EGR cooler up pipe removal instructions - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR cooler up pipe removal instructions

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #16  
Old 09-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Benchwrench's Avatar
Benchwrench Benchwrench is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Circle City
Posts: 1,654
Benchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by glm racers View Post
Thank you.
This is exactly what I've been trying to find
Would you have the procedure to bypass the EGR cooler i.e. use the stock up-pipe, that has been blocked, and re-route the coolant lines from the oil cooler back to the water pump??
I'd like to keep my cost down by blocking the stock up-pipe and using the cooler to support the flex joint.
Also, by eliminating the exhaust flow to the egr valve would the valve send a CEL code??
I have an 03 build date 1/1/03
Thanks,
Gilbert
Thanks guys, glad to be of help here on FTE.
and to answer your question regarding the cooler delete;
There is only one kit that I know that fits what you are looking for however it's very pricy, but it will support the 'y' in the factory up-pipe.
Maybe someone out there knows a cheaper way of supporting the pipe. Or for just over $200 you can get a solid pipe built like what 'firstcoastdiesel' offers.
Otherwise your best bet is to remove the intake to get to the existing egr cooler and mod the thing yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-19-2008, 10:10 AM
glm racers glm racers is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 306
glm racers is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchwrench View Post
Thanks guys, glad to be of help here on FTE.
and to answer your question regarding the cooler delete;
There is only one kit that I know that fits what you are looking for however it's very pricy, but it will support the 'y' in the factory up-pipe.
Maybe someone out there knows a cheaper way of supporting the pipe. Or for just over $200 you can get a solid pipe built like what 'firstcoastdiesel' offers.
Otherwise your best bet is to remove the intake to get to the existing egr cooler and mod the thing yourself.
Benchwrench,
Is this illustration a stock cooler or a modify one? And if it's the latter of the two were can I purchase one.
I went over to the firstcoastdiesel web site, but they only have an up-pipe and a complete intake manifold.
Or do they take your exsisting cooler and modify like the illustration?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-19-2008, 01:23 PM
w_huisman's Avatar
w_huisman w_huisman is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: IA MN SD
Posts: 965
w_huisman has a good reputation on FTE.w_huisman has a good reputation on FTE.
GLM- The bottom three pieces in the picture are used to replace the cooler. The cooler is stock.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-19-2008, 05:35 PM
glm racers glm racers is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 306
glm racers is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by w_huisman View Post
GLM- The bottom three pieces in the picture are used to replace the cooler. The cooler is stock.
Thanks W_huisman,
do you know were I can purchase these parts?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-19-2008, 06:37 PM
jerzydiver's Avatar
jerzydiver jerzydiver is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 180
jerzydiver is starting off with a positive reputation.
The site that has them is Home
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Tim98TA Tim98TA is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: St. Amant, La
Posts: 197
Tim98TA is starting off with a positive reputation.
$595.00?!?!?!!!!!!!!
Damn I could roll my own for that much
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-20-2008, 02:24 AM
w_huisman's Avatar
w_huisman w_huisman is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: IA MN SD
Posts: 965
w_huisman has a good reputation on FTE.w_huisman has a good reputation on FTE.
I don't think that picture is the $595 Liberator kit.

The Liberator website says their $595 kit comes with a solid up-pipe without an EGR flange. The round flange on the end of the flat stock in the picture is for clamping to and capping the EGR connection to the up-pipe. Since the up-pipe in the Liberator kit doesn't have the egr flange, that part in the picture wouldn't be needed.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-22-2008, 10:12 AM
glm racers glm racers is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 306
glm racers is starting off with a positive reputation.
The only part that I'm interested in is the tube & support clamp that re-directs the coolant from the oil cooler back to the water pump. I plan on capping the oem up pipe and supporting it to prevent the flex part from cracking. $600 bucks for those three pieces is ridiculous; so anyone know were I can purchase the tube??
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Benchwrench's Avatar
Benchwrench Benchwrench is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Circle City
Posts: 1,654
Benchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to all
oops, double post
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Benchwrench's Avatar
Benchwrench Benchwrench is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Circle City
Posts: 1,654
Benchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to all
sorry, haha made another mistake. I'm trying to put my post in the tech forum and biffed it again.
I was wanting to add the pictures for future reference.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-28-2008, 03:21 PM
brickie's Avatar
brickie brickie is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: AB/BC
Posts: 3,081
brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.brickie has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by w_huisman View Post
I don't think that picture is the $595 Liberator kit.

The Liberator website says their $595 kit comes with a solid up-pipe without an EGR flange. The round flange on the end of the flat stock in the picture is for clamping to and capping the EGR connection to the up-pipe. Since the up-pipe in the Liberator kit doesn't have the egr flange, that part in the picture wouldn't be needed.
That is the kit they sent me a couple years ago, it had a set of intake gaskets with it.I nearly $h!+ when I opened it and saw what I had paid over 500 bucks for.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Benchwrench's Avatar
Benchwrench Benchwrench is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Circle City
Posts: 1,654
Benchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by glm racers View Post
The only part that I'm interested in is the tube & support clamp that re-directs the coolant from the oil cooler back to the water pump. I plan on capping the oem up pipe and supporting it to prevent the flex part from cracking. $600 bucks for those three pieces is ridiculous; so anyone know were I can purchase the tube??
This picture shows just one way you can do that.
This is what's left of a cooler.
Some crackerhead thought it looked a crackpipe so the name stuck and became dubbed "the crackpipe mod"
At anyrate, this mod will be alot cheaper than $600 and fits the bill to what you were asking. I like the idea too.


Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-29-2008, 04:43 PM
stinky phil 3 stinky phil 3 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12
stinky phil 3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Will this find a way into the tech. folder?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Benchwrench's Avatar
Benchwrench Benchwrench is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Circle City
Posts: 1,654
Benchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to all
Yes, it's already there in the tech folder under the first link entitled "EGR Disconnect Instructions" post #834
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-30-2008, 01:05 PM
glm racers glm racers is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 306
glm racers is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchwrench View Post
This picture shows just one way you can do that.
This is what's left of a cooler.
Some crackerhead thought it looked a crackpipe so the name stuck and became dubbed "the crackpipe mod"
At anyrate, this mod will be alot cheaper than $600 and fits the bill to what you were asking. I like the idea too.


that looks very ingenious. I take it that he cut open a cooler and used the inner tube to complete the water flow passage???

I don't know what a new EGR cooler sells for, but I'm going to start looking at either a used or new one on ebay to perform the crack pipe mod. Surely it can't be more than $600?

I've never pulled my EGR valve, but I now have frequent P0401 codes, so I'm thinking that the valve is sticking.
I have an 03 with 75k miles on a bone stock engine.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Bumper Build 1FastGambler Offroad & 4x4 11 06-05-2014 04:03 PM
Rebuilding the 6.0 VGTurbo Benchwrench 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 54 01-30-2014 12:47 PM
MY 96 CUSTOM HALF CAB PROJECT JERSEY MUD 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco 6 03-23-2011 12:23 PM
Seat Swap mudder460 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 5 11-17-2009 04:28 PM
new floor pan issues mudder460 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 18 09-23-2009 07:01 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
2006, 60, cooler, cost, diesel, egr, f250, ford, forums, insructions, powerstroke, ranger, removal, replace, truck, valve

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 PM.