Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

New Tundra bought by image conscious commuters...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tundra bought by image conscious commuters...

...and Toyota admits it!

Originally Posted by TheCarConnection
With Tundra sales down 60.7 percent compared to Chevy Silverado sales off only 3.9 percent
Originally Posted by TheCarConnection
In addition, many past Tundra buyers are commuters who purchase based on image and are not necessarily truck devotees. This factor, in addition to economic realities and gas prices, makes it easier for Tundra buyers to walk away from a segment they were never wedded to in the first place.
http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/bl...ll-size-sales/

Interesting how TCC tries to spin the story into refreshing and realistic sales targets.

I'm sure Ford or GM wouldn't have been cast in such a positive light.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:34 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Old 10-10-2008, 12:55 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Bad
Toyota Not Battling Domestic Pickups For Full-Size Sales - The Car Connection

Interesting how TCC tries to spin the story into refreshing and realistic sales targets.

I'm sure Ford or GM wouldn't have been cast in such a positive light.
Whether it was positive or not... at the end of the day their sales are still down over 60%

And irrespective, I do agree with their judgement. An F150 (or Silverado) buyer is more likely to be a "traditional" truck buyer.
A Tundra (and Titan for that matter) buyer is more likely to be a person coming from another segment, and more likely to return to that segment when economics have a greater influence on their purchase decision.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:17 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see plenty of jacked-up "image" Ford, Dodge and GM trucks around here. 1st generation Tundras did not appeal to that market, but the new one did, hence the big swing in sales, up and then down. I see 1st gen Tundras mostly in "fleet" trim, white, regular cab, long bed. That includes mine.

The Titan was never even built in "fleet" or business models. Nissan just wanted the big profits like everyone else.

Jim

Old 10-11-2008, 03:15 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
The only Tundras I see used as trucks are the parts delivery trucks of Toyota dealers. The rest, except for a few pulling campers, could be easily replaced by an economy car.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:55 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Not here. Landscapers, utility companies and others use them all the time for real work. What I dont understand is a SuperDuty used as a supervisor's "office" that tows only a couple of jet skis or dirt bikes on the weekend.

Jim

Old 10-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
IMG

Old 10-14-2008, 12:47 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I have to say though - have you looked at ALL the info?

The Tundra has dropped a lot less over this year than the Silverado.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:22 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Not here. Landscapers, utility companies and others use them all the time for real work. What I dont understand is a SuperDuty used as a supervisor's "office" that tows only a couple of jet skis or dirt bikes on the weekend.

Jim
But California (and a couple of neighboring states)is very different than the rest of the world.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:47 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
I've seen a few new Tundras on jobsites around KY.

Mike

Old 10-14-2008, 03:34 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
One reason businesses with fleets of trucks do not go to Toyota or other brands is that they are equipped to work on the Fords, Chevrolets or Dodges they now have. The mechanics know how to work on them, they have the tools and parts are more reasonable. If you need a part for a Ford or GM or Dodge product, there are many reasonably priced aftermarket parts quickly available but most Toyota parts are factory only, expensive and not as quickly available. The natural inclination is to stay with what you are familar with.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:53 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by osbornk
One reason businesses with fleets of trucks do not go to Toyota or other brands is that they are equipped to work on the Fords, Chevrolets or Dodges they now have. The mechanics know how to work on them, they have the tools and parts are more reasonable. If you need a part for a Ford or GM or Dodge product, there are many reasonably priced aftermarket parts quickly available but most Toyota parts are factory only, expensive and not as quickly available. The natural inclination is to stay with what you are familar with.
True, and government buys trucks from Ford, GM and Chrysler on a discounted contract. Not sure with Toyota, but I've never heard of one.

Mike

Old 10-15-2008, 01:14 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Big fleets go with either the lowest bidder (Dodge usually winning those contracts lately) or like osbornk stated, based on fleet commonality, in other words, brand loyalty. I see very little of that brand loyalty out here. Dodge seems to also be taking the police car business away from Ford, probably on bid price.

When a small business buys one or two, they usually go to the dealer for service. You do not have your own shop, mechanic and a stock of parts.

Jim

Old 10-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Dodge seems to also be taking the police car business away from Ford, probably on bid price.
It is also probably because the Charger is a MUCH better police car for the money.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by Monsta
It is also probably because the Charger is a MUCH better police car for the money.
IF it can take the abuse that a CV can, something I find highly unlikely.

Quick Reply: New Tundra bought by image conscious commuters...