. All of the ECM wires that were under the cab and on the frame from the rear axle forward are untouched by the fire.

I have in mind a 50 something F5/6 "Camper Special" and I am not really concerned with an original or a correct "look". I like the looks of the old trucks and have some modern parts I got in trade and would like to get the two together and see what happens. The axles I have in mind are the 2.5-ton Rockwell military axles so this rig will be a 4X4 built for whatever. Just one of those odd ideas I have rolling around in my head.

My 1959 and 1969 are both pretty much stock in looks and running gear. The 1969 has a Cummins 12 valve sitting on a pallet waiting it's turn at being rebuilt. I am still not sure which transmission the 69 will end up with as it is a 4X4. The 1959 is also a 4X4 and is in the middle of being restored and has been kept as close to stock as I can make it. The rear axle in that truck was replaced with a 9" posi by my little brother. He used to own the truck but has since passed away in a car accident and I am finishing his dream.

Cyrus

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... HELL YEAH!!! What a ride!

Old 10-13-2008, 01:07 PM
royzell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try ebay for wiring harness and parts. I occasionally see these trucks being parted out there. Try parts and accessories, or other vehicles, commercial trucks. Good luck.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:11 PM
royzell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS. Another thought. In Greater Vancouver (BC) area there are engine shops importing engines from Japan for cars and trucks. (with cars, I understand that in Japan there is a mandatory 60K engine replacement law for emission requirements). If you can find an engine replacement shop in your area doing that, they may be able to source parts as well.
For examples search the Buy and Sell site in BC.