General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Does this site have a "Hauling Board"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this site have a "Hauling Board"?

Some of the antique tractor sites have a "Hauling Board" where members can post their hauling needs and anyone that can help can contact them to work out the details.

EX.: "I'm dead heading from Dallas to New York, with a 16' trailer, October 24th. Can haul up to 1000 lbs. for $1 per mile."

or,.... "I need to have a LWB F-250 hauled from Chicago to Memphis."

Has anything like this been discussed here before? Is it here and am I over looking it?

With shipping prices getting higher everyday, this can be a good way for good folks to help move odd items across the country.

Mitch

Old 09-25-2008, 12:13 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think it would be cool, but there's people here who would jump all over making sure you had the propper registration, ins, cdl...blah blah blah.

I've read the board at yesterdaystractors in the past

Old 09-25-2008, 12:47 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thats one of those touchy things like Jake said. especially the offering to haul for hire. Hauling for hire requires lic, permits, taxes paid and a lot of insurance. well most of that is money going to the government and believe me they want to be sure they get their share. Now what if you did that and got caught somewhere? now the law enforcment has proof of you hauling for hire and they can impound your vehicle and your load for doing it illegally.

Yes other boards have it, but I would think that the board themselves could possibly also have some liability if it was public like that and I am pretty sure that would not be a good thing.

BTW thats personal opinion and NOT FTE speaking. I am not the official spokesman on this.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good points. I'm sure it would work fine in a perfect world, but the liability issue MUST be considered I guess. Could the loop hole be setting it up as a "not for hire" arrangement? Then, there is the trust issue - someone could drive off with your parts and never deliver them.

Do y'all think it's worth discussing?

Mitch

Old 09-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It would be workable in the chapters, I think, but liability is the issue. I have looked for backhauls on Craigslist, but everyone is always going the other way or a different week.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:43 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think yesterdays tractors has some sort of board like what you are asking about. I don't think it would be a good idea here...

Unless IB prints some long disclaimers and has no part of the deal.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:35 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
You are more than welcome to inquire in your state chapter - but in terms of having a special area to facilitate it... no

Old 09-27-2008, 03:00 AM
wizzard351
Postmaster
i dont know it might be a ok idea,i just got back from haulin a car for a member of a tractor board.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:49 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,693 Likes on 1,135 Posts
I might could use an empty truck to move me a trailer from Missouri.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:29 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
uship.com is a board dedicated to getting hauls, but it can be tough to get it to work.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:06 PM
wizzard351
Postmaster
Old 09-27-2008, 11:13 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

I know that this type of thing is on other boards but let me put this in a different manner.

Your discussing doing something that is extremely heavily regulated by the federal government, and your talking about doing it in such a way that the federal government would not be getting their share (Lic fees, heavy vehicle use tax, road use tax, the proper state fuel taxes paid to the proper states etc)

What exactly do you see the possible outcome of this situation could be on a very large board instead of a small obscure website?

There are boards that allow specifically for this and the hauler has to certify that they are properly lic and insured to conduct said business.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:30 PM
wizzard351
Postmaster
Rob anyone can make up a name and DOT number and haul off u-ship i see it every day and even know folks that do that. these are the folks that'll haul for not much more then the price of fuel. you and me are licenced for 80,000 and have our strickt rules did you no thet if your taged for under 50,000 theres alot less BS and regs

Old 09-27-2008, 11:39 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Yeah I know that and I know people do it all the time and that is fine but as you stated at least Uship forces them to make up a name and a DOT number. My post was about this web site and the liabilities they can incure by allowing this to go on. Who do you think the government would go after the little guy with a F350 and not much else or the web site that didn't at least make the effort to properly make sure people would follow the law and had a fairly big bank account? (actually probably both) and to do what is being asked would basically require hiring someone with the knowledge of how to be legal to moniter the hauling section all the time and have a lawyer ready to prove that the board had done all it could.

Oh and for those with pickups that do haul stuff not tied down properly, not with proper authority, over weight etc you might want to avoid Iowa and in particular DesMoines county area (Burlington) the past couple weeks I have been seeing DOT pulling over mostly pickups with flatbeds loaded with building supplies, and hauling trailers etc as well as 6 wheelers and not one big truck in the past month (at least 3 pickups a week for the past 3 weeks I personally have seen on the side of the road with a DOT officer one even had the portables out and was weighing the guy)

Old 09-27-2008, 11:46 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Originally Posted by wizzard351
l. you and me are licenced for 80,000 and have our strickt rules
yeah and some days it can be a real PITA. Do you have a hazmat endorsement? talk about a pain LOL

Quick Reply: Does this site have a "Hauling Board"?