General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

What is it that is so satisfying in riding a lawn tractor?

Old 09-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is it that is so satisfying in riding a lawn tractor?

MOW THE LAWN - DRUDGE WORK!!!

But sitting in the seat of a mower has a sense of "becoming" to it. That a thing you waited all your life came to you.

YES! I'M there...

(For others I imagine a japanese or mexican gardener fill that space)

An accomplishment...

"NOW I have a lawn, and it is not only mine - but I can manage it..."

It's a strange thing indeed.

Mowing the lawn becomes an obsession - and a time to think. Riding around taming the turf equals freeing up the grey cells and allowing them to free associate. New ideas come in. Good opportunity for a cigar, as I recall.

Until the damned thing breaks down.

At that point all chaos is imagined - a "TRIPLE CANOPY LAWN WITH ARMED ORIENTAL PEOPLE" comes to mind....

SWEAT!!!

DIRTY, NASTY, GRASS CLINGING, MOSQUITO BITTEN SWEAT from pushing a non-powered mower comes into the equasion - and why?

Grass grows, we wanted it to do that. That is why it was planted there to begin with. Preferable to poison ivy and oak and the rest of that stuff, yep? So we did it to ourselves.

I wonder how high grass can really grow. (Seriously)
Left to itself, in it's natural state why should it be disturbed? It would be self-maintaining.....

I never thought much about this before - but why do we cut it at all?

Why not just have a natural "MEADOW" instead of a short clipped lawn?

Why do we do that, it seems so odd as I do think about it....

*I fixed my riding mower, bullfrog is alive and well

Old 09-13-2008, 07:07 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I wonder how high grass can really grow. (Seriously)
Left to itself, in it's natural state why should it be disturbed? It would be self-maintaining.....

I never thought much about this before - but why do we cut it at all?

Why not just have a natural "MEADOW" instead of a short clipped lawn?

Why do we do that, it seems so odd as I do think about it....

*I fixed my riding mower, bullfrog is alive and well[/quote]"

You mean like this? The Nature Conservancy in Oklahoma - Oklahoma Preserve - Tallgrass Prairie

The wife and I each "adopted" a bison as Christmas presents to each other 2 years ago, been members of the Nature Conservancy for 8.

For the "back" 10 acres, the horses do a pretty decent job of keeping it clipped without pay or complaints, but for the "lawn", the rider gives me a chance to drive around in circles and drink beer, while still look like I'm actually doing something.

Pete

Old 09-13-2008, 07:22 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 842 Likes on 761 Posts
It's a lot more satisfying than a push mower.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:29 PM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
Wolfie.. I know of what you speak....I can't do much physical stuff, but I'll not have a crappy yard. I get out the pusher, weed whacker, and tractor the day before. Check the oils, fill the tanks, check string and or blades, and then sit on the porch with a cold one.
The following day... I'm kicking grass ***.
Pusher(tough with a cane) where I can't get the rider, whacking(use crutches here) where I can't get the pusher, scissors where I can't get the whacker. When I'm done, covered in stuff that I'm allergic to, with more cold ones, I look out over my freshly groomed lot with pride and a bit of a stiffy. I did this alone. It looks good. I didn't break anything, run over cats(that's a bad part), line all the implements up by the garden hose to get cleaned off tomorrow(yes it takes me 3 days), and feel as I've done something.
It's been a good 3 days as I hang the whacker in the shed next to the pusher and tarp the rider. More cold ones and scratch Sassy belly. We did well.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I've often wondered if GOATS and chickens would be a good idea. But I don't have fences.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:43 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
Carl has a special place in his heart for his rider. Even parks that baby on the back porch to do oil changes. (sorry Carl) Who could ever forget the hell you caught for that one? OK, I'm guilty of having the same affection for a job well done, just not enough daylight to break out the scissors.

Pete

Old 09-13-2008, 08:51 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
I hate mowing and everything to do with it.

When I have my own place (rural of course), I am going to push mow just enough for fire safety.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:04 PM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by petes79f150
Carl has a special place in his heart for his rider. Even parks that baby on the back porch to do oil changes. (sorry Carl) Who could ever forget the hell you caught for that one? OK, I'm guilty of having the same affection for a job well done, just not enough daylight to break out the scissors.

Pete
Pete...that's my front porch. i'm not proud

Old 09-13-2008, 09:52 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the only way I will ever have a rider is if I move somewhere that has a huge yard or I am physically unable to push mow the yard I have now. Takes me all of 45 minutes to an hour and i need the exercise. Now when I was a kid and had a acre and a half to mow with a push mower,I was the happiest kid alive when my dad backed the truck up to the hill and unloaded a brand new sears 10 horse 36 inch cut rider!!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a job that offers absolutely no sense of satisfaction. The only hobby I have is mowing the lawn and tinkering around the house. I just love sitting on the mower for a couple of hours, smoking a cigar and feeling good about what I just accomplished!

Old 09-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Greywolf
Riding around taming the turf equals freeing up the grey cells and allowing them to free associate...
You wouldn't have to spend so much time mowing if you actually kept the mower on the ground!!! Ha! Ha!! Ha!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 11:14 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by Snowbunny
You wouldn't have to spend so much time mowing if you actually kept the mower on the ground!!! Ha! Ha!! Ha!!!

If Snowbunny ever gets tired of working on windmills, she will be able to make a decent living blackmailing all of the FTE members!!

How big is your picture library, anyway, Lizzie?

I used to like mowing the lawn. But when I just don't seem to have enough hours inthe day, it seems like more of a chore than a pleasure. I do love the smell of the fresh cut grass, and the look of a well kept lawn, though. Matter of fact, I recently bought a slightly used Cub Cadet from HD. It's small, but definitely the best mower I've ever owned.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stu37d
If Snowbunny ever gets tired of working on windmills, she will be able to make a decentliving blackmailing all of the FTE members!!

How big is your library, anyway, Lizzie?
Twenty gigs and counting!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 11:28 PM
wizzard351
Postmaster
hmm whats so great about riding a lawn mower? well itseeing how long you can ride a wheelie!!! thats me on 4 wheels

Old 09-13-2008, 11:45 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Dutch I like mowing the yard and such. I miss my rider I hope to get another one day soon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is it that is so satisfying in riding a lawn tractor?