Sponsored by: Moser

Ecoboost 2 years away??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecoboost 2 years away??

I thought the Ecoboost was ment to be here in the 2010 trucks?? Just see a video saying that it will be a full 2.5 years until its put into a f150. Not that it matters to me as i have a 09 on order but not good for people holding out for the Ecoboost.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:51 AM
jpeters1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they are going to test it for 2 years on cars first to get the bugs out.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:11 AM
jpeters1
Senior User
I think that everyone could wait 2 years if it puts out the power like this article says. Diesel Superduty power without the upfront cost.
PickupTrucks.com: Update 1 - Ford Ethanol Boost Engine Code Named Bobcat

Old 09-17-2008, 09:41 AM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
Have a link to that video?

I thought they were trying to fast track the EB V6 in order to debut it in 2010 (Job 1), or mid-year 2010 (Job 2)? Supposedly there are test mules already running around?

Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Dean88
Postmaster
5.0 that produces 500 horses and 700 torque!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sign me up.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:27 AM
watz
Junior User
The Bobcat could be the best thing that happened to Ford in a long time. I know I will be in line to pick one up. Congress has just introduced a bill to mandate E85 be in every fill station too. Great bridge to the future I think...

Now bring on Natural gas too

Old 09-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by watz
The Bobcat could be the best thing that happened to Ford in a long time. I know I will be in line to pick one up. Congress has just introduced a bill to mandate E85 be in every fill station too. Great bridge to the future I think...

Now bring on Natural gas too
Yeah the e85 would be a good idea for every petrol station. Also I think that the bobcat would more than likely need e100 if it was mixing in such small amounts. But im unsure.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:35 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm afraid the Ecoboost will be a warrenty work nightmare, wouldn't touch one for a minimum of two years. Not shure why everyone has such faith in ethanol, its garbage in my book. Ethanol is real hard on carbs, (especially small engines) is hydroscopic, kills mpg, makes gas go bad faster and list goes on not to mention theres not a single station even remotly in my area. I'd much rather see CNG, but avalability is still limited. If the goverment is behind it, its usually a brain fart of an idea.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 AM
excaliber551
Elder User
This article was written on 9-02 08 of this year and they state the EB engines will be available in 09.

Is this information wrong? a 20% boost in MPG is good with the added power and torque.
I'm waiting to see these ecoboost engines before I buy a new F150. You would think this engine would be priority #1 right now for Ford especially since F150 trucks are their bread and butter.

Get these things out now.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:08 PM
watz
Junior User
Originally Posted by dkf
I'm afraid the Ecoboost will be a warrenty work nightmare, wouldn't touch one for a minimum of two years. Not shure why everyone has such faith in ethanol, its garbage in my book. Ethanol is real hard on carbs, (especially small engines) is hydroscopic, kills mpg, makes gas go bad faster and list goes on not to mention theres not a single station even remotly in my area. I'd much rather see CNG, but avalability is still limited. If the goverment is behind it, its usually a brain fart of an idea.
You [really need to take the time and read the pickuptruck.comarticle. Ethanol will BOOST MPG 20% while supplying 500hp and 700 pnd ft. The vehicle itself would run on regular gasoline only supplying ethanol as a direct injection octane boost if you will. This allows for more boost which is where the increase in HP and torque come into play.

E85 can is referenced in the research as the fuel of choice for the bobcat. E100 would be fine too, but E85 is already online and can be used. This technology is already in use, many guys over on turbobuick.com already are using straight E85 to push those 21 year old heavy Buick bricks into the 10's. Ethanol has never been short on power WHEN FORCED INDUCTION is put into play. That's the key though, running 108 octane doesn't help trucks get better mileage unless they take advantage of that 108 octane meaning more boost.

As far as waiting for the first and second generation, I can see that point although if the turbobuick guys can do it, I am sure Ford can put something together...

Old 09-17-2008, 01:56 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Originally Posted by dkf
You [really need to take the time and read the pickuptruck.comarticle. Ethanol will BOOST MPG 20% while supplying 500hp and 700 pnd ft. The vehicle itself would run on regular gasoline only supplying ethanol as a direct injection octane boost if you will. This allows for more boost which is where the increase in HP and torque come into play.

