Sponsored by:

Any last minute words of wisdom?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 09:56 AM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With the help of the kind and learned folks of this site, my truck is finally ready to go. I spent the last six months preparing it for this weekend. I'm taking it on the trails in northern WI. I've been on these trails with my ATV several times, but never with my truck.

Being new to Ford trucks and to off-roading with 'em, I'm seeking any last minute advice anyone might have. I've read and re-read the posts on what to bring on the trails, but didn't see any driving tips or stuff like that.

Thanks in advance.

Wish me luck.

Kevin K.

Old 05-23-2002, 10:39 AM
AZ4x4f150
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-May-02 AT 11:39 AM (EST)]Make sure you are going with a buddy or atleast someone else with another truck pack plenty of tools to do minor repairs that may occur
and make sure you have some way of getting ahold of somebody be it the police fire or paramedics in case some thing would happen.
And make sure some near where you live knows where you are going in case something was to happen also so they know where to start looking
I always bring some extra food and water with me and a sleeping bag cuz you never know when a day trip off-roading can turn into a night and I know it gets cold in northern Wis at night.

OH YA one last thing ,,,HAVE FUN

Old 05-23-2002, 10:54 AM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru

Thanks AZ. The place we're going is a campground for off-roading. Some guy up there owns hundreds of acres that he logs and started a campground at the entrance. I know they're booked solid and that they have almost a hundred sites. I'm wheeling with 3 other trucks, but there are hundreds of ATVs and other trucks there as well.

I have my cell phone, a CB in the truck and a handheld CB. I think our group consists of 10 ATVs, 4 trucks, and about 20 people. There's always someone at base camp with a radio and cell phone.

As for food, I never go anywhere without it. I don't eat regular meals (except for dinner) so I always have snacks around (real healthy, I know).

I never thought to bring a sleeping bag though. Good idea because, yes, it gets damn cold here at night.

Thanks again!

Kevin K.

Old 05-23-2002, 11:26 AM
rabidranger
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget a first aid kit and bug repellant. You never know when either of those will come in handy. A little burn on the exhaust, or bashed knuckle on a slipped wrench and you will miss the bandaids and burn cream. Don't forget the high lift jack and yank straps too. Maybe a gas and water can wouldn't hurt as well. I also take a 96 piece crafstman socket set along with vise grips, crescent wrench, and good ole fix anything duct tape. A tire patch kit is also a small, safe, easy to store idea. Some extra oil, coolant, and tranny fluid may help if you tip, roll, or just plain blow some seals. Ether is a good idea for water runs in case you swamp the engines and need to pull the plugs, it helps for the restart. The list goes on, but I feel most of the above is pretty safe. The above is my list for several day trips out to no man's land.

Good luck, and may you find mud!

Old 05-23-2002, 03:48 PM
trixie
Freshman User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-May-02 AT 04:51 PM (EST)]Remember to take a fire extinguisher. You may not ever need it, but it'd suck to have your truck up in smoke from a burst power steering line or something. (speaking from experience)
Also keeping it in 4-lo all the time to prevent getting excited and going way too dangerously
fast. And if you get stuck, don't let a Jeeper pull you out, cuz they'll never shut up about
it

Old 05-23-2002, 03:59 PM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru

>Remember to take a fire extinguisher.

Good call! I almost forgot about that. I have one in the boat I can take.

>And if you get stuck, don't let a Jeeper pull you
>out, cuz they'll never shut up about it

I've been thinkin' about that. It just dawned on me that I'm goin up there with 3 chebys. I think I'll let them try the deep holes first so I can pull them out.

Thanks!

K.

Old 05-23-2002, 04:42 PM
Chuck P.
Elder User

Don't know how wise they are, but, momentum (sp?) is your best friend-conserve it and use it wisely-can't stress this enough. Much easier to keep going than it is to get going. Don't get in over or on your head, literaly-it hurts! Keep your tires out of the ruts, place 'em on the high spots when encountering deep ones that will catch your diffs, if this happens we call it "saddlebagged", been there-done that-several times, see gallery for the latest! Visualize how your truck is going over, around or thru something, pick a line that you and your your truck can cope with. When approaching a steep "step" or gully head on, navigate to try to take it at a slight angle instead of straight on, easier to get over this way, one tire at a time. Watch what the other guys with experience do on different terrain and if it worked-use it. None of this is to say don't challenge yourself or your truck-just pick your glory carefully and have fun while learning what you and your truck can do! If your stuck and you know it, don't dig yourself in, too many try to power their way out and end up making a minor un-stuck into a major un-stuck project, more fun to be wheelin' IMHO. If carbed, you may want to play on some hills that are steep but not long or tall, if you have a problem and stall, a safe area is close by, you'll most likely have to get to level ground to get 'er started again. Not a drivin' tip, but make sure your breathers are high enough for any water crossings you may make, also try to let the diffs cool before hitting the water/mud. If the diff is hot and you plunge into cold water, everything will contract very quickly and could suck water thru the seals. I like to put in a few "easy" (slow) miles before playin' in it and never after just comin' in off the blacktop. If in over your hubs, I would suggest tearing 'em down and cleaning/repacking them right away. Don't forget about the tranny breather, sometimes these are not so easy to extend but are up in an area that won't take water unless you stop in something deeper than the breather-real trouble with an auto. That's all my pea of a brain can think of right now. If I think of anything more, I'll post it. Have a good holiday and enjoy the camping and wheeling!!

Old 05-23-2002, 04:45 PM
trixie
Freshman User

also...I like to lower the float level in the front bowl before I hit the trails if there will be any steep hills. It sucks to lose traction from having the engine surge because extra fuel gets dumped down the throat...I've only found this to be a big annoyance with Holley's, though.

Old 05-23-2002, 06:47 PM
AlM
Posting Guru

A driving tip.. keep your thumbs up orflat on the strg. wheel when riding over rough terrain..don't wrap em 'round that strg. wheel/spoke....ouch!

Guess your windows will be down in this weather and doors unlocked. If not, keep your vent window unlocked in case of a rollover so others can get to you in case your doors are locked or lock somehow.

Tie down tight any jacks or heavy objects in the cab/bed.

Old 05-24-2002, 10:25 AM
trixie
Freshman User