Print Wikipost

Do it yourself wheel alignment F250 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:27 AM
83scrambler
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do it yourself wheel alignment F250 4x4

Why doesn't anyone do their own alignment work? I can't find any information on setting up your front axle at ALL!!

I have been doing the work on my Jeep for several years without issue. It doesn't eat tires, or wander in the least.

Anyone have any answers?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:29 AM
zack7.3
Elder User
I would rather just pay somebody $40 and know that it is right, rather than just do ir myself and be close.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:45 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
i'm with you too Zack, let someone else do it.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:48 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I've done plenty myself, just the toe-in though. If your truck has kinkpins, that's the only adjustment there is. If it has balljoints, then there is a way to adjust caster and camber, I just don't know how, and I would assume you would want an allignment rack for that too. Besides, most places around here offer free allignment with the purchase of 4 tires.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:26 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
With over $1000 in tires.....I'm happy to pay the $50 bucks to have it done with computer alignment!

Old 09-18-2008, 11:32 AM
83scrambler
New User
Those aren't the replies that I was looking for... I like to do my own work as opposed to paying someone else. If you don't have worth while info to throw in with regards to the subject at hand just keep the crap to yourself. It matters not to me that you have 1000 dollars in tires or 10,000 dollars in tires, I am interested in doing to work myself as I know there are more than adequate methods.

So, please refrain from asking why, rather add helpful information if you have it, otherwise sit back and learn something.

Thanks,

Your Dad

Old 09-18-2008, 11:42 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 83scrambler
Those aren't the replies that I was looking for... I like to do my own work as opposed to paying someone else. If you don't have worth while info to throw in with regards to the subject at hand just keep the crap to yourself. It matters not to me that you have 1000 dollars in tires or 10,000 dollars in tires, I am interested in doing to work myself as I know there are more than adequate methods.

So, please refrain from asking why, rather add helpful information if you have it, otherwise sit back and learn something.

Thanks,

Your Dad
Lighten up a bit DAD! With a stand-offish attitude like that you won't get help from anybody around here! You don't get to hand-pick your replies when you post something.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Haha..Wooowww....

We're a pretty close knit group around these parts...bite one of us and the rest feel their pain....

Old 09-18-2008, 11:44 AM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UP_There
Lighten up a bit DAD! With a stand-offish attitude like that you won't get help from anybody around here! You don't get to hand-pick your replies when you post something.

That is no attitude to bring to this forum. Members will never get any respect of help when they start out like that.

Buy an alignment machine. simple.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:45 AM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 83scrambler

Thanks,

Your Dad
Wow Dad .....

I see you have been a member for quite some time and I dont know how they are on the jeep forums but Im 10000% sure no one on here posted anything on here that desereved that response...

So, please refrain from posts like that, you can say the same thing with out coming across like a d**k, otherwise sit back and read the forum some more and you will realize here in the 7.3 forum we are a good group of nice guys and even a few gals and treat each other with some respect even if we disagree with each other.

Thanks,

Your Son

Edit: I guess I type too slow...

Old 09-18-2008, 11:46 AM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nhill2090
That is no attitude to bring to this forum. Members will never get any respect of help when they start out like that.

Buy an alignment machine. simple.
Been a member since 05, must be in "other" forums on FTE more often...

Old 09-18-2008, 11:48 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
OK, With the front axle on jack stands, mark both tires with chalk on the outside by the tread. With a buddy, turn the wheels to the rear as close to the 9-o-clock position as possible on passenger side, and it would be the 3-o-clock position on the drivers side. Take a measurement using a tape measure. Then rotate the wheels approximately 180 degrees and take another measurement. You want the front measurement to be between 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch less than the rear. That's how to set the toe-in. As for caster and camber, I don't know.

Side note, I assumed from the beginning of this thread that you did this type of work yourself. I assumed that you were just commenting on the fact that this info is not out there. I didn't know you were actually looking for it to use.

The following users liked this post:
AL`
Old 09-18-2008, 12:03 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
The guy has a point, however.

We are pretty good at side-tracking the subjects at hand. I do it myself, so let's name me as the biggest offender.

An example: Mention that you've just had a rough shift from third to fourth. How soon do you think that it will be that the thread turns into, "You MUST go to Lead Hill immediately! Do not pass GO!"

Or a question like, "What's a good pre-pump filter?" migrates into, "You must use a regulated return".

Even though I might not have put it like he did, I have some sympathy for the guy's position. He posted here because he wanted an answer. With one exception, what he got were just opinions.

Flame suit on....

Pop

Old 09-18-2008, 12:05 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
People here, while not perfect, (my membership is proof of that) are very helpful when treated properly. I believe none of us really understood what you were looking for from the original post. Nobody ment any dis-respect in any of the posts.

You asked, Why doesn't anyone do their own alignment work? You got several good answers.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:09 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
People here, while not perfect, (my membership is proof of that) are very helpful when treated properly. I believe none of us really understood what you were looking for from the original post. Nobody ment any dis-respect in any of the posts.

You asked, Why doesn't anyone do their own alignment work? You got several good answers.
Exactly...

Quick Reply: Do it yourself wheel alignment F250 4x4