E85 can is referenced in the research as the fuel of choice for the bobcat. E100 would be fine too, but E85 is already online and can be used. This technology is already in use, many guys over on turbobuick.com already are using straight E85 to push those 21 year old heavy Buick bricks into the 10's. Ethanol has never been short on power WHEN FORCED INDUCTION is put into play. That's the key though, running 108 octane doesn't help trucks get better mileage unless they take advantage of that 108 octane meaning more boost.
There are goods and bads about E85/E100. I've discussed this more times than I'd like so I'll make this short. The mpgs decrease in an FFV when running E85 are due to the compression rate. If you can boost the CR, then the motor can make better useage of the higher octane, which in turn produces more power and better mpgs. If you could run E100 alone (wouldn't be an FFV since it couldn't run on both E85 & gasoline), then a motor would get better mpgs and produce more power off E100 then the same exact motor with a lower CR running off 87 octane gasoline.

EDIT: It'd be nice if technology could advance enough that an FFV could vary the CR depending on the fuel used. But think that may be a little tough to achieve at the current time.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:02 PM
mistrtoad
Junior User
Originally Posted by dkf
Ethanol is fine if it's used as intended. No secret that its heat value is lower than gasoline's. That's why it's cheaper. I can get E85 for my FFV Ranger for under $3.00 a gallon. Works better than unleaded for me as the load ping I get with regular unleaded goes away completely.

And the word you're looking for is "hygroscopic" or "hydrophilic." A little of that is a good thing since water in the fuel becomes a thing of the past. If your fuel system or your fuel storage strategy is defective, you may have a problem. No fuel, ethanol blended or otherwise, has stored well since the EPA mandated additive and detergency levels. You need to take precautions and, for long term storage, use a fuel stabilizer.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:19 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mistrtoad
Ethanol is fine if it's used as intended. No secret that its heat value is lower than gasoline's. That's why it's cheaper. I can get E85 for my FFV Ranger for under $3.00 a gallon. Works better than unleaded for me as the load ping I get with regular unleaded goes away completely.

And the word you're looking for is "hygroscopic" or "hydrophilic." A little of that is a good thing since water in the fuel becomes a thing of the past. If your fuel system or your fuel storage strategy is defective, you may have a problem. No fuel, ethanol blended or otherwise, has stored well since the EPA mandated additive and detergency levels. You need to take precautions and, for long term storage, use a fuel stabilizer.
I'm aware of the octane value which is definatly a plus. Your thinking of Isoproyl alcohol. Ethanol attracts the moisture and doesn't mix with water like Isopropyl alcohol. My neibor will verify that too. He got some watered gas at a local station and it took him over 6 months a several trips to the dealer to straighten it out.

Ethanol based fuel doesn't last like non ethanol fuel period with or without fuel stabilizer. Stabil came out with a marine stabil to counteract corrosion problems however its not widely available yet. I've been dealing with even small % of ethanol for years in all my boats and other motors and it don't store like plain old gas. The 2 stroke racers have been tearing down there carbs after every race to drain the gas out otherwise the carb will need a new diaphram.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:27 PM
dkf
Hotshot

As far as waiting for the first and second generation, I can see that point although if the turbobuick guys can do it, I am sure Ford can put something together...
I've read the article and am aware of the Fords intentions. I was really addressing the whole gasoline/ethanol blend thing.

Look at all the past articles, prototypes and etc Ford came up with and never saw the light of day. I highly doubt you'll see a 500hp 700lbft gas/ethanol engine out for a long time or at all. You shure won't see it in an F-150 as that engine is targeted for the SD. Getting all hyped up for a dissapointment IMO.

E85 is popular around the midwestern US however out towards the east coast where I live its pretty much nonexistant. Availability just isn't what it needs to be for widespread use.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
I think 3 things everyone would agree with, Ethanol would be a heck of a lot better if:

1. the government and all of the treehugging cronies wouldn't be pushing subsidies left and right for it
2. if they made it out of sugar cane like Brazil, and not corn, as sugar cane is a LOT more efficient. (Ethanol fuel in Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for example)
3. if it was left alone to take off on it's own and not forced via legislature. If the product is competitive enough to take on gasoline as far as bang for the buck goes, it will take off, especially with the whole craziness about gas prices and global warming right now. If it's not, then there's no point in pushing/forcing an inferior product to market

That is all

Quick Reply: Ecoboost 2 years away??