Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

Local drag strips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:47 PM
jseim44
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local drag strips?

Well guys, my brother and cousin convinced me that I need to start running Ol Blue in the 1/4 mile and see what it'll do. (It didn't take much to convince me). So anyway, I'm looking for tracks. I know there is one in Kearney. I got on their website but didn't really find much out. I'm not really looking to get serious and compete all the time, I just want to find out what it will do and make adjustments accordingly. Anyway, if anyone has a good track near by or knows anything about it.....POST UP!!!! (Even if you don't, do it anyway!!!)

-Jake

Old 07-30-2008, 07:40 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
There is the track at Scribner, the Nebraska Motorplex. I used to race here in high school. Here is the link to their site Jake:

Nebraska Motorplex

Other than that, I'm not sure of any more drag strips.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:05 PM
jseim44
Posting Guru
The page for the track at Scribner is alot more informative than KRP's site. I didn't know if any of the guys local to the Kearney area knew anything about it (AHEM.....George....Anthony.....). Scribner may be a possibility, but that's along way to haul my junk......

-Jake

Old 08-18-2008, 09:25 AM
sandman3510
Senior User
FYI, Scribner is shut down. Long story short, the track owner wanted the county to pave the 2-3 miles of gravel road to the track, in turn the county wanted the owner to sign a 5 year lease (not sure of the time frame, but it was at least a couple years) and the owner said no. So he shut the place down. Sucks too, that was a nice facility.

Anyway, there's an 1/8th mile track in Manhattan Kansas, and an 1/8th mile track in Glenwood Iowa (across the river from Papillion I think). Glenwood also has a road course, maybe you could throw Ol Blue around the corners?? heehee...j/k. Glenwood's website is www.midamericamotorplex.com.

Hope this helps. Let us know how she runs. I'm guessing a traction-limited 16.50 .

Old 08-18-2008, 11:05 AM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
Ya Scribner has been shut down. Apparently the owner Greg Sanford is looking to build a brand new facility somehwere in the area. Obviously he is just an investor type thats only concerned about making money and doesnt give a rats a$$ about racing. Ive spent about the last hour reading up on whats been going on. From what Ive read he still owns the Scribner drag strip but I havent figured out if its actually for sale or whats going on with it. Id like to know what he wants for it...just out of curiosity. I doubt it would be any kind of money maker but Im sure there are a lot of racers out there who would just like to have a decent place to go. If anyone knows if its for sale and what they want for it let me know.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:17 AM
sandman3510
Senior User
Yeah, I used to race there all the time in high school (took 2nd place in the track championship ). It was a nice facility, smooth strip, great starting line, plenty of parking and what-not.

Anyway sorry to hi-jack the thread a little, don't forget about Topeka, but that's quite a jaunt.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:26 PM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
It looks like in 2006 someone broke into the Scribner track and burned down the tower and concession stand building. Sanford shut down the track and within a year the buildings were burned to the ground. What a coincidence huh? It looks like someone doesnt want the track to ever open again.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:33 PM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
Double post. FTE is acting goofy today.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:47 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Oh man! That sucks about Scribner! I raced my Mustang out there a few times. Maybe someone will step up and buy it, or maybe build one closer to Omaha. Scribner is kind of way out by itself.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:52 AM
jseim44
Posting Guru
Still no more info about this? I'd honestly forgotten about this, but I was really hoping our Kearney area boys would post up with some info. I'd really like to know what the ol girl will run.....and you never know.....the Dudge might find it's way out there as well......I know you boys want me to post up a time slip of that so you can poke fun at me.....

-Jake

Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
yes Kearney is a pretty good place to do it legally....i usually go there during the week of cruise night to watch the old cars haul a$$ down the track... I am not sure if KRP is open still...i think that they just run on Sundays through August

Old 09-22-2008, 09:51 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
try this, I hope this helps. Its located on highway 30 just east of Cabelas on the north side of the highway about 3/4 mile
http://www.krpi.com/

Old 09-22-2008, 09:57 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
or else we used to race just south of central community college in Hastings or else just straight north of Hasting's bowling alley on that concrete paved road...both had mysterious white marks, starting point and the checkered finish line, you gotta thank the Nebraska State Road Departments for that Im sure

Old 09-22-2008, 09:59 PM
jseim44
Posting Guru
Yes, no doubt....I'm familar with both roads. The Dudge has been rumored to hit 110 south of the college.......apparently the driver didn't have the kahunas to stay in it much longer

The biggest thing with blue is I'd like to get a timeslip.....so I can say that my 4800lb bucket of bolts and rust will run a XX.X in the 1/4 (I'm guessing low to mid 14's)

-Jake

Old 09-22-2008, 10:06 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
well if you go about to the second intersection south of tech and you head east about 35 yards there WAS a start line and it was layed out there for 1/4 mile. I used to race my Mustang GT there and my buddy used to race his Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 over there alot among a whole bunch of other cars all of the time. Cops got in the way after somebody ratted on us. we gave it time and then kept going back

Quick Reply: Local drag strips?