1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What if you channeled an effie?

Old 09-17-2008, 06:55 PM
merten
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What if you channeled an effie?

It might look like this, something to think about. I hope that was not a rust free cab. It is on ebay.
eBay Motors: Ford : F-100 (item 260286988964 end time Sep-18-08 09:32:28 PDT)

Old 09-17-2008, 07:04 PM
mossyoak1992
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you channel an effie you make a piece of crap

Old 09-17-2008, 07:06 PM
fastfew
Senior User
also known as a roach rod.............

Old 09-17-2008, 07:45 PM
53OlderThanMe
Elder User
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................

Can't say I like it or hate it.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Kazoo
Senior User
I don't like it, but thats just my opinion

Old 09-17-2008, 11:15 PM
56efffie
Elder User
If you channeled a Effie I would say you were on crack!
There are much better candidates for the rockabilly look. Just my opinion

Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 PM
billy12360
Elder User
the bed needs to go down with the cab, i think it would look way better that way...

Old 09-18-2008, 02:49 AM
Aussie 53
Tuned
to each of their own. some people have taste and some people don't!

Old 09-18-2008, 05:59 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Channeled pickups used to be more common although the Bonus Builts (48-52) and older trucks were often done more than the Effies. A shortened stock pickup bed was also used. The owner claims the bed was handmade but it looks more like a T-bucket bed and they took the channeling too far. We can only hope that there was no floor in the cab to begin with and it was not a rust free cab as already suggested...

Old 09-18-2008, 07:59 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 602 Likes on 374 Posts
Check out the front "suspension", and the size of the frame tubing. I wouldn't even sit in that in a parking lot. Also like how the motor mount brackets reach in about a foot with no apparent gussets.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:11 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,768 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Scary!

Ross, that front suspension leaves alot to be desired.
Look at the pic of the rear suspension and note how the frame was "Z"d. If that isn't enough to scare you away then nothing will.

Like you, I would be afraid to sit in that thing while it was sitting still

Bobby

Old 09-18-2008, 09:18 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Now it's my turm...

This one caught my eye... Not because I thought it was particularly great looking or well built. I could spend a lot of time on what was wrong and what should have been done, but I think that has already been covered.

One comment made was about the box tube used in the frame. Althought I would have chosen a rectangular tube as opposed to a square one, it's worth mentioning that it is not possible to tell the wall thickness of the box from the pictures on ebay. It that stuff is 3/16" or 1/4" thick, you could hang the whole thing on the end of an 8' jib of that stuff. Box and rectangle tube stock is amazingly strong. However, I will say that the design of the frame defeats the purpose. The engineering is all wrong.

As for doing something like this, it's another one of those deals that is in the eyes of the beholder.

I have collected a lot of stuff in the process of getting ready to start on my '53 F-100. More than once it has occurred to me that there is going to be a lot of stuff left over that won't really be good to sell as it is probably as bad or worse than what othere would like to have or replace. On the other hand it is still too good to scrap. So, I have been thinking of doing something like this just for the fun of it with what is left over. Maybe that is how this thing started.

If I did do something vaguely along these lines I would be posting it as it went and I bet I would hear all the same stuff about it. In a way that bothers me because I would never engineer something that wasn't bullet proof. That wouldn't stop me from doing it though. as a matter of fact, it would have the opposite effect, it would encourage me. Must be the Darksider in me...

Later Folks...

Old 09-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Cyruscosmo
Senior User
Ack! I have built go-carts with better frames than that…

Cyrus

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... HELL YEAH!!! What a trip!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:59 AM
joedellcarter
Senior User
Ford did everything right in the design of these F-100s. I can't commend someone who would separate the cab from the nose and build something out of spare parts. That was never in style, and unfortunately it's popular now amongst no talent hacks. That cab could have gone to someone who would have held on to it and tried to gather up the other necessary pieces to make a whole one.

Whoever built this contraption took a piece of art and made it into a piece of sh**.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:26 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Why not exaggerate a bit ???

Originally Posted by Cyruscosmo
Ack! I have built go-carts with better frames than that…

I would really like to see that go cart. If you read the descriptiom of that frame material you would have noticed that it is made out of 4" X 4" box. As I said earlier, that would not have been my choice, but even with1/8' wall it would hold up to far more strain than that rig will ever put to it. The fault is in the design and suspension, and not the strength of the material. Take a look at a NASCAR chassis and see what they are built from. Your go cart must have had some monster mill in it...

Later Man...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What if you channeled an effie?