Join Chapter, Leader: sky Cowboy

Best place for tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:44 AM
luv_mud
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BCHauler
After more research I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get the General Grabber AT2's. Out the door cost at Discount tire in Bellingham will be $604.54US or $625.27CDN at yesterdays exchange rate. Hulluva lot better than the $918CDN quote from Tireland in Poco for BFG AT KO's. Want to support local but that's $300.
What's Tireland's price on Grabbers? Can't compare prices on different tires.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:35 PM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
About $100 less, $820 or so, she wasn't specific because she would have to special order them...

Old 09-26-2008, 07:37 PM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by eglaisi
Careful about bringing tires over the line... they have to be made in USA (or not say where they are made) or customs won't let you take them.

Unless you get them mounted on your truck down there and let the tire shop take the old rubber, then you should be alright at the border... if they don't ask, don't tell!

That's the plan...

Old 09-30-2008, 12:51 PM
tydel
Junior User
I've got a set of Toyo open country Mt's for the summer,and a set of studded Traction kings for the winter.Very happy with both.I've tried all kinds of tires,these are the best tires I've found.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 AM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
I've been interested in an MT tire. I'm not too worried about the noise, but I am concerned about wet traction and to a lesser degree snow. You know how much rain we get in the lower mainland. One of the things I like about the Grabber at2's is how they rate well in the wet and have the snow flake. Has anyone had good results in those areas with an MT tire?

Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 AM
tydel
Junior User
Mt's are the worst tire ever in the wet icey snow.They are pretty good in the deep snow though.Any compact or ice conditions, you can not ,(should not )drive with any kind of Mt's.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:28 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tydel
Mt's are the worst tire ever in the wet icey snow.They are pretty good in the deep snow though.Any compact or ice conditions, you can not ,(should not )drive with any kind of Mt's.
That pretty much sums it up, until. You can also get mt's sipped(sp) to have them perform like a winter tire. I think kal tire does have a machine in certain areas to do the work, and it is only about $40 per tire. You can go onto their web site and see what it is exactly.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:32 PM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
then apparently they fall apart if you take them 4x4 ing

Old 10-12-2008, 03:30 PM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Well, I ended up changing my plans in the end. With the dollar tanking the way it has, the financial benefit of buying in the states basically disappeared. The best price for Grabbers I could find locally was pushing $900. I ended up getting a set of Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT 31's from Cdn Tire for $127 each. The tires look pretty good, are extreme snow rated and have decent internet reviews. The price was so good that I ended up buying 5 so now I have a new matching spare as well so I can rotate them. All in all I am satisfied. Would have been nice too bump up to 33's, but I really didn't want to have to buy wheels as well.