1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

convert Y block to CNG

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
convert Y block to CNG

I was looking for any info on converting my 57 312 ci Y block to CNG. I made a post on the "alternative fuels list etc" , but I thought I'd ask here too. I've got the motor in my 51 F1. We've got one gas station in my area that sells CNG and maybe more in the future? I dont know. But I'm wondering if its possible, and if so has anyone located a kit manufacturer for something like what I've got. Or do I need to move up to some sort of injected/computer motor etc?

I've looked around a little on the internet, but I havent seen anything that looks like its available for my specific situation. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Has anyone here converted to CNG with their older carburated motor?

Let me know please.

Thanks

Tom

Old 09-16-2008, 04:20 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Tom,

I have no clue but I am interested in what you find out. My wife and I were talking about this very subject last night, she was wondering if I could convert her little 65 Falcon with a 170ci straight six to CNG.

I wonder how different the system would be from the old propane systems?

Bobby

Old 09-16-2008, 08:19 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
I wonder how different the system would be from the old propane systems?

Bobby
I would imagine that the old propane system should work for CNG, just wouldn't need the heated regulator since CNG is always in a vapor. I too have thought about this, but seeing how all of my vehicles are now running diesel, I don't have a need for it.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:34 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
As was stated before, CNG may not be too far off from what propane is. There's a 400 (335 series) converted to propane that seems to work, and that engine is a bit old. Good friend of mine had a 1972 f100 FE engine that had propane, so older engine designs seem to work. I believe the idea behind CNG is getting the compression ratio up to the right amount to run efficiently. I'd be interested to know if it works, just out of curiosity.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:30 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geez, this brings back some memories, dont quote me on this,and you will have to do some of your own research...You will have to raise the compression in your current engine though.I was involved in one of these projects a few years back (91?)..We used a unit manufactured in Ontario,Canada (can't remember the name..maybe some of our Canadian freinds can chime in..) it was a combination EFI (spark/timing) and injector set. The unit had 6 injectors that opened up in progression as engine loads changed.
Was not too difficult to install, just fabbed up brkt to support the unit in the enginebay, added a port'before" the EFI throttle plate, and of course ran SS fuelline to a CNG carbonfiber tank in the back...Cool thing was the system was "adaptive" , as you drove it around, it "learned" engine loads thru the stock EFI sensors, and ran better the more you drove it. I have to say, those Kanucks have already got this stuff pretty much fiqured out...just about every Gas station has a CNG Pump also...availability or convienence is the same as gasoline here in the states, it's everywhere...