Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Another new article on the 6.7L... With a sneak peak under the hood...

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 10-09-2008, 08:21 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
PowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to behold

The picture does not show much, but does answer the question of the taller hood...

PickupTrucks.com: Caught! Underhood Pic of Ford's 6.7-liter Scorpion Diesel V-8

Old 10-09-2008, 03:23 PM
6LPSD
Senior User
6LPSD is starting off with a positive reputation.
it probably has the bigger radiator to compensate for the larger engine, higher engine op temps and more aggressive egr usage in the engine. wonder how many egrs it will have 3,4,5 anyone's guess now along with dpf,diesel oxidation unit, horse pi** injection (or should i say urea injection??) the epa is putting a strangle hold on these things, the engines price will probably be another 2-4 grand on top of the 6.4 price now.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:43 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
PowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 6LPSD View Post
it probably has the bigger radiator to compensate for the larger engine, higher engine op temps and more aggressive egr usage in the engine. wonder how many egrs it will have 3,4,5 anyone's guess now along with dpf,diesel oxidation unit, horse pi** injection (or should i say urea injection??) the epa is putting a strangle hold on these things, the engines price will probably be another 2-4 grand on top of the 6.4 price now.
Due to the addition of SCR (horse pi** injection as you call it), it is expected significantly to reduce the amount of exhaust gases that are recirculated back into the system...

Old 10-09-2008, 07:04 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
rob_nc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD View Post
Due to the addition of SCR (horse pi** injection as you call it), it is expected significantly to reduce the amount of exhaust gases that are recirculated back into the system...
Exactly!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:39 PM
2003 6.0
Senior User
2003 6.0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wish I had a six speed transmission.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Carl Lassiter
Senior User
Carl Lassiter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice find. A radiator that is 50% bigger than the 6.0s is huge and looking at the 6.4s radiators it's clear that raising the hood was the only way to squeeze in more.

The 6-speed will really help and will the main thing behind the claimed 3mpg improvement, though they didn't mention that that would be highway.

However, none of this is enough to make me wait as the 6.4L and 5-speed Torqshift have proven to be rugged. First year for the Scorpion is for the brave, but maybe it'll go smoothly.

Finally, seems like Ford are deep into the power battle. In which case, expect the finished product to produce 10bhp more than the 390bhp quoted in the article

Old 10-10-2008, 09:24 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
c00nhunterjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.c00nhunterjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.c00nhunterjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.
they are testing at much higher levels then that........... those numbers are what they will de-tune it to for emmisions and reliability

Old 10-16-2008, 02:50 PM
97squarebody
Senior User
97squarebody is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 2003 6.0 View Post
I wish I had a six speed transmission.
People are forgetting that you can get both a six speed and the fuel mileage increase right now.

Get the stick shift.....

Old 10-16-2008, 04:13 PM
farmerrig
Junior User
farmerrig is starting off with a positive reputation.
it looks like it's tilted backwards..... were did they get the room for that?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:48 PM
PHXDiesel
Senior User
PHXDiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Something is fishy about that picture. The radiator is at an angle that doesn't look like it would allow for much else. If you look at the many radiators crammed in the 6.4's, there would be no room for those in the nose of this truck. Not to mention the lack of space for the engine. Something just isn't right here.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:48 PM
MT765
New User
MT765 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is my first post here, I'm coming over from The Diesel Stop. The more I looked at this picture, I noticed it looks a lot like the V10. The airbox looks the same, and the radiator looks almost identical. Look at a picture of a 2008 V10, then look at the spy photo, they look pretty close to me.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:24 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru
farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD View Post
Something doesn't seem right to me. The "effort" to reduce exhaust emissions is resulting in the engines getting worse fuel mileage and now having to add fertilizer, which costs money to produce as well put in your truck, to keep it all clean.
I wonder if anyone has ever heard about diminishing returns. Yea, we are getting cleaner exhaust, but how much more is being produced since we have to put more fuel in the trucks and to produce and transort urea that will now have to be added?? Can someone explain it, because it's not making any sense to me.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:55 PM
herman391
Posting Guru
herman391 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.herman391 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by farmerrig View Post
it looks like it's tilted backwards..... were did they get the room for that?
I was thinking the same thing, unless they made the engine compartment longer? Which I doubt. Or maybe they are using some sort of funky radiator thats angled? (Is that even possible)

Old 11-18-2008, 08:39 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster
rollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud of
the current rads are tilted back as well, looks to me to be on the same angle even but that one is just longer

Old 11-26-2008, 11:08 PM
mnmwhit
Elder User
mnmwhit is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
that would be kewl in an Exedition.....I was hoping for the 4.4 to come out and go in an Expy but this engine would be a real hero

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another new article on the 6.7L... With a sneak peak under the hood...

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: