Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

injectors over-fueling at idol

Old 09-16-2008, 02:31 PM
rednek99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injectors over-fueling at idol

I just took my new single shot stage IIs to get tested and they are running 5 times the amount of fuel at idol as they should. Any ideas of what could cause this mechanically ?

Thanks Roy

Old 09-16-2008, 04:03 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rednek99
I just took my new single shot stage IIs to get tested and they are running 5 times the amount of fuel at idol as they should. Any ideas of what could cause this mechanically ?

Thanks Roy
Who is flowing them? I know the people that flowed mine said the same thing. Turns out thier beaker could only hold so much fuel and they rarely dealt with bigger injectors and told me mine were too.. But there was nothing wrong with them.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
what are the symptoms? If that were the case, i would think that thing would be revving awfully high at idle.
Timmy

Old 09-16-2008, 07:50 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
remember one thing flow testin its not done with your tunig chip and IDM and or pcm controlling it, it just pumps fuel through injector in certain amount of time , thats all.
your injection timing its changed by the guy who is tuning your truck, so the amount of fuel at idle will be changed.
like Tim said it would rev your truck awfully high.....

Old 09-17-2008, 12:15 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i have been trying to help rednek99 with his truck. i helped him take the injectors out/in and trying to get the truck to start. and i will tell y'all the condition of his truck. for one it's an early 99 since he doesn't have a sig set up.

here is what we did---
ordered stage 2 single shot kit from diy-injectors dot com, single shot pcm from jody @ dp-tuner, and a dp-tuner chip as well. Roy(rednek99) built the stage 2's himself even though he has never done it b4, but feels confident he did them right. since i know roy to be a good wrecher and when he feels confident it's done right then it's usually done right.

now, after we put the injectors in and filled the hpo rails and hpop res. and put in the dp-tuner pcm and chip we took out the #22 and #9 fuse and cranked it a few times checking hpop res level each time to prime the system. put the fuses back in and it tried to fire a few times, but never came to idle. after that everytime we cranked it we got no fire or anything. got the snap on scanner and did a buzz test and all injectors sound fine. pulled codes and got some pcm codes i believe. we put his old pcm in the truck and cranked it and it fired as soon as the oil pressure guage rose, but never came to an idle. did this everytime we cranked it and it pours white smoke from the exhaust. put dp-tuner pcm back in and it fires when the oil pressure guage rises, but still no idle and lots of white smoke from the exhaust.

Roy talked to both Jody and Jim today and they both think it's a pcm problem and Jody sent him another pcm. hopefully when it gets here the dang truck will freaking start b/c we are really tired of looking at the truck parked with the hood under the shop and not rolling any coal yet. this job should have been finished last week, but we haven't been able to figure out whats going on with it. Like i said, hopefully the new pcm solves the problem

Old 09-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
First things first. . . patience boys!! That many changes that quickly can often lead to a little down time for problems. Trust me I've been there. When I first put my first set of Compounds together, the truck wouldn't start. Ended up being that I forgot to plug in the IPR. . . which was nice because it was almost inaccessable. ANyway, white smoke. . . is it oil or fuel? Does it burn your eyes? Almost 100% of the time you change a set of injectors. . . or pull one or more out. . . you are going to smoke oil like crazy for five or so minutes. Keep us updated as to what happens with the new computer.
timmy

Old 09-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I have been through 2 sets of injectors due to what I felt were unsatisfactory idle problems. In all instances, the truck started and ran. I went back to a DP Tune, (long story, don't ask) it started and idled OK. Even before, just better. Something is wrong. I just wonder if it is the PCM if it ran fine before the swap.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:06 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
he swapped to single shots and the stock pcm is for splits. we put in the old one thinking maybe he accidentally got sent split shot stage 2's. it didn't smoke at all with the dp-tuner pcm in it while we were cranking it. put in the split shot pcm and it white smoked like crazy and everytime it would fire it would puff black smoke then back to white. i haven't found any loose connections or connections that were not connected back. i checked that first it wouldn't start.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
Subscribing.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:50 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
id say that that you took everything out to change injectors, check you IPR wire, it might have been clipped or broken, check ipr nut if its not loose or somthing.... do you get your oil press coming up when you crank? check all the wires and make sure they all plugged in where they should have been
keep us posted

Old 09-18-2008, 06:51 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
oil pressure gauge comes up after about 3 seconds of cranking maybe. i will check the ipr next time i go over there. the new pcm should be here any day now so i will check everything over real good before we put the pcm in the truck. will be checking ipr, UVC harnesses, etc. one code that we kept pulling no matter what we did was a code for intake manifold heater.. anyone know what that's all about?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:17 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
AIH heater , u dont have to worry about. that wont stop your reuck from starting. its in you intake Y . its used to preheat the air for the emisions, its used only on very cold days winter ect.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:26 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
thats what i was thinking, but i haven't done the reading on the super duty's. i'm an OBS guy so working on a super duty is quite different when it comes to the electrical. injector change out is the same though so i can do that. so now i know what the AIH delete is at least. LoL

Old 09-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
FWIW I ran my truck with my hybrids without a chip on the stock split shot PCM. It ran and idled pretty fair, just wasn't the right fuel program. None of the symptoms you are seeing. I even drove it around a bit like that just for grins and giggles.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:18 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
got the snap on scanner and did a buzz test and all injectors sound fine. pulled codes and got some pcm codes i believe.

Do you remember what the other codes were? P0600 - 0699 are PCM related IIRC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: injectors over-fueling at idol