1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing parking/backup sensors

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Milwaukee,WI
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing parking/backup sensors

How easy is it to replace the back-up parking sensor? Looks like its just an easy plug connection to remove the wire, but how do you remove the sensor? Does it rotate and remove? Snap in/out?

Old 09-25-2008, 11:32 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
easiest with the bumper off, they do clip out but can be difficult and may break, luckily you are replacing them anyways so that doesn't really matter to much so i would just go ahead and break it to make it easier then pound out the center portion of the sensor.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Milwaukee,WI
Tuned
Looking at the replacement part, its only the center portion. Does the outside assembly come off with it or do you just remove the center cylinder?

Old 09-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Milwaukee,WI
Tuned
just an update to my own post.

Ordered 4 replacement sensors online (From ebay) sherrodsurplus for 8 bucks a piece. (dealer wanted $140-ish EACH) I got 4 for 32 bucks plus 6 bucks shipping. (I figured I only had one bad sensor, but at 8 bucks each I figured i might as well pick up some spares)

The sensors are a piece of cake to replace. My backup sensors stopped working. They got flakey first, started beeping/chirping, and then the dash button would just say "off".

I took one new sensor and began trial and error replacing each one.

The old sensors are easy to remove and no tools are required (though perhaps a precision screwdriver might help lift the flexible plastic tabs. There is a flexible plastic tab on the top and a flexible tab on the bottom of the sensor holder (on the inside).

Easiest way to remove is just flip the tabs up as you push from the outside of the bumper on the center of the sensor pushing backwards. If you apply a little pressure to the outside center of the sensor as you gently lift both the top and bottom tab, they'll slide right out.

There's probably dirt and grime caked in there, so they kinda grind out a little as they come out.

Then there is one more tab to lift to remove the electrical connection from the sensor.

So I began trial and error replacing each one. Started with the drivers side outside sensor. After replacing I'd get in the truck turn it on and put it in reverse and see if the "off" light went out on the dash. If it didn't, I'd assume that wasn't the bad sensor and use the sensor I just removed to test the next sensor.

Turns out it was the outside sensor on the passenger side.

I also noticed that of the 4 sensors on the bumper, the outside sensors were much dirtier and harder to get out. I suspect its because of their location directly behind the wheels that they are in the direct path of spray from the rear tires. I also suspect that they have a propensity to go bad quicker because of their location in the spray of road grime/salt etc.

My advice to anyone replacing sensors would be to try both outside sensors first. Likely they are the culprits. The 2 inside sensors were very clean.

In addition, NO need to remove the bumper. The sensors are very very easy to access simply by laying under the bumper looking at the inside.

The dealership wanted $140 bucks for ONE sensors and $80 labor to install.

Very very easy to do yourself. If anyone has problems with their backup reverse sensors malfunctioning don't hesitate to try this repair yourself and save the $200 bucks at the dealer.

Feel free to contact me with any questions!

Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 PM
dfooch
Senior User
Great post on the sensors. Very good to know. I have been having sporatic problems with the rear sensors, but have an extended warranty that I hope will resolve the problem. If not, I will do it myself. Based on your assessment of why the outside sensors failed, do you think it is possible to fabricate something to protect those outside sensors from the rear wheel spray? I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Also, if you have to replace another sensor, see if you can post some pics on the procedure.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Milwaukee,WI
Tuned
I'll definitely take some pictures.

As far as protecting those sensors. To be honest, I think duct tape or black electrical tape wrapped around the back-side to kinda cover the sensor itself and the plastic holder would probably do the trick.

I would say you could spray some of that aerosol under-coating back there, from the inside which I think would keep the grime out, but then that would also make them difficult to remove (if you did have to remove them in the future) with the tabs caked with under-coating.