1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

limited slip saved the day

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 10:20 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
limited slip saved the day

I know, I know, I should have gotten a 4by4. But, I was impressed today. I'm in the Detroit area and I backed my trailer up on the grass to unload it. It started raining elephants and horses (cats & dogs) and by the time I was unloaded, I was stuck, big time. I thought I would unhook from the trailer and take another angle at it. I had to rock the truck back and forth (without the trailer) and barely got moving. I thought to myself, the heck with the trailer, I'm going for the road before I have to spend the night here. I made it but left TWO hugh ruts to the road. It looked like my 65 mustang lays rubber with its posi 9 inch rear end with its 351 stroked out motor. I was IMPRESSED!!

Old 09-14-2008, 10:40 PM
ron86toy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I know, I know, I should have gotten a 4by4. But, I was impressed today. I'm in the Detroit area and I backed my trailer up on the grass to unload it. It started raining elephants and horses (cats & dogs) and by the time I was unloaded, I was stuck, big time. I thought I would unhook from the trailer and take another angle at it. I had to rock the truck back and forth (without the trailer) and barely got moving. I thought to myself, the heck with the trailer, I'm going for the road before I have to spend the night here. I made it but left TWO hugh ruts to the road. It looked like my 65 mustang lays rubber with its posi 9 inch rear end with its 351 stroked out motor. I was IMPRESSED!!
I am 2.5 hrs north of Det.,Yeah it been raining for 2 frickin days here...I have a drive through garage and had a stream going through it(should not be complaining though...nothing like what the people down south are going through)
I am wondering this about this winter with the posi....this is the first 2wd I have owned...although I rarely used the 4x4 on my others exept for pulling the stupid people out of the ditches....damn,just realized no cruisin the freeways for them after a snowstorm.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:58 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i love having both wheels spin! it just doesnt seem right having a one legger

Old 09-15-2008, 12:04 AM
kawa
Postmaster
I couldn't get up a small slope behind the house to get to my 5th wheel. I put a Detroit Locker in it and if the grass is damp.....I still can't get to it. but I was making twin groves, before it was only one.

Rog

Old 09-15-2008, 04:32 AM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
my truck gets stuck in wet grass to untill i get out and lock the front hubs mmuuaahahah

Old 09-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm located 30 miles north of Detroit and it's been raining for a month (seems like it).
I think I saw Noah's Ark going down the street LOL.
Oldbird, if you are still in the area come on up, I'll buy ya a beer
You can service your rig for the return trip too LOL I have everything you need
to 'get er done'

I installed a used super duty 3 pinion posi about 6 months ago (thanks c00n),
Best thing I ever added to the old girl. It would get stuck on wet grass before the posi.
It even made a difference when I'm in 4wd, which is a lot in the winter.
I'll never understand why any truck comes w/o posi.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
A road truck doesn't need it. I think they figure most rigs for hauling on the road.
I hate my open differential.

I duno why my post dissapeared in this thread either. Kinda creepy.
Most tires are just trash on wet grass, Specially my BFG At's.
It's like driving on ice.
Road tires are far worse in any conditions though. I hate the farm truck, so useless off pavement. But it just hauls trailers and animals in the back of the bed. So, one of us with 4wd is pulling it someplace in the winter time.

My damn rear end I baught came with an open Diff in it. I'm so pissed about it, that was like 2 years ago.
The keeper pin came ou on the center pin and the pin just pushed though the rear cover when i went to move my truck. Didn't know about rear ends and c-clips, so i tried driving home in FWD. yea, that worked for about 2 miles when my axle and tire passed me.
Down by where you live Jim, i was just north of romulas, you could see where i broke down for a good 3 or 4 months from the gear oil.

WEnt to junk yard, grabed a used 3.55 LS rear end out of an older ford 87 or 88, so i had to change the pinion yoke (different story) and never realized it was an open rear end, cause the tag said it was an LS. Threw it back together and never thought twice about it till my pinion problem and my old carrier was tossed.
WEnt to replace the clutch packs during the pinion bearing swap and... no clutch packs.
DAMIT! Thats why i've been getting stuck so easily!!!!
It will rip gravel from both tires when you hammer it, but only 1 wheel broadies on sement and grass.
Friggen gay.
I am so mad at ford.
putting an open rear end in a LS taged rear end.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 AM
cchildress
Senior User
Will sd gears fit in our rearends. I know we have 10.25 and sd has 10.5 but I have 4.30 gears from a sd and would like to have them for bigger tires but did not know if they would work. and what is the best locker. because I have the piece of ***** open rearend to.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:51 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The gears won't fit but the carrier will. The pinions are also different lengths.

My Stock UNlimited slip needs some new cltuches! But I bought the carrier a year ago and put bearing on it and installed it hoping the used clutches were good....NOPE sure aren't. So I am at an impass. Get clutches ($125) or put the open carrier back in and get one of these...
eBay Motors: Ford F250 F350 10.25" Powertrax Lock Right 35 spl (item 260119782525 end time Oct-09-08 18:14:30 PDT)

Old 09-15-2008, 12:11 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My truck's rear end is LS too but it slips pretty easily in soft sand. We don't get mud in NM!! Haha!! But if you tap the brakes you can get both tires spinning. 4 wheel drive has saved me a bunch.

Tim I've had a couple of those Lokrites in the front of my Bronco. One in the stock axle and one in the Explorer D35 that's in it now. I've never had any issues with them but I do have manual hubs so they don't spin or ratchet at all on the road. I've heard that it would be better to go with a Detroit or something else in the rear of any vehicle, especially a big truck. I was gonna get one for the 8.8 in my Bronco but someone talked me into bucking up for the Detroit and I'm glad I did. The Lokrite is not as heavy duty as a Detroit and could possibly fail earlier than it would if it were only used part time. I've seen quite a few blown Lokrites in the rear of jeeps and other smaller 4X4s, but never a full size truck. Your call though. Just food for thought.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:04 PM
cchildress
Senior User
How do you know what spline you have does the tag tell you or you just have to open it up and look or is there a standard one?