Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator
Reload this Page >

4 4x4 Turning Problems Lincoln Navigator 2000

Notices
1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Old 10-09-2008, 01:13 PM
orange_x_crush
New User
orange_x_crush is starting off with a positive reputation.

Alright. Here's the deal. I have a 4x4 Navigator (02). When I put it in 4 wheel, the Navigator doesn't want to turn left. The left driver side tire is wearing down pretty quick. I don't have it in 4 wheel often and about once a month I run a quarter mile just to lube everything. When I make sharp left turns, it feels like the all wheel wants to kick on. I haven't gotten to really check everything out yet, and if I did I don't know what to look for. So 4x4 no left turn, 4x2 all wheel kicks on. Any advice will help a ton.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:14 PM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Do the tires all match, are they all at the correct PSI?
Have you tried rotating the tires front to back?

Old 10-09-2008, 10:08 PM
orange_x_crush
New User
All the tires are the same brand, Firestone Destinations, all proper psi, and only 8,000 miles old. The Front Driver side is almost 1/2 tread. I know I need to rotate the tires. But it shouldn't wear that quick and its the only tire.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:19 AM
orange_x_crush
New User
Well I checked a little further. Both of my front tires are worn. Took a tire tread gauge, and not looking good. From what I can figure out, would it be the transfer case motor screwed up? The 4x4 light is not on, but I feel the front end pull, and grind, around corners. How hard would it be to change out that tc motor? I'm in the middle of moving right now and I accidently packed my chiltons and haynes. Any help?

Old 11-06-2008, 03:08 AM
orange_x_crush
New User
Ok, I replaced the transfer case motor, small pain in the ***. Rotated the tires and aired them up, only about 2 lbs shy. Now the tread on the front tires are getting horizontal scratches and still feels like the four wheel kicks in around turns. But my gas mileage has gone up fron 15.5 to 17.5+. Whats the deal?

Old 11-06-2008, 03:44 PM
pdqford
Postmaster
pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.
Re-read your owner's manual - I don't believe you should lock it in 4-wheel drive on solid surfaces as all four wheels will try to rotate at the exact same speed. If you deviate the s-l-i-g-h-t-e-s-t amount from a perfectly straight line on a solid surface the drive train will try to bind up as the wheels will want to rotate at different speeds and they can't when locked in 4-wheel-drive. (If you are on a slippery or soft surface the wheels will be able to slid/slip and that will keep the drivetrain from binding up.)

Old 11-07-2008, 09:23 AM
orange_x_crush
New User
I try just to run 4x4 every month for just 1/10 to 1/4 mile just to lube everything up. I realized my mistake on turning on dry pavement. I also wanted to change the oil in the transfer case. My manual(Chilton and Haynes) is in storage because I'm moving. What is the easiest way to change it? Is the oil tied into the auto transmission or separate? When I changed out the transfer case motor, I can shift from 4hi, 4lo, and a4wd just fine. Before I could lock 4lo and didn't want to pop out. My gas mileage went up to over 17.5 -19 on the highway when I changed out the transfer case motor. Now it dropped to 16.5. I read more on different threads, and now I'm concerned about the oil. I have 108k and I know the fluids should get changed.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:56 AM
pdqford
Postmaster
pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by orange_x_crush View Post
I also wanted to change the oil in the transfer case. My manual(Chilton and Haynes) is in storage because I'm moving. What is the easiest way to change it?
Drain old fluid. Refill with specified fluid.

Is the oil tied into the auto transmission or separate?
I believe they are separate.

My gas mileage went up to over 17.5 -19 on the highway when I changed out the transfer case motor. Now it dropped to 16.5.
As far as mileage is concerned, there is so much variation from one tankfull to the next that I average four or five tankfulls to get an idea of what the fuel mileage is. As far as the overhead MPG read out goes, mine appears to vary about + or - 10% from figuring out the mileage with pencil and paper.

The transfer case motor should have minimal if any effect on your fuel mileage mileage, as all the same parts are rotating, irregardless if you are in 4WD or A4WD. When in 4WD the clutch in the transfer case just locks the front and rear driveshafts together, while in A4WD they are locked automatically as required, but all the parts in the front drivetrain are still rotating.