1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Super Duty Rear Entertainment systems

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
2008 Super Duty Rear Entertainment systems

Does anybody know where the new rear DVD players for the '08 Super Duties are made or by what company. Also wondered if anybody knows of any parts or salvage operations that have any for sale. I looked on Ebay but haven't found anything yet. I like the look and features of the factory model but might end up getting one of the aftermarket units. Also, does anybody know if the factory Ford system can be retrofitted into a 2005 F-250? Thanks.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:56 AM
FTX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THey only have "FOMOCO" on the back label as the manufacture and I don't know for sure who makes them for Ford.

There are plenty on Ebay, I just picked up an all black one from an Harley version for only $99. Search for "Ford DVD" and look around at the results. The units for the newer Expeditions etc are the same used in the 08 SDs.

As far as installing one in a 2005 I am in the process of doing that and will post a new thread when I am finished. In order to use it you will need a CAN bus enabled Stereo that has the capabilities of operating it. From what I understand so far you must have a factory NAV system in order to fully operate and control the DVD system. I do not think it will operate standalone.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:19 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Thanks FTX. Mine is a 2005 F-250 but I wasn't aware that you had to have the nav system for it to work. If you find that the nav isn't necessary, let me know. I prefer the looks of the factory system over the aftermarket ones. I figured the mounting would probably be the same for the '05 and the '08 as I'm not aware of any changes to the truck's roof structure (i.e. support braces, etc.).

Old 09-16-2008, 03:25 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know in my 04 expy their made by Delphi. (I had to repair mine a few years ago, a thread can be found about it here.) I think the 07/08's use Delphi as well.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:01 PM
FTX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Thanks FTX. Mine is a 2005 F-250 but I wasn't aware that you had to have the nav system for it to work. If you find that the nav isn't necessary, let me know. I prefer the looks of the factory system over the aftermarket ones. I figured the mounting would probably be the same for the '05 and the '08 as I'm not aware of any changes to the truck's roof structure (i.e. support braces, etc.).
Mounting will have to be custom, the factory mounting system will not work on the earlier Super Duty's UNLESS you get a 2008 Headliner. The 2007 and earlier headliners have a recessed area in the headliner where the system will mount while the 2008 headliner is flat to allow room for the mounting bracket etc for the system. I actually prefer doing it with my existing headliner because the unit will be mounting higher and will give a few more inches of headroom.

What it will take is some custom brackets going between the 2 support ribs in the roof structure and them mount the DVD unit to that. Not a big deal, but it is a shame because the 2008 mounting bracket is only $40-50 from Ford.

Take a look at these pics and you can spot the difference in the headliners just rearward of the interior light...

Old 09-16-2008, 04:38 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Thanks again FTX. I see the difference you're talking about. I really would like to be able to use a Ford system but looks like I'll go aftermarket. It's a shame because I found one on Ebay like you said for $195.00 from a 2007 Expedition. As far as I can tell, it's the same as the one for the SD.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:54 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I havent heard of the NAV system being a requirement. When I ordered my 08 I considered the rear entertainment and there was no mention of a necessary upgrade to the NAV system. My wife's Taurus X has the rear entertainment without the NAV. I opted against the factory system (because my dealer told me for the same money I could have 2 seperate screens installed in the head rests and that would enable the kids to watch seperate DVD's if they desired) but if I could do the factory set up for a couple hundred bucks I would.