1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Y block motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:17 PM
taycotrains
Mountain Pass
Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts
Y block motor oil

Hello
Can anyone recommend what oil to use in
a 292 motor ? Brand ? WT ?
Thanks
BT

Old 10-07-2008, 09:51 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Delo 400 15W/40 fleet oil. Good stuff. Most of the top rebuilders are recommending it because apparently, typical oils are become less and less "slippery". For a good old motor like these, you need a good oil, and Delo is used and recommended by most all of the manufacturers of the big diesel engines too. In fact, some won't even honor a warrantee if delo or an equivelant is not used.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:01 PM
taycotrains
Mountain Pass
Thank you...I read something in Hemmings or some publication that 15W/40 is
now recommended.I have gallons and gallons of Rotella 15W/40 that I keep on hand for my 2005 6.0 diesel so I am going to start using it in my 56 F-100 too.

Thanks again
BT

Old 10-07-2008, 10:08 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Perfect. That's the stuff. Rotella, Delo, it's what they say to put in the severe service diesels, and so you know it'll be more than good enough for an old Y-block. BTW, I quit using the Fram oil filters too that are oh so popular, after Cummins (I think it was Cummins, unless it was Ford on the PSD) that say the Fram will starve the engine for oil.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:53 PM
4x4 Bart
Fleet Mechanic
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
The filter,when it stops up, may not pass filtered oil fast enough to supply all the oil an engine demands. This is why there is a by-pass valve made into modern engines. It supplies oil directly to the engine if the oil pump can't push it through the filter. So an engine should not starve because of a filter.
The best way to learn about what is the best filter, is to cut used ones apart and examine how they are made and how well they filtered,how many folds they have. Hold the paper up to the light and see how well it held up. Fram makes a pretty good filter. Wix gold is the best by far and has the best constructed, but has a high cost. You get what you pay for.
Oil companies had complaints from the automakers and have changed their motor oil formulas because the additives were coating the insides of catalytic converters (this coating was part of the lubrication) reducing their efficiency. They did not change the additives in diesel oils. We need to use the diesel formulas in older engines that do not have converters for better lubrication. IMO

Old 10-07-2008, 11:23 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
By-pass valve is set to a pressure. If the level is not low enough to go through the by-pass valve, it will not open it, since they are spring loaded, but the flow could still be low enough to create a starving, or lack of lubrication scenario. I believe the situation was not so much a bottom end starvation, but more of a top end lack of sufficient lubrication. I'll try to find the TSB info on it, but can't remember which diesel motor it was, but I know that the thing boiled down to the use of Fram oil filters on that motor would void the warrantee offered by the engine manufacturer due to an oil starvation/restriction problem, causing premature engine internals failure. So, back to the point. Rotella and Delo, or their equivelants are the best option (according to the experts) for use in older, and severe service engines.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:08 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
You can get Shell Rotella 15W40 at Walmart and Schucks Auto supply. (you got one of those in E OR?)

Schucks will match or beat Walmarts price.

I use Baldwin filters in everything I own. I buy them by the case.

Baldwin Filters Heavy Duty Filtration Products | Lube Filters, Air Filters, Fuel Filters, Hydraulic Filters, Coolant Filters, Cabin Air Filters and Automotive Filters

They have filters for everything on the planet.

By the way their website tells the whole story. They are are not simply a company that assembles filters from somewhere else or rebox/repaint frams like so many other names sold at your autoparts store. (in fact you might be buying a Baldwin filter and not even know it. I wouldn't be surprised if they are an OEM supplier)

Old 10-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
YOu guys are probably going to roll the eyes over but I swear by the Frantz Oil Cleaner. I've had one in every vehicle I have owned and they are the greatest.

They're getting expensive - about $200 new. But you'll find one at the car swap meet from time to time or about once a year on e-bay.

We Filter It! - Products

I also run an oil cooler - that helps quite a bit with oil efficiency as well.

Good Luck

Julie!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:02 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody worries about cleaning out an old yblock with detergeant (sp) oil like rotella or delo or any new oil as compared to the old non-det. oils of old?
My brother really messed up our old 56 back in 1972 with det. oil in the truck after having non-det. for so long. Dad dropped the pan and did alot of work to get it to run again.....if I remember that far back--haha
I just got a 53 with the 223 and put rotella in it---hope no problem! Bill

Old 10-08-2008, 10:23 PM
taycotrains
Mountain Pass
Thanks again guys !
Lots of good info here !
I am gonna like this place.
BT

Old 10-08-2008, 11:18 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
TSB from Dodge. 94-01 Diesels. Fram oilf filters have disintegrated inside their canisters, and have dislodged parts of their neoprene make up. This failure in Fram filters has caused engine failure in the 94-2001 MY R2500/3500 Cummins trucks. Use of these filters will void the factory warrantee, and you will have to file suit against Fram in order to get the repair cost reimbursed. So, I will not use a Fram filter on any of my vehicles after i heard of that. I will not use a Wix (which is also on the do not use list for internal disintigration occurances). These filters will likely work fine on our old Y blocks with out trouble, but i will never buy one again, and have not used either in the last few years (since i found out about the kill a motor problem they cause). Use the Rotella or Delo oil.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:39 AM
scrape
Senior User
hey guys, walford made a good point, diesels r much higher in detergents, if u use these oils in older engines as apposed to a fresh build, u can suffer failure caused by the contaminants loosened by deisel type oils, i lost an engine years ago through the same thing
cya
gary

Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Hey scrape---remember that 55 F100 turquoise and is my neighbors for sale? He lowered price to 9,000 bucks . Thought I would notify you about it!!
Thanks---I am always worried that the new oils will clean out the yblock or 223 and harm it!! I wonder who else have had this happen,and how do you keep it from happening? Bill

Old 10-09-2008, 10:16 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Just a update on Rotella T oil. This oil is no longer safe for use in Y block engines or any other flat tappet engines. The Rotella oil now lists it as being converter safe with the word "emissions" on the front. This is on the 15w-40 diesel. The zinc has been removed to make it emissions friendly, but that doesnt help us.

You MUST use a zinc additive with rotella oils now.

Kevin Bigwin

Old 10-09-2008, 11:37 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by scrape
hey guys, walford made a good point, diesels r much higher in detergents, if u use these oils in older engines as apposed to a fresh build, u can suffer failure caused by the contaminants loosened by deisel type oils, i lost an engine years ago through the same thing
cya
gary

Uh...here's what he said.

Nobody worries about cleaning out an old yblock with detergeant (sp) oil like rotella or delo or any new oil as compared to the old non-det. oils of old?
Diesel oils don't necessarily have higher detergents than non-diesel oils. They do have Dispersants that are specifically designed to keep the soot that is produced in a diesel combustion chamber (that subsequently gets past the rings via blowby) in suspension. That doesn't make them more detergent than any modern gasoline engine oil.

ALL modern oils are "detergent" oils. API SA oil is the only oil available that's non detergent nowadays. I would only run that in my waste oil furnace.....or maybe use it as chain lube on a chain saw.... I wouldn't put it in any engine that I own for any reason.

By the way, Kevin is right. You do not want to use API CJ-4 oil in your Y.

Stock up on 15W40 CI-4 or earlier oils if you want the higher levels of zddp.

Cheers,

Rick

Quick Reply: Y block motor oil