How to process rough oil???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:36 AM
Catsailor
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to process rough oil???

Hi,

New to BD and am working with a friend who has done about 12 batches and is getting good results. However, we were given some old oil that titrates at about 7.5+, probably has pretty much water in it, smell absolutely horrible, etc. We've heated a couple of times and have been letting it sit for a couple of weeks now - also have been adding bits of good oil, pump diesel, etc. to try to help it out some - but allas it is still not great. We are wondering if / how to make good fuel out of it. Any suggestions? We are using KOH and water washing. Please let me know if I need to provide more info as I am new to this whole thing.

Thanks
Tom

Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Catsailor
Senior User
I just found a previous post on this subject and will take the info to my neighbor to see if we can move ahead with the batch - we have 30 gals of that oil so we really don't want to waste it. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Tom

Old 10-06-2008, 08:47 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm working on a WVO cooking tank, with a WVO heater for it.

I have a pump that will constantly circulate the WVO through the filter.

I have always used news paper for filtering. Not sure what micron it is, but has never failed me.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:02 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
oil that titrates that high generaly will get less acidic if you filter it down really well. also if you put that stuff in your processor and mix about 10% by volume of good fresh glycerol for about 30 minutes and then let the glycerol settle out and drain it this will tend to drop your titrant # a couple of points. then just process as usual. however if you,ve mixed petro diesel in the batch I don't know how that'll turn out.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:21 AM
orng1
Postmaster
Bad smell means there is bacteria gorwing because there is water. You need to heat the oil for a while until you don't hear the water boiling anymore. It will need to be filtered quit a bit also as the bacteria will be small black dots after you've cooked the oil. It clogs up the filters quick so I use some buckets and metal screens as they can be cleaned or rinsed off easily. After you do that then it's much easier to process. The PH will be a lot better and easier to get a good batch.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MAKO314
oil that titrates that high generaly will get less acidic if you filter it down really well. also if you put that stuff in your processor and mix about 10% by volume of good fresh glycerol for about 30 minutes and then let the glycerol settle out and drain it this will tend to drop your titrant # a couple of points. then just process as usual. however if you,ve mixed petro diesel in the batch I don't know how that'll turn out.
thanks for the "how to", sometimes that oil that we run into titrates a little high. will keep this in mind.