Do it yourself wheel alignment F250 4x4 - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Do it yourself wheel alignment F250 4x4

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-17-2014, 08:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels & Tires How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Do it yourself wheel alignment F250 4x4

Old 09-18-2008, 09:32 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Post Fiend
CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
Going Off Topic

I know, it's rarely done, but what the heck.

Most, if not all you guys and gals, would do whatever they could to help each other out. A thank you, along with a beer, would be the only payment. On the same note, they could, and would, do whatever is necessary to someone that does them wrong. I prefer to be friends, and enjoy the company. When we have issues, we settle them respectfully. OK, I'm ready for the negative reps,,,,,

Old 09-19-2008, 05:17 PM
King0581
Posting Guru
King0581 has a good reputation on FTE.King0581 has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm just gonna try to stay on everyones good side. I know this site has really helped me a lot in the few months that I have been here. Saved alot of money and cost me alot of money.But where would the fun be in driving around in aplain old truck! In my mind even going a little off topic sometimes can bring up more questions and can be a lot more helpful.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader
Toyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 83scrambler View Post
Why doesn't anyone do their own alignment work? I can't find any information on setting up your front axle at ALL!!

I have been doing the work on my Jeep for several years without issue. It doesn't eat tires, or wander in the least.

Anyone have any answers?
Lighten up Francis.

If you have beed doing it for years on Jeeps (straight axle) then it is the same thing, only on a REAL truck now.

You already knew the answer you were searching for, before you asked it.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:09 AM
tananaBrian
Freshman User
tananaBrian is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post
Exactly...
Related.... I would like to know where, online, I can find 2000 F-250 4wd alignment specifications and a Ford-recommended description of what a proper alignment method is, e.g. shims or bushings? Once I'm armed with this ammo, I'll find a shop that can do it right and gives me the right answers.... Maybe I should just call the ($$) dealer and see if they'll give me answers.

bd

Old 11-15-2017, 04:20 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
carguy3j has a very good reputation on FTE.carguy3j has a very good reputation on FTE.carguy3j has a very good reputation on FTE.carguy3j has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
Related.... I would like to know where, online, I can find 2000 F-250 4wd alignment specifications and a Ford-recommended description of what a proper alignment method is, e.g. shims or bushings? Once I'm armed with this ammo, I'll find a shop that can do it right and gives me the right answers.... Maybe I should just call the ($$) dealer and see if they'll give me answers.

bd
Forget about Ford specs. I doubt you'll get a straight answer from a dealer anyway. Even if you do, they're kinda wrong anyway.

Shoot for approx -0.5 deg camber on both sides. Try to get them as equal as possible.

Caster should be way more then Ford "wants". In order to minimize steering "wander", and improve the "return to center" feel, aim for approx 5 to 6 degrees of POSITIVE caster. This is about double the Ford spec of about 2-3 deg.

Toe, you can probably go with the spec, just demand that the shop put it right in the middle. Basically, on a rear wheel drive vehicle, you want just a "hair" of toe in, as the wheels will be pushed out/apart a little as you drive down the road. FWD vehicles, on the other hand, require a bit of toe out, as they tend to "pull" the front tires in under power.

The biggest challenge will be finding a shop that actually knows how to do an alignment, and not just a "toe and go", and one that will put it where you tell them,instead of insisting on only what their computer tells them to do.

Don't give in. Demand that the shop put it where you want , or go somewhere else. Be sure to let them know why they are losing the business. Also, assuming you have recently replaced the steering components, including ball joints, then don't accept any excuses or anything less then perfection. What I mean is don't let them tell they "can't" get it aligned, or can't get both sides equal and right on the desired setting. As long as everything is in good condition, it IS possible. It just takes a bit of knowledge and a little more effort then most places usually put into an alignment.

Don't even bother with the chain shops. ( STS, Mienike, Sears, Goodyear, etc...) Unless you're buddies with a manager, they are just a bunch of corporate stooges that will only do it "by the book". Best bet is an independent shop, with good equipment, and a friendly and knowledgeable owner.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:39 AM
mike71800b
Junior User
mike71800b is starting off with a positive reputation.
Its like anything else dealing with precision, its going to require some precision tools to get much better than ball park.

If you need more caster than you can dial in, you will need eccentrics with more offset from center of the knuckle.
Adjustable Bushings | Alignment Parts | MOOG Parts

Ha! i now see this thread was bumped from the grave... hopefully this will be helpful still

Old 11-21-2017, 07:01 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge
Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
Funny thread! I think they scared the troll away. A lot of old names in this one.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:59 PM
savagefan
Senior User
savagefan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for bringing this one back tananaBrian. I have been frustrated with the local tire shops that insist on replacing the all-new Moog front end on my Excursion before they do the alignment, so I'm looking for specs etc. (No $50 alignments around this burg boys). I've even heard ther's a phone app that gives camber angle, anyone try this?

Old 03-17-2018, 01:09 AM
mike71800b
Junior User
mike71800b is starting off with a positive reputation.
There are lots of digital and bubble level apps for phones. To make sure its reading properly I temporarily unlevel a sturdy table by a few degrees... check the app reading, then turn the phone 180 degrees and be sure the reading is the same with one direction positive value and the other direction negative value. i.e. +2.5 & -2.5.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:21 PM
savagefan
Senior User
savagefan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ordered up one of these things on Amazon. I'll see how it works if this snow ever melts. https://www.joesracing.com/i-2109189...c-adapter.html