Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket/remanufactured vs OEM/Ford Motorcraft

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 10:23 PM
SoaDMTGguy
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket/remanufactured vs OEM/Ford Motorcraft

My main maintenance assistant/advisor is a friend who worked as a Ford dealership mechanic for 20 years. He always recommends Ford OEM parts, which makes sense, but of course he has bias of always using factory parts at work.

So I wanted to get your opinion: Should I always spend the extra money to get an original new Ford part, or is it acceptable to substitute aftermarket/remanufactured parts?

Old 02-17-2021, 11:18 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
If you like parts of questionable quality go to a parts house. It's hard to beat using Motorcraft parts, good warranty and they are the same quality as the original. When you consider how long some of the original parts have lasted the choice for a known replacement is easy. This isn't just exclusive to Ford it can be applied to almost all one's in terms of using OE parts.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:35 PM
Drunkinmist
Cross-Country
Funny i was just thinking the same thing as i am in the market for a new water pump, 200K on the truck and i have no idea its condition. I have most of the truck tore apart right now due to the idler pulley snapping off after a little 4x4 in the snow.
But Motorcraft are Chinese parts granted they are built to Ford spec.
Is Ford really spending R&D into a water pump or is it outsourced to a part maker who is selling the same part under their flag?
same thing goes for other parts they are making.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:10 AM
sevensecondsuv
Tuned
Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
A few years ago Motorcraft started offering multiple "levels" of common service parts (brake rotors are an example) in an effort to compete with the aftermarket for more market share. I think the cheaper stuff is called "service grade". While it's probably as good as the similarly priced aftermarket stuff (it's actually probably the same thing in a different box), it's certainly not the same thing as OEM Motorcraft.

So keep in mind that just because something comes in a Motorcraft box doesn't actually mean it's an OEM part. Yes some Motorcraft-branded stuff is the same OEM part, but you have to do the research. If it's as cheap as aftermarket parts, there's probably a reason.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:23 PM
SoaDMTGguy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Drunkinmist
But Motorcraft are Chinese parts granted they are built to Ford spec.
It is my understand that, at least today, China is capable of manufacturing parts to any quality level, it's all down to the ordering company to request the appropriate spec, and QA the product to make sure the company isn't cutting corners. Certainly with tools, there is good Chinese and cheap Chinese.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:25 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
I use motorcraft as much as I can but I do make exceptions when the Motorcraft part is outrageously priced.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:32 PM
SoaDMTGguy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by GNR22
I use motorcraft as much as I can but I do make exceptions when the Motorcraft part is outrageously priced.
This. I just put in a remanufactured solenoid pack because it was $125 and a Motorcraft part was $400. Then I saw another thread on here where someone put in an new aftermarket IAC valve, and still experienced problems, so he put in a new Motorcraft IAC valve and it fixed it. My reman'd solenoid didn't fix my problem, and I'm currently chasing shorts in the wiring harness, but now I'm second guessing if the reman'd solenoid even works correctly.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:56 PM
EQCMCAT
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Remember the two separate collapsed crane accidents, one in New York city and the other in Florida about a decade ago where there were deaths involved. The OSHA investigation concluded both crane manufactured outsourced the steel major structural components that were manufactured in China did not have the testing to determine tensile strength and QC to ensure manufacturing to applicable ADSM standards. Why did the crane manufacture opt to use imported steel, a cost saving measure. It's understandable business is in business to make a profit, not to provide jobs. But in my opinion greed has ensued within business lines for those that want to stay profitable and in business, especially since the early 80s when global market began opening up .

Old 02-18-2021, 04:01 PM
SoaDMTGguy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by EQCMCAT
Remember the two separate collapsed crane accidents, one in New York city and the other in Florida about a decade ago where there were deaths involved. The OSHA investigation concluded both crane manufactured outsourced the steel major structural components that were manufactured in China did not have the testing to determine tensile strength and QC to ensure manufacturing to applicable ADSM standards. Why did the crane manufacture opt to use imported steel, a cost saving measure. It's understandable business is in business to make a profit, not to provide jobs. But in my opinion greed has ensued within business lines for those that want to stay profitable and in business, especially since the early 80s when global market began opening up .
Ultimately you have to QC everything you use yourself. It shouldn’t matter where, or how cheaply, you can have something made, as long as it passes your QC. If you can’t pay for you’re own QC, you’ve cut costs too far.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:46 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 605 Likes on 544 Posts
I have found that the MC parts sourced from Mexico are decent quality.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:04 PM
ZombieF150
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
i buy what I can afFORD at the time. I have bought replacement parts from FoMoCo and some aftermarket, mixed results.... Bought a Dorman column shift tube for the Zombie.. original lasted almost 30 years... the Dorman replacement was half the price and if it lasts 15 yrs.. good enough.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:50 AM
SFaulken
Cargo Master
Received 610 Likes on 484 Posts
Yeah, I won't buy anything with Dorman's name on it, unless I have no other option. Same goes for Omix-Ada when it comes to Jeep stuff. Just been burnt too many times on their absolutely deporable Quality Control.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:23 AM
Ian Campbell
4wd Low
Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy
My main maintenance assistant/advisor is a friend who worked as a Ford dealership mechanic for 20 years. He always recommends Ford OEM parts, which makes sense, but of course he has bias of always using factory parts at work.

So I wanted to get your opinion: Should I always spend the extra money to get an original new Ford part, or is it acceptable to substitute aftermarket/remanufactured parts?
I just recently replaced my IAC with an aftermarket IAC and it made my problem worse. Ordered a Motorcraft IAC and it solved my problem. Truck runs great. Nothing but Motorcraft for my truck

Old 02-20-2021, 02:17 PM
Smokerr
New User
If a Chinese part is speed or even part of an mfg suppl chain its going to be good.

Buying non spec parts can be an issue or not.

Some years back I had axles going on a FWD VW. Suddenly my wife decides to make a 600 miles round trip. Ergh. VW axles were like $750, Chinese that the VW Group said were **** were like $250. Trying to consolidate this, I went with the Chinese and ordered some after market axles that guaranteed rebuild and an outstanding rep in doing so (they will send you the replacement axle and a label to send the old one back so you do't get your originals). Cool.

The Chinese axles lasted a full lifetime and only hinted at breaking down at the same miles that the original axles were gone.

If its a US name brand you can Trust Rabestus and the like. Flip is if its not a US brand then no.

I would not put anything electrical in a car that was not OEM, the damage a buggy part can do is not worth it.

NAPA carries some real **** and some real good stuff and its hard to stay up with it. When in doubt go with OEM

Old 02-20-2021, 02:36 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by spurredon
I have found that the MC parts sourced from Mexico are decent quality.
I have had the same experience and agree with you. Sandy

Quick Reply: Aftermarket/remanufactured vs OEM/Ford Motorcraft